Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded almost three years ago and did great the two years, and was well on my way to losing the last 20 pounds I wanted to lose.

I had a bad episode of something getting stuck one evening and afterwards began having problems with waking up and choking each night. Doc said the band was too tight and caused the choking. He removed all Fluid from the band and I had to go six weeks without a fill and immediately gained 15 lbs back.

I went back and he refilled but only about half of what the original fill was, went back a second time due to still gaining and he gave me a tiny bit more. I finally got frustrated and went to another place for my fill, and at that time was told my stomach pouch has stretched and they took more of my fill OUT! Now I don't feel like I have any restriction at all, I can eat anything without difficulty and I'm gaining weight again!!!!

This is so depressing. What do I do now to get the stomach pouch to shrink again, and get back on track with this thing? I can't even imagine going back to where I was before.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, I could sure use some friendly advice and support.

did you ask the place that TOLD you it was stretched? can you go back to your doc and get a barium swallow (or whatever will show the size of the pouch)

I've heard you can mostly shrink it back but would think you need medical guidance to do it and know it happens, if you get my drift.

If your pouch was stretched, why would they take more out? I don't get that part. How could they tell that you'd gotten stretched? I think your first doc should advise.

If the pouch is stretched, usually the band is unfilled so that it is almost as if you don't have it...the hope is that over time (and no overeating) it will resume it's normal "smaller" shape without requiring the band to be removed altogether. This is more successful the earlier it's caught (the shorter time the pouch has been stretched out)

Thanks. It just sounds so strange. I understand what you're saying, but I can't imagine that working, I guess. How would they know she'd stretched her pouch unless they'd done some imagining, though?

This is an educated guess, ok? I know the stomach is VERY elastic. VERY stretchy. So if one has restriction (and no leak) and the doctor KNOWS a person has restriction, and the doctor KNOWS how large the pouch was that he created when he placed the band, then if a person can eat more than he/she should, odds are the stretchy stomach has done just that...stretched. If you think of how small it is (like on the model in the doc's office) and then think you can eat 1 cup of food...it has to stretch a little (does that w/bypass patients, too!)

Other things could cause a person to be able to overeat but they are more rare. For example if you overeat and fill your pouch and have food still sitting in the esophagus, most of us have spasms and "burp" the food back up. The esophagus usually doesn't want food sitting there; it's built to move it along.

So it's kind of like following the clues...no leak, good restriction, but able to eat too much of non-slider foods leaves what? Pouch is now too big. It's not solid of course, not "eye witness" but all indicators would point to that.

Yes, of course. That totally makes sense, but I thought Katylady just went to a new clinic for a fill. They'd not really have known any of that, right? Katy, did you have these symptoms or was there some other reasons they stated? I am just trying to learn as much as I can about the different experiences people have with the band. Restless, I do appreciate your perspective on this matter, too. This kind of dialogue is very informative of the different situations that can occur with the band! :bored:

Just let me reiterate that I don't KNOW...I'm just puzzling it out and applying what I've learned from here, from my doc, from my reading. And yes I would never go to a doc one time and trust his/her judgment that way. I'd want tests etc too, as you would. I know that what is described CAN happen, but I'd want proof it happened to me. I was only trying to answer general questions about pouch stretching etc, not defending the new doc's position or anything like that. I don't have enough info to even BEGIN to do that! :bored:

So yes you are right...there's never anything wrong with a 2nd opinion! :thumbup:

This is an educated guess, ok? I know the stomach is VERY elastic. VERY stretchy. So if one has restriction (and no leak) and the doctor KNOWS a person has restriction, and the doctor KNOWS how large the pouch was that he created when he placed the band, then if a person can eat more than he/she should, odds are the stretchy stomach has done just that...stretched. If you think of how small it is (like on the model in the doc's office) and then think you can eat 1 cup of food...it has to stretch a little (does that w/bypass patients, too!)

Other things could cause a person to be able to overeat but they are more rare. For example if you overeat and fill your pouch and have food still sitting in the esophagus, most of us have spasms and "burp" the food back up. The esophagus usually doesn't want food sitting there; it's built to move it along.

So it's kind of like following the clues...no leak, good restriction, but able to eat too much of non-slider foods leaves what? Pouch is now too big. It's not solid of course, not "eye witness" but all indicators would point to that.

Wow restless!! that was a perfect breakdown.....u made sound totally sensible.. i just got banded last friday and i am hungry already....i know its b/c i dont have any fluids, but what i would like to know is should i start eating as if i have restriction even w/o the Fluid? b/c without Fluid i didnt really think i had a pouch...i thought the pouch was created once the band became tightened for a pouch to actually form...my recovery has been pretty good and seems like my stomach didnt even get tampered with....its seems like the only thing effected by the surgery was the incisions and port site which is of course tender.....but i cant even feel the band and when i inhale i dont have any pain....i saw a pic of the band inside of me and it doesnt even look right...likes its not even really on my stomach...it looks as if its on a pole of yellow fat...!

ahb08...I am a strong proponent of everyone following his or her doc's post op diet pretty rigidly. I believe in question authority but eating ahead of time post op can be a major cause of slips and other issues. You're hungry just as you thought...you have a loose band around your stomach and that may provide a little restriction but not enough, in most of us, to count for much. You sound like you are recovering well and quickly (Good for you!) and so are hungry. Just hang in there with your post op diet. When you get solids you'll find that you really can't eat as much as pre-band (because there is a LITTLE restriction) but stretching the pouch isn't that large a concern because most food goes on through the stoma to the lower part of the stomach. However as you are restricted it becomes more important to watch your portions and LISTEN to your body. No more scarfing while watching tv (one of my old favorites LOL) because you may overeat and cause a PB or, over time, stretch your pouch. Drinking while you're eating, once restricted, can also cause the pouch to stretch (or so I've heard on here). So you being hungry is, oddly enough, a good sign. I can't feel my band either, and I'm doing really well now that I'm at the sweeet spot. So hang in there; give yourself a chance to get used to your new band, let your body heal, follow the post op diet, and you'll be another happy healthy bandster! :bored:

ahb08...I am a strong proponent of everyone following his or her doc's post op diet pretty rigidly. I believe in question authority but eating ahead of time post op can be a major cause of slips and other issues. You're hungry just as you thought...you have a loose band around your stomach and that may provide a little restriction but not enough, in most of us, to count for much. You sound like you are recovering well and quickly (Good for you!) and so are hungry. Just hang in there with your post op diet. When you get solids you'll find that you really can't eat as much as pre-band (because there is a LITTLE restriction) but stretching the pouch isn't that large a concern because most food goes on through the stoma to the lower part of the stomach. However as you are restricted it becomes more important to watch your portions and LISTEN to your body. No more scarfing while watching tv (one of my old favorites LOL) because you may overeat and cause a PB or, over time, stretch your pouch. Drinking while you're eating, once restricted, can also cause the pouch to stretch (or so I've heard on here). So you being hungry is, oddly enough, a good sign. I can't feel my band either, and I'm doing really well now that I'm at the sweeet spot. So hang in there; give yourself a chance to get used to your new band, let your body heal, follow the post op diet, and you'll be another happy healthy bandster! :thumbup:

Thanks again for the words of wisdom!! :bored:

ahb08

when did 175 lbs become a size 12?

The last time I was at my ideal weight (centuries ago) I just managed at size 12 at 130 lbs. I wore a size 14 at weight 150 lbs.

Have women's sizes changed their numbers but not their inches?

ahb08

when did 175 lbs become a size 12?

The last time I was at my ideal weight (centuries ago) I just managed at size 12 at 130 lbs. I wore a size 14 at weight 150 lbs.

Have women's sizes changed their numbers but not their inches?

everyone's body is different. I know for me- I weigh 300 but wear a size 20. Some women are in a size 20 and only weigh 220 pounds. I know that for me a size 12 will be at a higher weight- I will never be 120 pounds, even though I'm 5'2- the doctor even confirmed this. with my body structure I would look like skeleton at that weight. So my goal weight is around 175 too.

I wore a 12 at about 175 lbs. I am about 5'4" and have a lot of muscle mass, sort of a short, solid frame. I don't know if that helps answer your question or not. I think it just depends on your configuration.