Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I just got my gi results back and it shows a very small sliding hiatal hernia. I am self pay and was wondering how this is gouing to effect the cost. I do have insurance it just wont pay for weightloss surgery so will they pay for the repair if they fix it during the weight loss surgery or will I have to pay for the hernia getting fixed? has anyone else delt with this situation?

You're safest to call your insurance and ask. For one thing, your bariatric surgeon may not be one in your insurance network. They MAY require you to get it repaired by another surgeon before your band surgery. Call them now! Good luck.

In addition I would recommend you call your surgeon.

My upper GI showed a small hiatal hernia as well and my surgeon told me that he fixes those as a matter of course during the lap band procedure. He calls it a "two-fer," meaning I get two surgeries for the price of one!

I'm self-pay, too, by the way.

In addition I would recommend you call your surgeon.

My upper GI showed a small hiatal hernia as well and my surgeon told me that he fixes those as a matter of course during the lap band procedure. He calls it a "two-fer," meaning I get two surgeries for the price of one!

I'm self-pay, too, by the way.

Ditto to what TopTier wrote. Fixed during surgery, self-pay, no charge. My surgeon indicated that he often finds these undiagnosed until he goes in and he pretty much expects to "find and fix" while doing the surgery.

My upper GI also showed a small hiatal hernia, my surgeon said he will fix it when he places the band.

This hernia thing must be major common, cause same here, found on endoscopy.

These must be very common! They found mine during the endoscopy too. Surgeon says not to worry, it gets repaired at the same time as the band.

Hey Marmar, I'm also a self pay and had my sugery today. He said he found and repaired my own hiatis hernia. No additional charges were incurred. Maybe ask you surgeon if that is the same for you.

ANd good luck.

Sheri:thumbup:

Hello, I am also a self pay and also have a hitial hernia. In my paperwork it states that if the surgeon finds the condition, it will automatically repaired without a fee but there will ONLY be a fee for the anesthesiologist for the extra time.