Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a "stuck" episode

So I am fairly new to this process- banded 2 months but have a band that doesn't have much in it- 2.8 cc (10 cc band). So my dr is very gradually filling me. I had a fill on Monday and am now having a new experience- if I swallow too big of a bite (because I am hungry, because it tastes really good, or because I am not paying attention) I get a 10 second pain in my upper chest and it passes. Is this considered being "stuck" or does a stuck episode last longer- I have always heard it as being described as 15 min. of pain. Is this a good sign that I am moving closer to restriction or just a sign that I am not chewing and eating slow enough. Part of me is hoping for an agressive fill in two weeks but I am wondering if I should be extra conservative because of this new experience.

I would say that it is the start of restriction. It could be due to swelling from the fill and not the fill level you are at. If it is the start of restriction if you do not chew well it could feel like that.

Also it could be first bite syndrome. Some people, me included, have trouble with the first bite. It hurts and sometimes feels like it wants to come back up.

For me if I get that feeling that you describe and it lasts for more than a minute i cant eat any more or i will be stuck or already am stuck. To me it sounds more like first bite syndrome. If it does not go away then you are stuck. But yes that is the feeling of being stuck. At least that is my opinion.

I call it ""PAY ATTENTION STUIPD"!! I get this when I don't chew a enough, or swallow without thought. It has happened with a hard boiled egg! Wasn't paying attention because it was just an egg. Took to much at once and it was on. This was my first experience at about 2 weeks out. It was nothing like getting stuck although I didn't think anythin couyld be worse. It is like a burp that won't come up for me. Hurts for a few minuets and then passes. Getting stuck is real pain that goes on until you get the food/slime up. I sweat, can't breath and it is very painful. I can eat something for lunch without problem and the same food will get stuck at dinner, The other night I ate to much by one forkfull, that was new. I must cough until I can spit up the problem.

First Bite Syndrome? I have never heard of that...BUT...it sounds exactly what I have been feeling for the past 3 days (had my 2nd fill 7 days ago...did 4 days full liquids/mushies). I take a drink, or a bite and get a pain in my throat...even before the food has actually 'hit' it...then it passes and I am able to eat.

Is there a place where I could get more information about this? I have lots of lapband related books and never heard of it.

THANKS!! I have been searching the site for HOURS and this is the first post that has given me any idea that that is what it is.

itschoice is bang on in my books. i haven't heard the term "first bite syndrome" but it is real and i have it often. IF that feeling of pain and pressure in your chest, fealt like it went trough all the way to your back, could neither get it up nor all the way down...and it went on for 10-15 painful minutes (with a slime in there too) that would have definately qualified it as a stuck.

just learn from it.. we all are. this is all new. good luck!!