Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band-Friendly Trainor?

Hi :)

I am having trouble finding a band-friendly trainer in my area :tongue_smilie:

The first one I spoke with is a newbie (also a relative) and he did some "research" with his mentor and trainer. His response was "Lap-Banders never exercise, so there is no data"

Second one I went to at our local YMCA was asking me questions and when I mentioned I had a lap-band, her response was "how soon can you get it out??" I cut her off right there.

Anyone else have a hard time with this? I know my limitations and will stop if I am tired.

I'd love to hear some tips :)

Thanks!

I dont really see why a trainer needs to be "band friendly". Your body still works the same way and will respond the same way to exercise. There's no rules you have to follow because you're banded (apart from taking it easy till you're healed).

You just need to find a trainer that you see eye to eye with in terms of exercise philosophies and such. And accept dietary limitations - but personally, as a runner, I've never found my band to limiit my ability to fuel myself for my sport.

Now, eating huge to bulk up is a different story, very very hard to do with a band.

So, in general, the exercise facts which apply to the general population also apply to you. The way to use exercise to assist weight loss is the same for you as for the next person. Band friendly really isnt necessary - although someone used to working with obese people would probably be nice.

I told my trainer I had WLS just because I tell everyone and I wanted to make sure he wasn't a WLS bigot. But it never comes up in our training. He's training me like any triathlete.

You could just not tell them you have a band and just go from there. They train you for exercise, they do not really get into what you eat. Unless your looking for someone that is kind of like a nutritionist and trainer?

My trainer overseas my nutrition, too, and I had to teach her about the band. I think the most important thing is if your personalities are compatible and your goals are understood and accepted by the trainer. I also agree that it is good to have a trainer who has worked with obese ppl before. Best wishes.

Mimi

IMO it's none of their business and it doesn't matter.

I worked with a trainer to set up an exercise plan, I told him my specific goals, he developed a plan. He asked if I was interested in nutrition, I told him that I had been losing a lot of weight and have already consulted a nutritionist, he said "great! make sure they know you are working out in case they want to make any adjustments" and that was that.

Interesting. My personal trainer approached me last week and told me I should think about becoming a trainer myself. I told her that I had been thinking about it and having my 'niche' being the WLS community. I know first hand the physical and emotional issues that go along with it and I do believe having a trainer that one can relate to would make a difference. Maybe I really am on to something.