Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any veg*n's ou there?

If you're wondering what veg*n stands for, it incorporates both Vegetarians and Vegans.

I am a vegetarian. I did it for my own reasons. I am NOT going to lecture anyone for eating meat. Your diet preferences are your own for your reasons, as are mine. Tough I don't mind discussing the reason why I chose to become a vegetarian, when people ask.

The pre-op nutritionist did not think I'd be able to meet my Protein requirements w/out incorporating meat back into my diet. I have my post-op apt w/the nutritionists 6/25 and I am waiting for the "you must eat meat" lecture. So far, with Protein shakes and looking at labels, I've been doing good. But, today is only 15 day post-op. The nutritionist for my surgeon said they'd only had one other vegetarian come through their doors and and this person became very weak became very weak and unhealthy.

So, I'm just curious, if there are veg*ns, how do you keep your protein levels up? And post-op surgery recipe suggestions?

Thanks

I've been a vegetarian in the past, and now I eat a primarily vegetarian diet, but I do eat fish occasionally. I'm not seeing why being a vegetarian would be a problem; if it's too hard to get enough Protein from the small amounts of vegetarian food you can eat with good restriction, you can always supplement with a Protein shake. Is it possible that your nutritionist isn't very educated about vegetarian diets? Just like meat-eaters, some veg*ns have a healthy diet and others don't.

Just thinking this out...

1/2 c tofu scrambler for breakfast: 9 g Protein

1/2 c black Beans w/1 tbsp LF sour cream: 8.5 g protein

8 oz skim milk: 8 g protein

1/2 c quinoa: 12 g protein

OK, so that's 37.5 grams of protein and about 680 calories.

Add a Protein Shake and get up to about 57 grams, 840 calories.

The protein goal I got from my dietitian was 50 g/day, so I could easily meet that goal with the off-the-top-of-my-head diet I laid out here, right?

Not a veg'n, but NOT a believer in mega Protein at all. We need some but in no way do I believe we need what many doctors are saying - 50 or 60 grams a day is AMPLE for most women.

I eat a lot of Beans, lentils, chick peas because I like them and they're so very very healthy for you. I dont eat a lot of meat. But there's Protein in EVERYTHING, even a potato has a couple of grams of protein. I dont think you really need to do anything special to get enough and if your diet is focussed more on pulses, Beans, vegetables, then I personally think you'd have one of the healthiest diets on this entire board.

I wouldnt worry and I wouldnt really expect a nutritionist to be all that knowledgeable either. Anyone can hang up a shingle and call themselves a nutritionist and we've had one particular one on this board who was spreading WRONG information around - like basically physioligically indisputably WRONG. I think you can make your own sensible decisions about your diet.

Could be she is uneducated. When I mentioned I was a vegetarian, I got the deer in the head lights look.

I've been doing at least one Protein shake a day, today I did two. I use soy milk, frozen fruit instead of ice, for added nutrition, and the soy Protein powder which has 25 grams of Protein per scoop. Between the milk and the powder, that puts me at 31 grams, just for Breakfast.

I do eat eggs and dairy yogurt. My surgeon wants us to have a goal for 75 grams of protein for the first few months. Then, keep it between 60 and 75 grams a day.

I'm just worried about getting into a habit of eating the same things all the time and getting bored. When I'm hungry and bored, that's when grazing and trouble happens, LOL!

I ordered to lap-band cookbooks and am sure that I can modify many recipes. I live in a small town where it's a 50 + mile drive to the nearest whole foods. So, I don't really have access to stuff like tempeh and a broad selection of veg*n items. I did buy some quinoa and am looking forward to trying it next week: 3 weeks post op.

Thanks for the responses, the nutritionists seems to think that animal protein is the ONLY protein out there. My hubs, who is not a veg*n, always has some sort of animal protein around here. So, I guess I can always just appease the nutritionist and tell her that I do have animal protein in the house ... lol. I meet w/her thursday morning to discuss portion sizes, what I am eating and what I should be eating. My surgeon requires this as part of his post-op plan.

I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I had a similiar problem.

I eat fish, I'm not a huge fan of chicken, but I never eat red meat of any kind and I was told by my primary doc & the dietician to start. Just my personal preference not to.

I stick to eggs, Peanut Butter, LF cheese, Protein waters, 1% milk [is that protein? *shrugs*] :thumbup:

It's a little bit labor intensive, but if you're interested and have time, you can make seitan at home. People sometimes call it "wheat meat" because it has a meaty-like texture and can be seasoned to taste like chicken or beef. If you haven't had it, don't let the appearance throw you; seitan can be really tasty, and it has about 8 grams of Protein per ounce. There are lots of recipes online; we've made the one from Vegan With a Vengeance, and it turned out good.

Im also a vegetarian (although I do eat fish sometimes). Basically I have a lap band cookbook and I have a bunch of recipes that I like. For the ones that call for meats, I just substitute tofu (and there are so many different kinds of tofu...you can vary it a little). Im only about a week postop so Im not eating eggs or firm tofu but I plan to just cook all the different recipes incorporating a meat substitute. Plus 1-2 Protein Shakes a day. Should be fine, and varying the recipes will keep it interesting!

It's a little bit labor intensive, but if you're interested and have time, you can make seitan at home. People sometimes call it "wheat meat" because it has a meaty-like texture and can be seasoned to taste like chicken or beef. If you haven't had it, don't let the appearance throw you; seitan can be really tasty, and it has about 8 grams of Protein per ounce. There are lots of recipes online; we've made the one from Vegan With a Vengeance, and it turned out good.

Yes, I've tried it. I ordered it from an online veg*n store. It was like a stuffed roast. My omnivore hubs loved it! So, I know it's good. I haven't tried making it myself, though. I'll have give it a try before the summer break ends.

Just a note about nutritionists and registered dieticians.

Jahut was right-o. A nutritionist need not be a RD, anyone can call themself a nutritionist. An RD is licensed and certified. If you want to be a pain the woman's behind, ask her about her professional experience and make her squirm.

Just nod when they tell you'll die with out meat and go about your merry way. You'll be fine. I also agree that mega pounding Protein is silly.

I am not a vegan, but thought I'd plug this site for my daughter's sister (her dad's oldest daughter). DD's dad and sister are both vegan and he used to make the most delicious things!

Home

Her name is Ebony and she's a sweetheart! She's worked really hard for this, so and I'm so proud of her!

I also use the cookbook: Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery. I like it because in the notes to the side of the recipe it specifies how each food is adaptable for all 3 WLS (as far as portion, etc.), and it also specifies how you can adapt the recipe to each stage of eating after surgery.

Hi,

I became a vegetarian last September (the month I had surgery.) I am now a vegan. I have never had problems getting Protein in (50-80 GRAMS A DAY.) I typically have a shake for Breakfast w/ soymilk, a large salad full of veggies w/ chickpeas for lunch, and my dinners switch up:

1. kale, sweet potato, & white bean coconut Soup

2. whole wheat Pasta w/ Beans & veggies

3. brown rice/quinoa with refried Beans & roasted veggies (or skewer veggies

4. veggie burger meatloaf w/ roasted potato/carrots, celery & onions

5. Veggie Quesadilla

6. Falafel

7. veggie frozen dinner (like Amy's)

8. squash, zucchini, onions sauted with add in rice & kidney beans

9. veggie chili

10. boca chicken patty with corn on the cob

11. Saag Tofu (Indian saag panner dish made with tofu)

I have great vegan cookbooks. My favorites are "La Dolce Vegan" by Sarah Kramer and "The 30 minute Vegan" by Mark Reinfeld & Jennifer Murray.

Amanda

At my post-op, I had to meet w/the nutritionists. She asked about how I planned on getting my Protein as a vegetarian. I went through my plans. Then I brought up hummus and chick peas. OMG, she almost birthed a cow on the spot. The way she made it sound, chick peas were loaded w/worthless calories and the devil's fruit. LOL

I still eat hummus and chick peas.

My mom is Vegan. She told me about the Amy's products. A Walmart about 40 miles away carry some of the Soups and three varieties of frozen dinners. I bought an Indian one and had it yesterday. It was very good.

I bought some quinoa before my surgery. I still have yet to try it. I'll probably try making it this weekend.

Thanks for recommending the cookbooks. I'll look into them!