Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions and scared

I have been banded since 1/09 and have been losing at a good pace (to date 88 pounds) I have had 1 fill, 2 unfills and as of today have a band with nothing in in. The problem is that things keep getting stuck?? (we think) I am currently unable to eat or drink anything for 3 days now. I gave up on food but when I drink it is painful and feels like it just stops somewhere on the way down and sits there. Within 20 minutes it has to comeback up and when it does it is frothy. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he unfilled me and has ordered an UGI to see what is happening with me. His thoughts...band slipped (migrated), eroded or a hernia...I am not sure which one it is, but all I know is I am hungry and soooooooooo thirsty I cannot stand it. I go for my UGI today and he said that if I am still unable to eat or drink tomorrow am to call him. I just want to be "normal " again. I want to eat and drink and not be in pain and scared all the time. Anyone have any thoughts that can help me now???

bump...

I havent been banded yet, so unfortunately I cant answer...

but i pray that everything is ok!

Can someone help her?!

hi all so here is the deal... PLEASE DO NOT LET MY EXPERIENCE SCARE YOU OFF FROM THE BAND!!!

I was not able to eat or drink anything for SEVERAL days and I had a Barium swallow done to find that nothinf was going past my stomach. My surgeon admitted me to the hospital so I did not get any further dehydrated. They did an EGD test the day after admission and found that my stomach had twisted...so it was surgery time. I was given 3 options...leave the band, repair the damage and go forward with no guarantee that it would not happen again. Remove the band, repair the damage. Or convert to a gastric bypass. I was totally opposed to a gastric bypass because I did not like the idea of messing with my organs in a perminate way.. So the decision was to let my surgeon (whom I trust) decide when he was in there. And the verdict was...after finding that my stomach was twisted because I had formed scar tissue and my body was fighting the band which cause my stomach to literally twist and I had a herrnia, he opted to remove the band.

So here I am bandless..halfway to my goal, but bandless...I am gonna do this on my own ....

That's horrible what has happened to you. Keep us posted as to how your doing. Band or no band.

Edited by skeeterbait8

I am so sorry for you that you have lost the band but so happy that you are healthy and on the mend. Three times I started a response when you originally posted but never sent them because all I could think of was that something was terribly wrong and you needed to get to the doctor's. Duh, you had that figured out. Prayers to you.

Thanks all!!! I am mending, I WILL lose this darn weight, the band got me more than halfway to my gosl in 5 months so I am VERY thankful for that. The rest is on me and I WILL do it, just more slowly than if I had a band. I will keep posting!!

You have done fantastic! Your band was just a tool. You had to be pretty disciplined to lose that much weight -- even with the band! You CAN do it!!!!

Congratulations on your success and I wish you much more... The band is just a tool and you worked it... you lost so...much weight in so...little time that it is truly amazing. That success is attributed to you and your dedication.

Keep up the good work!