Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band pain after surgery

Oh Julie!!

I hope you'll soon be feeling better!

I'm lucky, I work in local government in the UK and we get full pay when we're signed off sick by a doctor.

My Doctor told me from the outset that as I get paid, that she was going to make sure I took time to recover, and signed me off for 3 weeks!!!! I don't go back to work til 29th June, and my op was 8th June...

Take your time... it'll be worth it in the end!

Hi new bandsters!

The pain or discomfort is normal and will diminish as your surgery area heals. However I am 5 months postop and occasionally will move a certain way in bed and still get a sharp pain, esp if I have just had a recent fill. The gas pain is bad and the only thing to do is take the GasX strips or chewable tums, and WALK WALK WALK. The tightening, I think, is just part of the healing process. Everyone just keep your chin up b/c it is all worth the slight discomfort.

Hey Andy. Honestly I had pain around where the band is, but it was more discomfort with the fact that I could actually feel something on my stomach (weird) as for that feeling, it subsided for me about 2 weeks out. Straight after surgery though I felt like my stomach muscles where going to wreck the band as they where being weird and pushing out. Hope everything goes well =)

Dear dear all !

I was banded on the 12th. No puking or anything yet.

Just feel realllly bad pain around my shoulders/neck.

Today is the 2nd "official" day after my friday surgery, and whenever i drink ( Water or anything ) i feel really "full" or "bloated" or... "puffed up" stomach.

I shower carefully with a towel and not actually "pour water" on top of my wounds. No crazy pain on the actual wounded area, but I am so worried how long this is going to take to heal before I can actually start EXERCISING and keep fit !

Bad bad shoulder pain, haven't even have anything real to eat yet. 24 hours post op i only had Water, today I had some fat free sugar free yogurt and some soy beverage and my stomach feels and looks "puffed up" and whenever it feels like i want to burp it just gives me this "stuck" feeling around the chest area!

WHATS WRONG WITH ME? :tongue_smilie:

well i do have a question..can everyone feel there port..im either unable to feel it or im just not pushing hard enough to feel it..maybe its the swelling but idk..somebody please tell me

well i do have a question..can everyone feel there port..im either unable to feel it or im just not pushing hard enough to feel it..maybe its the swelling but idk..somebody please tell me

I can not feel my port right now but will expect to do so when I loose more weight. My dr. finds it by having me lay flat on my back then raise my head off the table and he pushes around till he finds it. He has never had any problems finding it.

I can not feel my port right now but will expect to do so when I loose more weight. My dr. finds it by having me lay flat on my back then raise my head off the table and he pushes around till he finds it. He has never had any problems finding it.

thanks so much..

Gob Bless the UK health care system. I recently wathced the Movie Sicko by Michael Moore. The it talked about health care around the world. It really sounds like the UK is one country who really has it figured out. I wasn't forced to go back to work I just felt like I should. Didn't want to let down the good folks who are covering for me right now. the emotional process is just as important as the physical one.

Thanks for posting. Its good to hear from folks who have been there. Right now the pressure and soreness i feel seems like it will never go away. Patients is a new concept for me to learn. :))

Hey I was banded two days before you. I found when I walk while I'm drinking my broth or slimfast it goes down better. Burping is not happening right now. Pray it comes out the other end! Everyday gets a little better. Hold on.

I can't feel mine. Just soreness.

is it normal to have pain where the band is? Also when I have to burp it is causing pain around where the band is and i have to take a couple of deep breaths to get it to stop. is this normal?

thanks

Yup, I get pain around the band site. When I feel air stuck in there, I lightly tape my chest above the band (gently, like burping a baby) and that will sometimes lessen the pain and help the burp along.

I've also noticed that sitting, or laying in certain positions, I can feel the band. I love sleeping on my left side. I can't do it, not because of the port pain, but because a 'tugging' feeling w/my band then the gas begins. So it seems, for now, I can only sleep on my back and right side.

Yeah - I have the same pain with burpy stuff - I'm told it's normal too.... I was banded on Monday - 8th June.

I DO have a lot of pain with my port site - it feels like it's pulling like mad, and I haven't yet been able to sleep in bed, I've slept on the couch sitting up!!!

My pain killers knock me out, but it's not good quality sleep - it's horrid sleep!!! I'm surviving on about 3 hours a night at present!!!

WOW I thought I was the only Moron sleeping on the couch sitting up position, what a horrible night sleep it is

I'm with you Julie.....I was all prepared to go back to work on Tuesday, June 16th. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!! I went for my post-op appointment this morning and everything looks good. Stopped at the job to pick up some paperwork and then to the store to pick up a few things for my "SOFT FOODS" on Wednesday, June 17th. By the time I got home I was exhausted. I am not going back to work until Monday,

June 22nd.

Take the time ya need and rest. :)

I was banded on Monday, June 8th. I have the realize band. The port incision still hurts and I also have the pulling pain as everyone else has mentioned.

I stayed home all last week. On Saturday instead of feeling better I felt worse and did not think I was going to be able to return to work today. But then Sunday came around and I felt 100% better.

I am back at work, but I have a desk job. I am surviving the day without much pain. I do notice that getting up every hour and walking helps a lot. If I had to do anything but sit on my chair, I would not have been able to go back to work.

The only pain I am having now is this horrible back pain (towards the top). If feels like pneumonia ...