Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Anyone under 30 gotten the lap band??

Hi,

I just turned 25 and am sick and tired of being overweight (all my life, joined weight watchers seven times already and it's just not working) so I'm starting to research the lap band surgery. I have an appointment with a surgeon in a month but am scared he will just say positive things so I will get it done. I would soooo appreciate someone sharing their experience with me (the good, the bad, the ugly, everything). I'm feeling like this is my chance to get my life under control a little but at the same time am super scared. Has anyone gotten it reversed? Does it effect your chances of getting pregnant (if I wanted to down the line)? What is it like? Did it hurt? ok well any help would be 100% appreciated - Elle : )

Hi Elle,

Welcome to LBT. As you have read on here there are many ups and downs with being banded. With that said , this is the best thing I have ever done for myself. It has given me my life back. I experienced a lot of pain after surgery but it was 100% worth it. I have had no complications, a few plateus here and there, nothing a good fill wont fix. would I recommend it, you bet. As far as pregnancy with the band , it actually aids in getting pregnant. When you are losing weight you up the chances of becoming pregnant, although you should wait at least a year before trying to concieve. You asked about reversal, I have not had anything like that done, and as you can tell I still have a significant journey ahead of me. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Hope I can help. Good luck!

Im 22 and was just banded yesterday, The surgery was a breeze, I havent had much pain at all, I was perscibed liquid percocet and it has handled the little bit of pain I have had. I chose the band b/c I am so young and I do plan on having more kids in the future, and liked the fact that I can have the Fluid removed and have a normal pregnancy and then start over having my band refilled. The worst part is the waiting, I first saw the surgeon in Feb of this year and had to get in all required dr appts and then wait for insurance approval; but now that I look back on it, time really flew by! Good luck in whatever decision you make!

I'm 28 years old and just got banded on the 16th, four days ago. One of the best things I've ever done. There was a little bit of pain and discomfort and I'm still going through that, but the worst is the gas pain. It seemed to settle in my shoulders and neck the most. Now at four days post op most of it is gone, but it still hurts a little to hiccup. I was a "single incision" patient. Meaning they went in through my belly button of course, and then one other incision. The other incision is less than 1 cenitmeter wide. It's a little tiny thing. The one through the belly button is a little larger and kinda hurts if I sit too much during the day. I have to lay down and stretch out in order to keep that from hurting so much. I didn't get the liquid pain meds, I got regular pills. Make sure you get up and walk after surgery. It's going to help heaps.

Something to keep in the front of your mind is that everyone handles this differently. My mom got banded on the same day I did, same doc and everything and she's having a really rough time and in a lot of pain. I'm doing great. Could probably go back to work at this point, but I'm on vacation so why look a gift horse in the mouth right? lol

Please write me if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help with whatever I can. Hope this helps.

Im 23 and will be banded on June 25 Thursday and I can't wait. I have been overweight most of my life. I also did weight watchers, diet pills, working out and lifting weights and I would still only shed about 10 pounds at the most. I am a self pay and as soon as I was able to have the money I set my date. I wasn't nervous because my bff had the procedure about 2 years ago and was pregnant on her second year and she is great. Good luck with your decision. If I were you I would go ahead and get the process started with the docs and the insurance so if you do make up your mind to have it you won't have to wait as long to get banded!

I am 26 and was just banded 2 days ago. I am not having much pain at all. I was prescribed liquid tylenol with codeine and I only feel like I need to take it in the evening before I go to bed (just makes it a little easier to sleep comfortably). Since my surgery two days ago, I have already lost over a pound. And I lost 20 pounds on the pre-op diet. Although surgery is a complicated and often intimidating and nerve-wracking process, so far it has been totally worth it. I think it is also sometimes beneficial to have surgery young (not too young, but in your 20s) because there is a higher chance for us that our skin will retain its elasticity and we will have a little less floppy, extra skin. I can't wait to change my life!! Good luck to you on journey.