Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell-what is it???

I haven't been banded yet, but I'll explain what I think it will be from what I've heard.

Basically after you heal from surgery but before you get a fill, you have no restriction and feel like "what the hell did I do to myself?" This is the point where you really have to work maybe the hardest, and it can get discouraging. At least this is what I have gathered from reading on here, and it's what I'm expecting.

I'm sure experienced bandsters can explain it better.

I think i might be in IT right now! It's been 15 days since my surgery and the swelling around my band must have gone down because i could eat my arm off most of the day:scared2::). I have to make myself stop eating when i have had my allowed amount. If i don't then i am sure that i will be hurting my pouch. I am really never fool and my tummy is always growling. I go in for my 1st fill on 6-30-09 and i can't wait, I hope it helps with the hunger. This may not be bandster hell, if it's not, then i don't really want to know what it is.:tongue_smilie:

Bandster hell is the period of time after surgery and before you get proper restriction where you are as hungry as you were before surgery and can eat as much as before, but of course you aren't allowed to eat as much as before. So, you are always hungry. Bandster hell may even kick in while you're still on the liquid only post op phase (as it did for me) when my cat's food started looking good. So, you've gone through the pain of the surgery and you are still hungry but can't eat - thus the hell.

Yes, unfortunately most go through bandster hell. It was described perfectly in the above responses. Good luck to you.

I am more scared of bandster hell than the surgery itself.

Please god, let it be tolerable!

I just wanted to add this. In that period postop you'll find some people on the boards who continued to lose weight, but MOST bandsters will fight to maintain (I gained and lost the same 3 pounds weeks 2-6) and my doctor warned me I may even gain during this time period. You have the band, but you have no or little fill. I just like to put this out there as a reminder. I knew it very well going into surgery, but once I hit bandster hell stage and didn't keep losing like I had preop and in the 1 week after surgery, I thought I was doing something wrong. Just eat the foods and portions your doctor has told you and you'll get through it fine. Then once you start with fills the weight will come off, but it may take several fills to get to your sweet spot. Patience is really important with the band.

it's completely doable...

I was the biggest glutton on the face of the planet. If it was something I liked, and it was available, it was in my mouth.

Nothing is "sure fire" we're all different after all....but Protein shakes help a lot (when you're on full liquids), chewable Fiber tabs (if you're allowed). Try to stay away from any kind of carbs for a while. (although admittedly, my first meal was a slice of pizza)...not everyone can handle the same things.

The easiest thing for me to eat and tolerate, is stir fried vegetables w/ extra firm tofu. roughly 300 calories for 16oz. You won't want to eat THAT much after freshly being banded. You'll be lucky to eat more than a few spoon fulls. Learning to eat with chopsticks helps too..(you can only pick up one thing at a time..or at the very most 3-4 if you're skilled like me)...still...CHEW.

I never experienced "bandster hell" until about a week before my first fill...for some reason, I didn't need on till 4 months after surgery...other's mileage my vary. When you can eat 1/3rd of your pre-op intake, see a fill dr.

another thing...DO NOT OBSESS ABOUT THE scale...

..weigh yourself once a week...THAT'S IT.

You're going to have to re-learn how to eat, be patient.

Eat somewhere quiet, away from distractions, do NOT watch TV while you're eating (at least for a while)...you'll still have a lot of your autonomous eating habits that you've had all your life that lead us up to where we're at. I've done it, I'll admit it....and I immediately went to try to cough it up before it hit my stomach...BE CAREFUL.