Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've just joined a calorie counting website and have logged in my calories for today, I've only eaten 360 calories today when I need 2000!! I have also realised that I'm not eating nearly enough Protein (which would probably explain why I feel like I'm still always hungry)...

I need some ideas on quick, easy "snacks" that I can have that have plenty of protein in them....what are you all having to keep you going and get your calories uP?? Thanks in advance!!!

Just wondering why you would need 2000 calories. Most diets recommend between 1000 - 1200 for weight loss.

Are you sure you have the correct figure?

Yes, I put in my weight and height and it said 2000 calories. I didn't think it was unusual, I have heard a lot of people on here say that are required to have that amount.

Edited by TeganRheana

Hi!

Congrats on being banded and your success thus far. I agree with the previous post that it seems 2000 is too many calories, but if that's what you doctor recommends, then you should follow that. My doctor recommends 900-1200 calories a day.

Anyway, you were asking about Protein. I love having 1 or 2 Protein shakes a day and that really helps me. I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder to make my shakes and I feel really good about using it. I've done a lot of research on Protein Shakes and this brand gives you the best Protein you can get. It also tastes great and is reasonably priced. You can purchase it on-line and see that 1 scoop of the powder gives you 20 grams of protein (mixed with skim milk you get a total of 28 grams!). I also like to reach for a hard boiled egg if I want something solid. It's a great source of protien and fills you up.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work!

Lisa :tongue2:

If you put your weight in and it says 2000 calories I would think that means 2000 calories to maintain your current weight which is not what you are looking for. My surgeon recommended 1000 calories a day. I would think 1000 to 1500 calories a day would be good. Can you check with your surgeon to be sure?

2000 is definitely on the high side -- my doctor recommends 1000 to 1200 per day. So, it should be easier to get to your total!

For Protein, I'd go with fresh delicious fish -- maybe some poached salmon. (I like to poach it in a bit of Water with 1 tsp Dijon mustard, a splash of white wine and some capers.) It's fresh, healthy, low-cal, high-protein and delicious.

Sounds like the calorie counter will be a great way to keep track of things once you Iron out the amount you should have. I hope it is helpful!

Catherine

I log my food and exercise on dailyplate.com and remember when I first signed up it gave me a higher calorie count too, according to my height and weight. I bypassed that and just said I wanted to eat 1200 calories a day (per my doc's office).

Just to be safe, check with your doctor or nutritionist on how many calories they want you to have a day. They are the ultimate resource for you to make sure you are following their plan.

Best of luck!

I eat 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day. Good Protein Snacks include low fat cottage cheese, low fat cheese, a few steamed shrimp. A half cup of low fat cottage cheese has 13 grams of protein! Yeah, I know. I never really paid attention to the nutrition label on cottage cheese. I just like it, LOL. Then I watched an episode of Biggest Loser once and the challenge was to arrange a selection of food in the order of how much protein each item had. Every contestant failed because nobody knew that cottage cheese was the highest amount of protein of all the choices. And it's got Calcium, which you need too!

Hello,

You may find the following recipe worth trying. You can substitute the chicken for ground lean beef, lean pork loin, turkey....

chicken Lettuce Wraps

1 head of iceburg lettuce

1 cup mushrooms sliced

1 1/2 to 2 LBs thin cut chicken breast

3 garlic cloves chopped

1 red bell pepper diced

1 can bamboo shoots drained

3 scallions chopped

3 TBSP Hoisin sauce (in the grocery isle with asian noodles) This is what makes it have the great flavor, it is also the highest carb count

1 TBSP low sodium soy sauce( you could use only soy but I love the flavor of Hoisin sauce, just use it sparingly)

Cut Chilled lettuce head into 4 wedges. Take one wedge and seperate the leaves in a neat stack of wedges.

Preheat a large skillet to high and add the oil to the pan ( I used seaseme oil but olive oil or veg will work too). Add chicken to the pan and cook until the pink is mostly gone. Add the garlic and scallions. Cook for one minute.

Add the chopped pepper, bamboo, and mushrooms. Cook for another minute. (If you want to add any bean sprouts now is the time)

Add the hoisin and soy sauce, tossing to coat the mixture evenly. Transfer the hot chicken to a platter next to the lettuce. To eat place the mixture in a piece of the lettuce and wrap loosely. AND ENJOY- you'll have plenty for leftovers.

By the way, 2000 calories defeats your goal. Please check w/your doctor.

2000 is a bit much, honestly, if you're around 1200 to 1500 that's a safe sensible level for most women to lose weight and many women have to go more like 1000 or below.

I *should* be able to eat about 2800 calories to maintain at my height and activity level. There's no damn way I could get away with that - eating that much made me obese!

Protein Snacks - well, I often hard boil a few eggs at a time and leave those in the fridge. You can just eat a cold hard boiled egg or spread it on some crackers.

A piece of low fat cheese.

A small handful of nuts

Peanut Butter spread on apple slices - suprisingly yummy

a yogurt

You've probably noticed we're not encouraged to focus on the Protein quite so much in Australia and wholegrain carbs arent banned, but you're right, you will be hungry if you're not eating enough protein.

Some things I go for that are QUICK are:

Hard Boild Egg

tuna

Cottage cheese...with a little salt cuz I really don't like it

Handful of nuts

Peanut Butter...I'm Ok with eating it right off the spoon so I keep it in my desk at work "just in case" lol

String Cheese...they have a long shelf life

chicken salad with leftover chicken...add a little cut up apple dried cranberries and walnuts.super yummy

lunch meat and cheese roll ups - i sometimes dip them in mayo

Hope this helps

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! Especially davidsmom08 (I will be using those! :) and Cherishthepast for the recipe (that sounds delicious!). I will definately check with my doc re: calories! :)

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Like a previous post, I am trying to drink a Protein Shake every morning for Breakfast. I buy the EAS chocolate Fudge shakes and put them in the freezer for an hour and it tastes really good and has 21 grams of Protein. Since I don't typically eat breakfast, it does give me a good start. Also, I like to snack on bacon strips after breakfast and lunch.< /p>

Another thing I enjoy is the oscar mayer deli selects oven roasted turkey breast. A serving is 6 slices and has only 45 calories and I think the Protein was 8 or 9 grams. So, if you add that with your meal twice a day, it's almost 20 grams of Protein and still less than 100 calories total. Sometimes I just have one or two slices when I have a between meal cravingg and want to deter myself from any snacking.

(i haven't had a fill yet, so the between meals urges are still hitting me in bandster hell)

I've just joined a calorie counting website and have logged in my calories for today, I've only eaten 360 calories today when I need 2000!! I have also realised that I'm not eating nearly enough Protein (which would probably explain why I feel like I'm still always hungry)...

I need some ideas on quick, easy "snacks" that I can have that have plenty of Protein in them....what are you all having to keep you going and get your calories uP?? Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, I put in my weight and height and it said 2000 calories. I didn't think it was unusual, I have heard a lot of people on here say that are required to have that amount.

Wowzer! That's a lot of calories when you are trying to lose weight.

Remember, the 1-2 pounds a week is an average througout your entire weight loss journey. In the beginning you'll probably lose a lot faster than that, maybe 5 pounds a week. Then closer to goal maybe you'll only lose 1 pound every 3 weeks. So the 1-2 pounds is an AVERAGE throughout your weight loss journey. The higher your BMI the faster you will likely lose in the beginning.

Don't depend on websites to tell you how many calories to consume, depend on your doctor.