Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions and concerns..

Questions for everyone out there! I have a million and appreciate all the information you have. Well first off I am wondering if everyones doctor gave them an option of lap band versus the gastric bypass? My doctor told me that I am a canidate for either one. I am 5'1 and weight 225lbs. Honestly, I never really considedered gastic bypass, but when he mentioned it as an option it made me rethink things a little bit. I think the lap band may be a better choice for me because I do want more children; I have one daughter and I am 26. I feel as if the lap band is less intrusive and obviousy less dangerous, faster recovery etc.

I am also curious at how long the process will take. I have heard it varies, but I am wondering how many tests I will take etc. I got all my blood work done yesterday and then he said I will come in in two weeks and as long as the tests are okay we will book the surgery, but it seems to easy?!?

Thanks everyone!

Hi KTK. Yes, it seems every bariatric surgeon offers both RNY gastric bypass and Lapband. Some people seem to indicate they get more pressure to go with the RNY because the surgeon has done more of them but if you have an experienced lapband surgeon, I would strongly consider it. I don't regret my decision.

Good luck in your investigation.

Hi KTK! Best of luck with whichever surgery you select. It sounds like you are committed to making a change. I have a friend, Lise, who also chose the lapband surgery and has great success with it. She keeps a blog called lisetheloser.com, where she talks about her lapband stories. You might want to check it out and find out more about life with a lapband. Best wishes!

Hi KTK. My husband and I have had the lap band for 2 years now. We have a friend that had the Gastric Bypass a year and a half ago. She lost her first 100 lbs faster than us, however she has had many complications. We have had absolutely no complications and over time, we have lost more weight.

Both surgeries are very effective however there are people that have not been successful with either one. The Lap Band and the Gastic bypass are only tools. You get out them what you put in to it. I chose the Lap band because I felt re arranging my insides was a bit much. The Lap Band is adjustable and reversable and it has worked great for both of us.

Feel free to contact me if you think of any questions. I love giving the advise that helped my husband and I. We are both half the size we use to be =-). Good Luck. Once you start see the results, it become an easy life style to adapt to.

My surgeon presented several weight loss surgeries. His patients pick; I guess if he feels we aren't suited to a certain type he'd suggest a different one, but he didn't bat an eye when I asked for the band.

I LOVE it. Now that I am restricted (Please note that...reread it...NOW THAT I AM RESTRICTED) I am losing well. Before 5/7 of this year though, even my unfailing optimism had almost begun to flag a little. Getting to the proper restriction may be a long process. For me it took 8 1/2 months.

ANYWAY actual approval for me with tricare PRIME was 2 days. I went to a seminar 7/25 and had my 1st banding attempt (I messed that one up) on 8/11. Successfully banded 8/29.