Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this Right?

I had my first fill about 12 days ago. The doctor did it under the flouro.. I stayed on liquids for about 1 1/2 days. I can eat but the first several bites kind of hurt. I have decreased my food consumption a lot! My real question is how do I know if I am too tight? I can drink, actually gulp Water or any other kind of liquid. If I eat too much I am in pain. I actually stop eating at this point but it never seems like it is very much food. But then again if I knew how much to eat I wouldn't have had to get the band.

Seppi, you sound like you have restriction, not too tight. Some of the signs of being too tight are

1 Not being able to drink liquids

2 Reflux

3 Pbing often when you eat solids.

The pain you are feeling the first few bites is normal, I have the same thing and I'm 17 months post op. You will learn what foods work for you and what do not but you hit the nail on the head when you said you decreased your food consumption, the band is doings it's job then, this is what it was designed to do.

Hi Seppi, yep, you're in the land of restriction!!

It is indeed hard to fathom that in a very few bites it can feel like you can't eat any more. Eating very slowly, chewing everything, and -- most importantly -- waiting a full minute between bites can help, but you ARE going to be eating way less than before.

And that's the point. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the replies, I was really worried. You have put my fears to rest. I have never been a slow eater so this will be an adjustment.

Hi Steppi,

I too had a fill yesterday. I can drink any liquid but food hurts. I might be eating too fast according to the other posts. I just know it hurts. I feel like I will pb if I eat solids, even cottage cheese. For you experts out there how long does this last or is this restriction? I don't want to worry over nothing. I will try waiting a full minute tomorrow to see if that helps. I tried chipped turkey and could not eat but two bites then I thought I would get sick. Any other advice would be appreciated.

I had a fill a week and a half ago and I too just started to feel different about 3 days ago but now I can hardley eat anything I seems the first 2 bites hurt like hell and then if I wait a little bit I can eat a little more with out pain is this normal I am very concerned with this I have'nt had to pb it back up but I felt pretty close lots of times. I can drink Water or anything with no problem but food just hurts at first is this normal anyone!!

I am just worried about slippage

Carrie

A sensation of .. clenching (I guess) ... isn't uncommon when you're learning to live with your new restriction. It really does make a big difference in the size and timing of the bites you can take, and learning what that threshhold is can be tough! Try a warm drink shortly before eating, and really rest after the first and second bites. Get your esophagus sort of primed so it knows food is coming down.

Then take it slow! If you can drink readily and can eat really well-chewed bites, you're not too tight. You're there!!

Steppi,

By now my fill has settled (or the swelling gone down) and I am able to eat small amounts. I am amazed at how much I can't eat. Now the desire to eat more is another problem. I guess knowing it will hurt or make you sick really helps with that decision. I hope you are doing better with your fill also. I took Alex's advice and took smaller bites and waited before the second bite. I guess I thought I could do as I did before the fill. I finally know what restriction is.

You are right, I started eating really slow, the rest of the family will be done and cleaned up before I am finished. I get full relatively fast ( small portions) but I am OK with that. I don't know that I have ever felt full before, not Thanksgiving full, but satisfied. I am thrilled! I cannot believe how fast the weight is coming off. I haven't been this low in 5 years and then it was only briefly. This is exactly what I needed.Thank you for all your help everyone.