Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

worried my band could be stretched

I don't know what is going on with my band. I have been having trouble getting in Water, so I am making myself drink more. This past week I have been so hungry and stressed........so I ''forgot' a few times and gulped my drinks. By the time I realized it I had a good 10 ounces or more in my tummy.

Tonight I ate bread and my normal amount of food ( 1 cup plus a little if I forget to measure). My weight loss has started to go down again, but I am starving and sometimes have to go back and eat more after I drink and then wait.

I called the office and they said to come in tomorrow for a fill. I have 2cc in my 14 cc band. We are leaving town, so I opted to wait a week. After tonight's pain ( not sure if I had the bread get stuck or what) I decided to go on soft foods and measure again for a few days to see if it gets better.

I also made an appointment to see someone about stress and the WTH attitude I showed. The only pain I have had was a strange sensation when I was turning over in bed. It was growling at me, but hurt like I was over full. This was after drinking. I roll one way and the other and it growled. I did burp some after but the uncomfortable feeling was there.

If you aren't eating right then you need to not get a fill! If you get a fill and still eat like you were preband then a fill is just going to cause you problems!

I agree. I am taking steps to prevent more issues as best I can.

I am not eating like I did pre-band, but I did gulp. I am so thirsty it is driving me nuts!

I can chug Water with no problem because it just slides right through the band. bread is a no no with the band. Also stress can cause you to get tighter!

Bread is an absolute NO-No especially this recently post op. I attempted toast the other day and almost called 911 because I started to choke as I was vomiting (not pB'ing- Projectile vomiting) Have them do a scan to see if everything is still in place. Water & smooth beverages should be no problem going down, what was the time ratio between when you ate & drank, because that could have an effect too...

I follow the do not mix liquids and solids rule. Drink liquids 30 mins before or after solids. Not at the same time. Liquids do slide thru the band and that is why you are able to drink as much liquids as you want. I have had the growling sound. but I noticed that it was if I had eaten a couple hours before bedtime. I try not to eat anything after 6 or 7 pm. for that reason only.

I can drink down has much liquid as a want. I have never had any problems with the amount I drink or how fast. I know it is not good to get all full of air but I have not had any problems drinking fast or how much. But... I have not had a fill yet and I haven't had ANY problems with bread or getting stuck at all.

bkmom, it sounds like you are just in need of a fill. If you are eating a cup of food and still hungry, then you need more restriction. I was feeling the same thing right before my first two fills. And don't worry, you haven't stretched anything. I asked my doc about that b/c I was worried about the exact same thing! He said stretching your stomach would take time, with constant overeating. So, even gulping your Water (which I do also) isn't going to stretch your tummy because like a previous poster said, it goes straight through. That's why you can gulp it!

Don't worry too much. Enjoy your vacation, come back and get a fill. You'll feel much better. :)

As I said before my surgeon said they don't recommend fills if you are going against the guidelines (eating bread/pasta/rice, eating liquid calories, ect) so I would say cut out the bread and stuff first then get a fill. If you get a fill and continue to eat bread it could lead to band slippage or pouch stretching...just becareful and try to follow the rules of bands :) Good luck!

I am confused as my doctor said breads could be added in moderation. Typically toasted as un-toasted gets stuck. I have scheduled my fill for next week and will talk with the nutritionist. Thank you for your advice.

Mine tells her patients to stay away from bread, Pasta, and rice, but if I really need to have bread to make sure that it is toasted. However, I need to eat my Protein and veggies/fruit first.

I'm allowed bread, pasta and rice...whole grain,2 servings a day...follow your dr's orders,not just people on here...because it's not always the "right" info...

I agree...but they asked for our opinions so that's what we were giving them... :thumbup: