Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have an offer to travel to Argentina (I live in Philadelphia) about 3 weeks

after my surgury. Anyone here travel that soon after a banding?

I had to make a 4 hour drive 8 days after surgery. I felt fine. The doctor said to stop every hour and walk for a few minutes. If I were you, I would talk to the people at the airline and let them know your situation and make sure you get an aisle seat. Perhaps your doctor can even provide a note.

I have been told by my doctor that it is safe to fly two weeks after surgery. Check with your doctor to make sure. I agree with Billoh, see if you can get an aisle seat and take a note from your doctor. Good luck!

In case I wasn't clear, they like you to move around frequently to avoid blood clots.

If your band is filled in surgery, you may feel some tightness from the band due to the air pressure in the plane. For this reason, I do not eat for a couple of hours before flying. If the flight is long, I will have a light snack mid-flight.

Im about 7 weeks post op and i took a flite to Cali for my birthday (im from Texas) i just recently got my first fill.. The flite for me was really uncomfortable and i had ALOT of gas afterwards. so i would say be careful

I talked to my doc about this because I travel a lot. I had the need to go to India. He suggested I wait 8 weeks for that trip, because food and Water in India is a bit risk - many travelers over end up getting ill and he didn't want to chance that.

But domestic travel he told me was OK once I had recovered from the procedure. I was just in Argentina a few weeks before my surgery - food there is fine - I'd imagine you could easily find/order things that would work post-op.

I say ask your surgeon...let him know about the flight etc. Also at 3 weeks will you be on food-type restriction? It's important not to advance your post op diet too fast. A good talk with your surgeon is your safest option.

My doc said it was ok for me to make the 9 hour drive home the day after surgery as long as i stop every few hours.

Hi there,

I will be just about 3 weeks post-op when I travel to Ireland (from Toronto) for vacation (8 hr flight). The team at the clinic said no problems at all. Just take my Protein powder with me. The good thing is that when I arrive in Ireland I start the pureed diet for one week and then during the second week I can start on soft food (oh ya!!!). The surgeon at my clinic does not put any saline in the band so I was told that once I've healed there will be no restriction. I was given the 14cc band too...not sure why? Geez...even with band surgery I needed the "plus-size" band! Ahhhhhh! Maybe that's a good thing though - not sure. I don't see the surgeon until late August but I'm going to ask what her criteria is for choosing the 10cc vs the 14cc band. Anyone out there know?

Good luck on your flight.

Mary

I just flew for the first time since getting my band in February. I have only one piece of advice, do not eat right after you get off the plane. I tried eating an hour after and had PB. and it was the first one since getting my band. I asked my DR and she said it was because the air pressure can cause any air in the band to expand and cause your band to feel tighter for a few hours.