Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band or Realize?

I am thinking Lap Band so far. I dont like the way the Realize closes.

Although I have read that the Realize band has a lower slippage rate at 2%-3%, as compared to Lap Bands 3%-5%.

Anyone have any idea what they're choosing yet?

I am thinking Realize for myself becuase of the slightly lower slippage rate, also a smaller port, and website is a lil plus also...I am still undecided though. Dr. also says that he may change my decision while operating if he sees necessary. My Dr. says that they will both have the same effect, as long as I'm doing the right eating and exercising.

I am thinking Lap Band so far. I dont like the way the Realize closes.

Although I have read that the Realize band has a lower slippage rate at 2%-3%, as compared to Lap Bands 3%-5%.

Anyone have any idea what they're choosing yet?

Hmm....i just was banded on 7/7 and I was never even given a choice as to what band i would get. The doctor showed me what he uses...and until they handed me a card that said "realize band"....i had no idea which one it was. This is a medical group that specializes in gastic bypass and lapband procedures. I guess i feel they have a better idea of what works best for most patients. I dont know if i would have wanted to choose actually.

I was given a choice and chose the Lapband Allergan. I liked the fact there are two sizes Standard and Large. My surgeon decided which size once she got in there. She chose the Standard for me which holds 10cc. I liked the port on the LapBand better. It is higher. I liked the fact that the Lapband has the separate pillows for saline containment. Most of the seminars I attended had both available to look at. The LapBand does have a website it just isn't as interactive as the Realize. But I was more interested about what I put inside my body and didn't care about the website. I did get a full package from LapBand and the option to register. I registered on the website and received an permanent plastic card to cary with the serial number of my band, the name of my surgeon and her phone number.

Mine is going to be a LapBand. Surgeon preference, I figure he is the expert, so leaving the decision to him is hopefully my best bet.

Lapband for me ! I asked my surgeon and she said that based on difference of anatomy she likes the lapband for women since we tend to have "smaller" stomachs then men. She uses the realize for the men since it is technically wider and less prone to slipping with bigger stomachs.

You know.... I didn't get a choice either. My doctor will select the one he needs to use, considering he's doing hiatal heria surgery at the same time as the band!

My surgen uses the Allergan (sp). I can't say that it matters to me one way or the other. I've heard (gossip) that 99.9 percent of slippage is caused by not following the rules! I don't know if that's true or not, but I plan to take no chances. If I am going to go to this extreme to be healthy, why would I chance it trying to eat a food that is known to cause trouble and possible slippage!

Patty

I don't really have a choice. My surgeon uses the Allergan Lap-Band. :wink2:

I was asked which one I preferred and I said I didn't care. I didn't know until after my surgery, but he used the Realize band in me.

I was given a choice and chose the Lapband Allergan. I liked the fact there are two sizes Standard and Large. My surgeon decided which size once she got in there. She chose the Standard for me which holds 10cc. I liked the port on the LapBand better. It is higher. I liked the fact that the Lapband has the separate pillows for saline containment. Most of the seminars I attended had both available to look at. The LapBand does have a website it just isn't as interactive as the Realize. But I was more interested about what I put inside my body and didn't care about the website. I did get a full package from LapBand and the option to register. I registered on the website and received an permanent plastic card to cary with the serial number of my band, the name of my surgeon and her phone number.

I registered on the Lap Band site this week. How long from when you registered did you get your card?