Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July's Independent Marchies!!!

Hello my fellow Marchies!!

(Crickets chirping...)

Where is everybody?!?!?!?

Oh well guess everyone is busy this holiday weekend... Hope everyones 4th was a fun one...

So how are we all doing this month... Hows the progress??

It seems like i am officially stuck at my current weight without being able to crack the 168/169lb marker...

I know my fill level is good and i have optimal restriction, i guess my problem is my eating habits haven't been following the good old bandster rules... and the exercise needs to be kicked up another notch!!!

I say we all vow to go back to those bandster rules this month and get the ball rolling again!!!

Anyone with me??

Here are the good old rules as a nice reminder:

• Avoid drinking liquids during or immediately after meals as liquids tend to flush food through the stomach pouch. This prevents you from getting that prolonged feeling of satisfaction needed to help you eat less.

• As always, staying hydrated throughout the day is important, however. Drink at least six to eight cups of Water per day, and make sure you consume them between meals.

• Chew your food thoroughly and eat small bites so that the food can easily fit through the opening to your stomach pouch. This will help you avoid the problem of food blocking the stomach outlet.

• Only eat when you are hungry and no more than three small meals a day, but you must make sure that these meals contain adequate nutrition. Remember, your stomach can only hold about one-quarter of a cup of food, or two ounces, at a time. Stop eating when your hunger is gone or when you feel comfortable.

The general nutrition guide below can help you create good and healthy meals that contain adequate nutrients but low sugar and fat:

• Good Food Choices
    • Fruits and vegetables
    • One to two servings of fresh fruit daily
    • Two to three servings of fresh vegetables daily

[*]Breads and cereals

• One small portion of low-sugar cold or hot cereal
    • Half to one slice of toasted whole wheat or rye bread each day.
    • Note: Some patients have difficulty eating bread

[*]Meat, fish, poultry, eggs

• One to two ounces of meat, fish, or poultry-or one egg each day.
    • Remove all visible fat from the meat.
    • Remove the skin from poultry.
    • Prepare the meat in ways that need very little fat. Grilling, steaming, microwaving, or boiling are all good ways to do this.
    • Note: Some patients have difficulty eating meat.

[*]Dairy products

• Milk and yogurt are calories in liquid form. However, these types of food have Calcium, which makes them an important part of a healthy daily diet, so choose a maximum of 2 cups of skimmed milk or low-fat yogurt and 1 ounce of cheese a day.

[*]Fats

• Restrict the use of fat to 3 to 4 teaspoons of margarine, butter, or oil per day. You can have low-fat salad dressings and Mayonnaise in moderation.

[*]Drinks

• Drink as many calorie-free liquids per day as you wish (though not with meals).
    • Suitable drinks are tea or coffee (black) with low-calorie sweetener, water, non-carbonated beverages containing few or no calories
    • Some doctors have reported that carbonated beverages may contribute to enlargement of the small pouch and recommend they be avoided.

[*]Foods to Avoid

Some foods deliver a concentrated supply of calories but little nutritional value. These foods should be avoided whenever possible. They include:

• syrups
    • cakes
    • jam
    • chips
    • pastries
    • Alcoholic drinks should also be consumed in moderation: for example, one glass of wine per day.

[*]Common Problem Foods

Some foods have difficulty passing through the stomach opening created by the LAP-BAND® System and may cause blockage. These include:

• dry meat
    • shrimp
    • untoasted or doughy bread
    • rice
    • peanut butter
    • fibrous vegetables like corn, asparagus, and celery
    • nuts
    • greasy or fried food
    • membrane of citrus fruits

I got everything directly off the lapband site... I figured we all may need a little jog in the memory once in a while...:(

Oh and tdont forget the most important rule!!!

PROTEIN Protein PROTEIN ALWAYS FIRST!!!

I'm pretty sure that is well drilled into our minds.... but i can honestly say i haven exactly been following that rule very well lately!!!

Edited by Jeni 85

Thanks Jeni,

I think we all need a wake up call every now and again. Thing going pretty good right now. Yes and excerise is most important.

Had a quite 4th. Husband gone on his annual campout, so its really quiet at my house.

Carol

Jeni,

Thanks for posting the rules. I read every one of them! It's been a while since I've done that.

I needed the jolt!

Hope my fellow Marchies are having a good summer!

Hello Everyone! Glad to see our thread is still alive with no help from slackers like me! Of course I come back only when I have problems....:crying:

Well, I went in for a fill last Monday only to find out that my band was empty again. I have a leak somewhere...:thumbdown: The good news is my Dr. finally acknowledged that there is a problem and will run some tests in 6 weeks at my next appt to find out where the leak is.

My current problem is I was filled to 1.5cc last Monday and was absolutely miserable all last week. I was barely getting down liquids, threw up twice, chest pain, etc. I tried to stick it out since I have a leak figuring this tightness will not last very long. On Friday, just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore I called the nurse. She advised me to go to the emergency room if it was unbearable or I could come in on Monday to have some taken out. I decided not go to the ER on Friday and I actually felt pretty good all weekend. I was able to drink more liquids and have been eating a few bites of Protein as well.

The only problem is I have to sit up at night to sleep because I spit up whenever I lay flat. I know this may sound crazy but with all the weight I've gained and not feeling any restriction for the past 6 months I'd rather spit up at night then end up back at square one again with no restriction. All the pain is gone, I am able to eat, and the spitting up at night is subsiding as well.

To be safe, I know I should be going in today to have some taken out but I think I'm just going to ride this one out because this restriction and weight loss is fantastic and something I haven't had in a long time. Since I have a leaking issue this restriction will be short lived anyway until that problem is resolved.

Last Monday 210lbs...today 196lbs!!!!!!

Well, thanks for letting me vent!

Have a great week all!!! :biggrin:

Tammy J,

Sorry you are having so much trouble, but glad your happy the weight loss this last week. Its just not fun having to lose that way. You would think the doctor would have found a way to get you in before 6 weeks. That's a long time to wait.

Some of us are still around posting from time to time. Guess most of us are either really happy with our weight loss or disppointed in our weight loss. Don't hear from many of the bandsters anymore, but would love some updates, even its not good. Its the support that I enjoy the most.

Take care Tammy and let us know how you are doing.

Carol

Hey tammy nice to hear from you.. sorry about the band issues...:wub:

i on the other hand am completely stuck btw 168-170lbs and cant get it to budge... i actually went back to the good old bandster rules and excercising again and still nothing it is getting very frustrating..:thumbup:

i only need a slight fill i have some restriction but not quite at the sweet spot anymore...:thumbup:

i guess i just need to be more patient with my body because it is being stubborn!!!!:mad:

oh well, i just want to get to 165-160 by aug 17 when i leave for poland.. that gives me 5 wks.. 1-2lbs per week should be possib le but if my body keeps doing the same i wonyt accomplish this:crying:..

i guess we are all having issues... :eek:

so how are the rest of the marchies doing.. please update:wink:

Hi,

Well, I am still doing Zumba. I have been watching Ruby and her struggles with being bored at the gym, would love to blog and tell her to Zumba.

Although the weight is coming off very slowly I am contented.

I know I am losing inches a few here and there, and I know if I go easy on my band hopefully I will have it for a very long time, which is a good thing.

Juli loved the pictures.

Tammy so sorry about your leak, yikes!

Jeni thanks for reposting the rules. This time of year I think we probably all fall into that darn ice cream, shake, hell.

It is a good wake up call not to drink those calories.

Well, I am so glad Hubby and I came up with a solution to warding off a pbing episode. We found if he taps my back pretty hard it relieves that pain.

I am going to San Fransisco next week with a friend. I told her what hubby does. She laughed and said she has no problem "burping me' it should be a sight for sore eyes LOL

But I plan to be good and all the steep walking should help.

Well, have a good week everyone!

Anyone on Facebook?

I'm on Facebook feel fee to add me Jennifer Makowski. Chapter

Hi,

Well, I am still doing Zumba. I have been watching Ruby and her struggles with being bored at the gym, would love to blog and tell her to Zumba.

Although the weight is coming off very slowly I am contented.

I know I am losing inches a few here and there, and I know if I go easy on my band hopefully I will have it for a very long time, which is a good thing.

Juli loved the pictures.

Tammy so sorry about your leak, yikes!

Jeni thanks for reposting the rules. This time of year I think we probably all fall into that darn ice cream, shake, hell.

It is a good wake up call not to drink those calories.

Well, I am so glad Hubby and I came up with a solution to warding off a pbing episode. We found if he taps my back pretty hard it relieves that pain.

I am going to San Fransisco next week with a friend. I told her what hubby does. She laughed and said she has no problem "burping me' it should be a sight for sore eyes LOL

But I plan to be good and all the steep walking should help.

Well, have a good week everyone!

Anyone on facebook?

Hi everyone. This month sure is flying by. How is everyone doing.

Everything is still same on my front. Take care and let us know how your doing.

my dr. put e on a pill to control my migraines.. and evil little pill caused me to gain 5lbs.. im so depressed about this.. and to make things worse the pill isnt even helping!!!

so anyways how is everyone else doing?