Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little gross but desperately need help

Ok, I have had this large, thick, piece of mucous stuck in the back of my throat since I had surgery. The nurse said it would eventually come up, but it wont. It comes up to the top of my throat and that's as far as it will go. I can't get it out of there and it's driving me insane. I gag on it, I have made my throat sore trying to cough it out (and i'm about done with that too because i'm afraid i'm going to hurt the band), and I have used an expectorant all day. Gargling doesnt work either. This this is nasty. Any ideas?

You know I had the same thing. I tried to ignore it and it did bother me. It would come up on to the back of my tongue. I could even see some white thing back there. It was like a string and it would move around to different sides of my throat.

I don't think it was mucous though because one day it finally came up and I pulled it out with my fingers. I felt it as I pulled it out slide up my throat. It was stringy. I think when they put the tube down your throat it irritated some of the tissue and dislodged it. Like skinning you knee.

What I pulled out was not mucous. It did not dissolve in my fingers. I was in the shower and I ran it under the Water and was able to roll it up into a ball. If I had not been in the shower I would have looked in the mirror.

I think the reason I could not cough it up or get liquid to make it go down is because it was still connected to me and had to fall off by itself. I can't remember how long it took but I think it was a few weeks.

It will go away and really I had forgotten about it until I read your post. Good luck!!

oh ew...weeks....nasty....i really hope it doesn't come up at work.

Thanks for the help ladies. I'm trying the warm liquids...and I can only hope it's days rather than weeks, but I'm done trying to hack it up. It's causing pain :confused:

You know what it looked like??? You ever bit the inside of your cheek really bad and you look in the mirror and its like white and sometimes the piece you almost bit off is hanging there like a string? That is what it looked like when I pulled it out. And dont worry about it coming out at work. It was just kind of like having a hair on my tongue but it was easier to grab. Weeks would be worse case. It did last for awhile though.

I had the same thing today. Only 1 day post op i used hot tea.Hot liquid seams to break it up and i was able to cough some of it out

It could be mucous too but I think its this thing that ends up flapping around in there. It tickles you and you feel it moving around. It kind of feels like mucous but it keeps coming back. I would drink something and it felt better and then it came back. It kind of feels like when you bite your cheek and you end up with a little string of flesh that moves back and forth and tickles you. When this happens to me I find myself poking at it with my tongue.

When your band gets tight mucous can also be a problem. It can even block your stoma in the morning. I have to drink a very hot cup of Water every morning before I drink Water or anything else or I end up BPing (Since my last fill).

Anyway just my 2 cents.

I took Robitussin all day yesterday. Just the expectorant. Not the suppressant. It worked wonders. I woke up this morning and I can barely feel it there. I'm guessing it's a muscous plug (sounds nasty but google helped). I'm guessing the guaifenesin in the robitussin broke it down a bit. I'll take more today and see how it goes :confused:

i also had my surgery on june 10th and i had that mucous stuff as well its very thick but i coughed it all up it hurt but only for a second the pillow against tummy helps alot..