Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there just trying to see it from all angles and opinions:biggrin:. What has been the suckiest part of this for you as well as the best part? Does anyone regret having the surgery? Please add post to this so i know what i am getting into. I will be attending a seminar soon!

What sucks, the most is that I thought had done all of the research but still feel I did not know everything. I did not learn about banderst hell until joining this site. I thought this would be something that not only would help me eat less but would also curve that craving and that is not what happen. I am very happy I got the surgery and I have lost 35 pounds from 03/30/09. But this is really hard work. When they say it is just a tool that is what is meant you have to really be ready to loose weight. It is slow but steady. :rolleyes:

It sucks getting stuck. I didn't know about that until I read it on here. I don't recall my doctor's info mentioning that. It is learning a whole new way of eating but, I needed something drastic to help me lose weight and hopefully keep it off this time!

The most difficult part for me has been trying to find the sweet spot. Too loose, too tight, too loose, too tight. I think it's difficult not because of the doctor visits, but more because I have to readjust my eating habits with each adjustment to the band.

This is by no means to imply that I regret my decision. I absolutely do not.

What sucked the most for me was getting stomach flu right out of the hospital. I thought OMG, I have really messed up getting this band. Once the flu was over, the only other sucky thing was the liquid stage waiting for the mushy stage. Once I hit the mushy stage all was right with the world. Every day I hit the scale I have lost a little more. That is my reward and my undies getting looser and looser. LOL. I will say one thing I have said over and over on these threads becuase you said you are going to a seminar. I visited several seminars before I found the surgeon that was right for me. I am so glad I took the time to go and make sure. Her care and the office staff have been one of the best parts of this process. I don't regret one minute of it.

I am fairly new here but besides all the per surgery nerves and research the hardest time post op for me was July 4th, I was at a BBQ and doing great not eating because I was on liquids at that point. I had avoided all of my favorite foods, feeling good, until someone put a tray of hot dogs fresh off the grill right in front of me!! I stayed strong and didn't take one, even though they are my favorite BBQ food. I laugh now because I could have been a commercial for the Good Devil/Bad Devil on my shoulder ads I have seen! I worry about gettting stuck, or streatching the pouch but I am trying hard not to have to experience that.

The best so far has been to get on the scale, 3 weeks post-op and be 21 lbs down! Nothing beats that feeling. :rolleyes:

I am fairly new here but besides all the per surgery nerves and research the hardest time post op for me was July 4th, I was at a BBQ and doing great not eating because I was on liquids at that point. I had avoided all of my favorite foods, feeling good, until someone put a tray of hot dogs fresh off the grill right in front of me!! I stayed strong and didn't take one, even though they are my favorite BBQ food. I laugh now because I could have been a commercial for the Good Devil/Bad Devil on my shoulder ads I have seen! I worry about gettting stuck, or streatching the pouch but I am trying hard not to have to experience that.

The best so far has been to get on the scale, 3 weeks post-op and be 21 lbs down! Nothing beats that feeling. :rolleyes:

Thank You for that Grandma26. When I read this I laughed myself silly because hot dogs were one of my favorite things. I loved them steamed in a bun with nothing on them. The Varsity in Atlanta called that a naked wiener. We didn't do July4th picnic just for that reason. Too Funny.:sad:

I:wub:love my band. I don't like to get stuck and PB but to me the worst part is I am a bouncer. I will lose 2-3 lbs and then I will gain them back and do that for about 3 weeks. Then I lose those lbs for good and start all over again. It took me awhile to figure this out. But I am happy I have lost 74 lbs so far.

Good luck

Without hesitation, for me it was the Protein shakes. I had 3 ad day for 2 weeks pre-op, then for another week post-op. I reached the point where just the thought of a Protein shake gave me the shivers, and stopped cold turkey. Wish I had know about other Protein liquid alternatives prior to starting the process; e.g. Isopure and other brand protein waters, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein powder.

I'm 5 weeks post op, and including the 2 week pre-op diet, I have lost 30 lbs, and am thrilled. I have been lucky so far not to have had any problems.

"the hardest time post op for me was July 4th, I was at a BBQ and doing great not eating because I was on liquids at that point. I had avoided all of my favorite foods, feeling good, until someone put a tray of hot dogs fresh off the grill right in front of me!! I stayed strong and didn't take one, even though they are my favorite BBQ food. "

too funny.... i had the identical experience on the 4th of July...it was my firs day of preop liquids:(

as far as the worsed for me... i only had my surgery yesterday so i don't have much experience to draw on, but the first 3-4 days of preop liquid was hardest for me. like you, i am afraid of bandster hell that i hear so much about:scared2:

Bandster hell was a little rough..... I started getting hungry at 7 days out from surgery. On Day 10, my doc advanced me ahead of schedule because I was so hungry. Thank goodness he's flexible because that saved the day. Since then, I really have no negatives to report. I've lost 70 pounds since I started this (surgery on 2/10/09) and I feel fantastic. Only wish I'd done it sooner.

What sucked the most for me was getting stomach flu right out of the hospital. I thought OMG, I have really messed up getting this band. Once the flu was over, the only other sucky thing was the liquid stage waiting for the mushy stage. Once I hit the mushy stage all was right with the world. Every day I hit the scale I have lost a little more. That is my reward and my undies getting looser and looser. LOL. I will say one thing I have said over and over on these threads becuase you said you are going to a seminar. I visited several seminars before I found the surgeon that was right for me. I am so glad I took the time to go and make sure. Her care and the office staff have been one of the best parts of this process. I don't regret one minute of it.

This is WONDERFUL advice!!! You don't have any idea right now how important it is going to be to have supportive aftercare!!! Sadly there are lots of surgeons jumping on the "lapband wagon" for strictly financial reasons. I think your best bet is to find a doctor (and staff) that is going to be there for you when you start asking yourself what the hell have i done (and you will ask that at some point).

The band is different than other WLS because it requires on going maintenance. It takes time to get to a place where your band is functioning for you at full capacity the way it is "sold" to us all. The hardest part of this journey is PATIENCE....and you will hear it said over and over, you didn't get fat over a 1 month period, your not going to lose it that way either.

Good luck on your research, I hope you can find the doctor that is the right fit for you!!

~Monica

GouldMama, bandster hell is that evil period of time after your surgery when your hunger comes back with a vengance but you have to finish the all liquid phase, the mushy stage, get to real food and then FINALLY start getting fills. During that time, it's tough to stick to the eating plan because your band isn't helping yet. I call that period "white knuckling it". It does go away once you start getting fills. As your fills take you closer and closer to your sweet spot, it gets easier. Use this time frame to really learn how you're supposed to eat. If (or should I say "when") you get hungry before 4 hours after a meal, eat a snack of some protein! Protein takes the longest to digest of any food you can eat and therefore stays in your stomach longer and therefore makes you feel full longer. Don't drink your protein either... Eat it.

I am 3 weeks post op, and haven't had a fill. So, I am in "Bandster Hell". That place where you are hungry, and have no restriction. In addition, I am on the "transition" stage of my post-op diet, so although I finally graduated from "mushies", I am still on soft foods -- so my food choices are still limited.

Otherwise, I have had no pain, no complications, and BEST of all, I AM losing weight!

Good luck!