Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2month post op and not losing

Hi All

I am needing a little help here I am not losing weight only inches. I am two months post op and I have lost over 10" total and 14-15lbs. I am making sure I stick between 1200-1500 calories granted some weekend I have had some alcoholic beverages. I am exercising at least 4days/wk cardio for one hour and some weight training. This week I have started a food journal but I need some encouragement? how did you get past plateaus?. Also I have 4cc in my band got a second fill last week

Thank you

Edited by lapbandgirl2009

Don't be discouraged-you're doing great! Some people even gain weight during the post-op period. I also lost inches first, but was happy to take whatever nonscale victories I could get. The scale may move slowly at first or not at all for weeks at a time, but stick with it. It's not always easy, but I am 6 months post-op and believe this is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Good luck!

Tampa Terri is correct.

A couple things you need to be aware of, you are "resculpting" your body as you eat less and exercise.

Also, muscle tissue weighs more than adipose (fat tissue) does. So while you may be losing inches, you may be gaining muscle tissue, which is actually great!

That means your body will actually begin burning more calories at rest, not just during exercise, since the body expends more energy supporting muscle tissue than fat tissue!

So it appears that you are having a very fit weight loss.

Good job! :blushing:

Sounds like you are doing great with exercise - way to go! My only question would be the amount of calories - I know every single Dr. is different, but mine told me after I was filled that my diet would consist of only around 500 calories per day.

Good Luck!

Sounds like you are doing great with exercise - way to go! My only question would be the amount of calories - I know every single Dr. is different, but mine told me after I was filled that my diet would consist of only around 500 calories per day.

Good Luck!

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. As to the comment made about 500 calories that is absurd 500 calories is not enough at all for anyone maybe during your liquids stage but once you are on solids at least 800/calories. I would be cranky:mad:..lol. But I burn 800-900 calories doing elliptical for an hour and that is not including any weight training so I could not survive on that amount. If you consume to less of calories you sometime will not lose weight either cause your body is in starvation mode and it hanging on to any calories you eat. So I better stick to at least 1000cal. I am going to up my exercise to hopefully 5-6 days but right now my schedule only allows for 4-5 at the most. Thank again

Take care

mine too calories are low with a 6.5 in my band.. im eating between 700-900 if i have wine

Hi Debbie,

Assuming you are but you never know are you exercising and how much? My Doc told me not to go below 1000 if I was just controlling my weight loss through diet but If I exercised to stick with at the least 1000-1200. Great job on your weight loss? Can you give my an example of your daily diet? Thank you

Lapbandgirl -

I'm glad you posted this. I'm 3 months out from surgery. Lost great after my first fill of 3 cc, then had a small fill of only 0.5 cc (at my request - we had a son getting married and I didn't want any issues the wedding weekend). Since that fill I maintained 1 week, lost 1 pound the next, and was up 1-1/2 pounds this week. I know I couldn't physically have gained that much this week as that would mean an extra 5000+ calories and I've been sticking to 1200 a day on average. I've been sluggish and bloated and think I am retaining Fluid.

I'm scheduled for another fill next week as I am getting hungry about 3 hours after eating. Will ask for the other 1.5 cc my doc would have given me last time. In the meantime, I'm sticking with the process, making sure I get my Water in (I was short a couple of days), trying to make good food choices, and trying to continue to be active. I don't do the amount of exercise you do, but I'm moving more than I ever have before.

Just needed some reassurance about the lack of progress on the scale and was thrilled to find this thread. I definitely need more restriction than I have right now!!

LBG -

14-15 pounds in 2 months is great!!! That is an average of about 2 pounds a week - just where you should be!!! I know what you mean about inches going and I know you want to see the scale continue to go down too. At times I feel my clothes are more loose, but it's not showing on the scale, but I'll take that too!!! Just know that eventually the scale will start to move again. I think we have put our bodies through so much that sometimes they just need to catch up with what we are doing.

With your exercise are you eating enough calories? You want to have a deficit, but if you are exercising a lot you need to replace some of those calories you burned to fuel your body. I log my food and activity on dailyplate.com.

I've lost 63 since my HIGHEST weight ever and 42 pounds since starting the LB process. I try to indicate that in my numbers, but I think it gets overlooked sometimes. Still, I'm thrlled with the 42 pounds. Some of that was on the preop diet of course.

Here's what a typical day is like for me:

Breakfast: 4 ounces of Protein if I have a "meat"

or smoothie

today omelette

Lunch: 4 ounces of Protein

fuit, veggie, or a dairy

Dinner: Same as lunch

I have 4 ounces of protein for lunch and dinner and will have 1 fruit a day (usually half of a banana for my potassium) 1 veggie a day (1/2 c or so), and a low fat yogurt if I don't get my dairy in elsewhere.

I occasionally eat a carb or sweet, but try not to have too much. That has a been a struggle the last few weeks when I've needed a fill. It's much easier to resist those foods when you aren't truly hungry.

That's pretty much what I do. I wish I could say I love to exercise, but I don't. I find myself doing things like yardwork, etc., for most of my exercise. Have tried to get better by going hiking, bike riding, and we do love going on walks, so baby steps I guess. At least I'm moving again insead of a couch potato.

Hope this helps! It sounds as if you are doing great - keep up the good work and have faith in the process!!

Edited by bambam

Lapbandgirl2009 - congratulations on your weight loss! You're doing great! It may seem slow but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. You may be a slow-loser or your body is re-adjusting to all the changes you've made recently.

I agree with you on the number of calories to consume in a day. My doc's office recommends 1100-1300 calories per day and be consistent (not 2000 calories 1 day and 500 the next). Your body being in starvation mode can wreak havoc with your system and is something that isn't sustainable in the long run. I can't imagine living the rest of my life that way.

I can't say I count my calories because I feel I've done that enough in my life, either calories or carbs, and I think if I pay the most attention to getting my Protein in and the scale is moving, that's enough for me.

Being only a couple of months out from surgery, you still may not be properly adjusted, although it sounds like your loss is due to your "willpower" at this point.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the numbers right now. What you are doing is commendable and you will succeed. Make sure you are drinking enough liquids to keep your system up to speed and best of luck to you! :thumbup:

I am so ready for my first fill. I got banded 6/8 came back to see him one week later at that time no appetite. But now hungry and haven't lost as much. I am walking a ton! Writing down what I eat and how much. My doc not concerned with calories but I am he wants to know how much portion. I got start measuring my self, but the tummy still fills some what swollen still. I go for my first fill on 7/7. I am just trying to do low cal easy to digest foods with high Protein. I have kept my calories for most part 1200-1500 a day. I so want see the scale move again like it did. I haven't had a hard time with eating anything soft so far. I am ready though to see the numbers drop!!!!!!!!!!:(

I agree that the 500 calories is too low. But it's also hard to get more when all you are eating is 1/2 c. 3 x's per day plus 3 glasses of skim milk. I have protien and fresh veggies, protien and fresh fruit and protien and a carb for the three meals.

I'm going to go over this again with the dietician.

Thanks for the info. :-)

I keep reading about lots of folks not losing much after a month or so, and I start to worry. I got my band exactly 4 weeks ago, I had to have all the Fluid removed from it two days after, because of swelling. I have lost 43lbs in these first four weeks. I have no trouble eating anything, and I eat about 4 or five times a day, mabe every 3-5 hours, with a protien shake as well. Is my weight loss going to stop all of a sudden when time goes by? It has been pretty easy so far. Maybe it has to do with me being male, or tall (6'5"), at any rate I dont want it to stop.

Thanks Emjay and Bam Bam for your kind words and motivation. I am definitely going to stick with this and give it 100% I did not get WLS surgery to give up. This is an ongoing journey and I know that not all times will be easy and this is just one of those times.

I am trying to focus on eating the right thing and as far and fruit and veggies. Should I only have one piece of fruit and one veggie? I am having 2 fruits at least and 2 veggies if even more sometimes. So maybe that is a factor? I know I am not at my "sweet spot" but my doc said I could go again in 2weeks if needed. My last fill was a week ago and it feels like it just kicked in. Do any of you get headaches from not eating enough calories. I know that when I workout sometimes I will get headaches so if I eat a little more then it goes away. Again thank you all for your input and Jennifer 75 talk with your dietician but I know it is a struggle.. so hang in there

Take Care