Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Symptons of Band slippage and / or erosion

Hello Everyone,

Can someone please tell me the symptons of band slippage or erosion? And the causes? I'm having weird sensations in my stomach / port area. Not really pain more like a burning sensation. Some told me it was probably reflux but it doesn't feel like heartburn and I thought reflux was like heartburn...

Should I be worried? Your sharing is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

"There are two types of slippage; anterior and posterior. This refers to whether the front or back side of the stomach slips. There is something else called concentric pouch dilation, but this is not the same as slippage. Slippage or prolapse is when the stomach slides up through the Band, making the pouch bigger. If this happens the Band usually becomes too tight, and patients experience symptoms of reflux (heartburn) as well as nausea and vomiting. This is because the amount of stomach being “squeezed” by the Band is increased, thereby obstructing the Band.

There are several causes. Posterior slippage was more common when the Band was placed by the “perigastric” technique. With this technique the back side of the stomach was free to slide up through the Band. These days most surgeons use the “pars flaccida” technique, which was developed to prevent posterior slippage, and has more or less eliminated the incidence of this problem.

Anterior slippage is when the front of the stomach slips up through the Band. We try to prevent this by suturing the stomach below the Band to the stomach above the Band, “locking” the Band in place in the right spot. In spite of this, slippage still occurs. It can happen because we haven't placed enough stitches, or they haven't been placed in the right place. Slippage can also occur if patients eat too much and vomit frequently. "

This is what my packet said. Hope it helped. Sending healthy vibes your way!

Thanks for the reply! I'm wondering what slippage or erosion may feel like. I know the only real way to find out is to go to the DR and perhaps that's the best recommendation.

Thanks again!

My symptoms started as burning around my belly button area when eating or drinking. After that stopped in about a day, I felt a tightness up high in my chest like I could not take a deep breath. I had emergency removal on Tuesday for a slipped band and a hiatal hernia. See a Dr. if you think something might be wrong.

Kathy I am so sorry for what your going through. How are you feeling? Are you intending on getting rebanded? Hope all is well.Take care of yourself!

Actually Im doing great!! Removal surgery is much easier than the actual placement. I think I will take 6 months to do a lot of research and see what I think will be best for my body. When I originally decided on the band, I never read that so many people would have slips...now it seems so common. I heard that the chances of having another slip goes up once you have had one and the thought of going through what I did for the past 2 weeks does not sound all that great right about now. The good thing is I only need about 30lbs to reach goal and Im still losing weight. When I originally had the band placed I lost 20lbs in 2 weeks post surgery and Im doing basically the same diet. The problem will just be keeping it off. Actually I wont even give it some thought until I start on a regular diet.

Kathy

Kathyy68

hi i am bobo6431 from rgv, tx. I was dignosed with an eroded band on friday. I am going to go see my dr today i think i am going to have it removed. But i am concerned about the recovery time after surgey. This is really a bad time for me to be having this going on. I have a lot going on this comeing 4 weeks. I did my lap band 4 months ago i have lost a total of 73lbs to date. I am really worried about gaining the weight back after i have it removed. I am also worried about the surgey because i had a bad time with the anestsia. How long is the recovery time?

Kathyy68

hi i am bobo6431 from rgv, tx. I was dignosed with an eroded band on friday. I am going to go see my dr today i think i am going to have it removed. But i am concerned about the recovery time after surgey. This is really a bad time for me to be having this going on. I have a lot going on this comeing 4 weeks. I did my lap band 4 months ago i have lost a total of 73lbs to date. I am really worried about gaining the weight back after i have it removed. I am also worried about the surgey because i had a bad time with the anestsia. How long is the recovery time?

Wow! Four months and you already eroded? I am so sorry.

If you erode once you are verrrry likely to erode again. Depending on where it eroded there is a small chance you could revise to another surgery type at the same time such as a sleeve.