Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year bandiversary

YOU ARE WHAT I HOPE TO BE IN ONE YEAR!!! Thank you for the wonderful post and for inspiring us all. I love to hear great stories like this & it reminds me that I truly did make the right decision when I chose the band.

Congratulations & keep going!! Nothing can stop you now!!

So happy for you hope I reach such success and no weight gain in a year now that is sensational good luck

Congratulations, Pam! You're an inspiration to us all. I so love reading these success stories and can't wait til I'm one of them myself lol :rolleyes:

I think that's the beauty of this band; I took a break but didn't loose my momentum like with regular diets. On a regular diet, when I would get bored or tired of it, I'd gain back what I'd lost and then some. With this band, I took a break and stopped losing... but I haven't gained! How encouraging is that?

That's so encouraging. I think its hard for our minds and our bodies to cope with constant food restriction and fast weight loss. Both need a break every now and then but that's where I fall down too.

Well done on getting to a year!

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Congratulations on your one-year mark!!! You are an inspiration to all us.

Thanks kids for all the kind words and especially the unfailing support. Last July I found LBT, with no real plan for banding, just curiousity, but not really thinking it was something I'd ever really do. I was sure I'd have to get bypass since my insurance doesn't cover the band, and I was terrified about it.

In the beginning I spent hours here, reading stories like my own, and thinking ohhh how great banding could be. I read about the american surgeons, and then got my curiousity piqued about the mexican surgeons and groups. Prior to LBT, going to Mexico for anything had never even crossed my mind. But the more I read here, the more clear it became to me that this was it, this was what I needed to fix the mess I'd made of my body and my health. Mexico just might be something I could actually do!

Once I knew I'd found what I'd been looking for I began seeking a way to get it done. That was in the beginning of September. I researched Drs across the USA and Mexico. I researched the different bands, and decided I liked the Midband, and then after a couple of phone conversations, and many emails from previous patients, decided on Obesity Goodbye's package.

Once all that was decided; I brainstormed with my husband to gather funding for the procedure and trip. I read posts from others and how they did it without insurance help. How money was borrowed, begged, saved, financed, multiple credit cards maxed etc... Like many others, we put up some from savings, and financed the rest through a medical loan company.

We realized my husband couldn't really go as the kids were in school, and he had no vacation time left for the year. I asked my mom to go and she gave a resounding YES!

The senior bandsters gave me great packing advice, what to do/not do, what to take/leave at home, what to look for, what to buy/avoid, and what to expect in general while in Tijuana... I do believe Delarla gave me sound advice regarding the donkeys/alcohol/mexicali's... though I can't find it, I remember laughing my ass off... and in the end feeling very prepared and barely nervous about it all.

We got to Tijuana on Sept 20 and I was banded on Sept 21. Weight loss successes aside, I'm so very proud of myself for taking this on, and getting it done. I'm very happy about the success with it all, but proud mostly that I actually went through with such a previously unbelievable thing. The rest is just bonus bang.

During my research, and initially after banding I wasn't absolutely convinced it would work for me. Every other promising weight loss venture had failed me, and hadn't cost nearly as much, so my mind had a hard time accepting that the band wouldn't fail me too. One year later, I get it. It will work for me if I work with it. If I don't it's gonna sit there waiting patiently until I do.

I bought more Vitamins and Protein powder today at Walmart. I've still got work to do!

Thank you... yes I did... I bought a tanning package so I wouldn't lose my summer tan, (now that I'm not afraid I'll break the plexiglass in the beds), and new clothes in a size 14! This time last year I was wearing a 24. That change in itself was the best gift of all.

That sure was a nice year. I hadn't felt that good about me in years, and I haven't in the last 2 years since. The following 6 months from this post would reveal erosion with an 80% migration. I would regain about 30lbs before band removal, and all the rest of the lost weight in the next 2 years. I went from a high of 280lbs to 172 to 284.

I am back even higher than where I started, no band, and obese with painful heels and elevated cholesterol included for good measure. I wanted the band because it was reversible. It reversed all right

I attempted to keep the weight off, but it just wouldn't stop. I joined nutrisystem and followed it strictly but gained instead of lost or maintained. My body saved everything from the stress of the erosion I guess.

It took me until now to know for sure what I should do, and of course get the financing together. I was paying for a band I no longer had for a while.

After tons of research, I've decided to revise to the VSG procedure with Dr Pleatman. He's close to home, I really like what I've read about him. He is very quick and concise when corresponding via email. His office staff is very knowledgeable and friendly, and his price rivals Mexico.

I am scheduled for my revision August 26th, 2008. I hope to be as happy one year from today, as I was when I started this thread. Losing the one weight controlling tool that really worked for me was devastating. Wish me luck.

I'm shooting for permanence this time!

Oh Pam that is so tragic that you had to have your band removed. I can just imagine your frustration.

Can you tell me what causes band erosion, is there something that us newbies should be aware of so that we can avoid this happening to any of us?

Good luck on your new journey and you have alredy had the sweet taste of good health so I am sure that you will do so well.

My heart goes out to you.

We've been bombarded with so may advertisements of weight loss miracles (that will work for YOU!!!! <not>) that we've become jaded and figure everything out there is just snake oil. I had the same misgivings initially myself. The old "Well, it works for SOME of the people SOME of the time, but PROBABLY not ME." HA! For once I am so thankful I was WRONG!!! And it is what you put into it. It's a partnership. Good going!

These things do happen. Glad you are investigating and being proactive to get a new plan together. It shows your determination. You will succeed!

These things do happen. Glad you are investigating and being proactive to get a new plan together. It shows your determination. You will succeed!

Hi, Kacee. I see you are now one year banded and below your goal. Do you still go to Dr. Spivak's support groups? I just got banded by him last week and plan on attending my first support group meeting on 8/5.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It went from amazing to not so – in fact the complete opposite.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I am so very sorry to hear of your troubles. Please keep us up to date on how you’re doing.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Good luck with your new procedure, and I hope you find the answer to your weight struggles you desperately are looking for.<o:p></o:p>