Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date is 7/8/09, very nervous

Hello everyone

I am gearing up for surgery on July 8 at 2:30. Send out a prayer for me, I am very nervous right now. This will be my first surgery ever. I have done my nutrition counseling and pre-op testing yesterday, physical is next week.

I am off all carbonation and haven't been using a straw (probably more sad to give up the straw, truth be known).

The site is awesome and I am learning a lot form all of you already. Thanks for the support. By the way, what the heck is PBing??? Not a texter, need some updates on the lingo.

Suzanne

Hi. I just got my band yesterday and was in pretty much the same boat as you. I'd never had surgery before. I can tell you that it really wasn't that bad at all. I was up and walking within 30 minutes of getting out of the OR. Your experience may vary, but it really was nowhere near as bad as I had it pictured it in my head.

PB = Productive Burp

So you burp and stuff comes back up. :thumbdown: I'm not clear on what would cause this, but I'd assume it has something to do with eating a little too much.

I haven't had the privilege yet, but I think we all do at some point.

I wish you much success and will be praying for your speedy recovery. My second visit to the surgeon is 06/16 and the date for the surgery will be set then so...I am very excited and nervous. This site is great for support and information, keep up the good work everyone. Love from NYC.

Hi, I was banded 11.28.2007 good luck with everything! I too was up and walking within 30 mins to an hour after surgery (this was a requirement....not an option) :thumbdown: and I was home by 5:00 that night. (I was banded in TX)

The PBing you will experience if you do not eat the right foods or if as mentioned above you eat too much, eat too fast etc. It is different for everyone! Even after being banded for 1 year and 7 months there are days that I PB because I haven't listened to my body. Once you get past the liquid phase and start on your soft foods start noticing how your body is reacting and start listening to your body. You will thank yourself in the end.

That being said do no let this worry you, and if you have any questions please feel free to drop a line, I'm still trying to figure this site out though :laugh:

Kristal

278Pre/195C/140G

I know any surgery can be scary, let alone your first. The first time I had surgery I was petrified. I hated hospitals; people DIE in hospitals! But it was also fascinating (the OR looked nothing like I had imagined! LOL) and I came through great.

Modern anaesthesia is a wonderful thing, and with all the info they'll have on you (from tests tests and more tests) you're probably safer there than taking a walk in your neighborhood! :thumbdown: But, it's still scary.

PB happens usually when a bite/bolus of food won't go through your stoma (hole caused by the band), either because the bite you took was too large, or because it wasn't well chewed, or because you are already full. It usually happens as you get restriction, not when the band is unfilled. Your esophagus wants the food GONE, not sitting there at the top of your stomach. If it won't GO DOWN, it comes back up. That usually is accompanied by coughing, "slime" (mucus your body produces to coat the offending object, making it slick and easily transported) and some bouts of just liquid coming up. (everyone is different, this is just generally)

There is no stomach bile involved and so recovery is usually quick, relief (having food stuck isn't comfortable) is quick, and so on. No horrid aftertaste, no erosion of enamel. It isn't "good" in that it causes your band to contort as you contract to expel the food, but it isn't as drastic as vomiting.

Hope that helps! :laugh:

How exciting Suzanne! As nerve wracking as it is, it's gonna be such a great day and start to a new you.

I am finishing up my 3 month program in July and am hoping for an August / September surgery. So, I'll be shortly behind you. I'll be nervous and excited too.

Good luck, it will be here before you know it!

Hi Suzanne!

Just wanted to say that my banding will also be my first surgery ever, and I am scheduled to go in on 18th August, so not too far behind you!

Best wishes, hope you share your journey with us.

- MissK

Hello everyone

I am gearing up for surgery on July 8 at 2:30. Send out a prayer for me, I am very nervous right now. This will be my first surgery ever.

You sound very similar to me! I'm having my surgery (WOOHOO!!!) on July 7th..and it's my first ever too! I just had the GI scope done yesterday..that was my first I.V and first real anesthesia...all went well!

Monday I have my pre-op appointment (labs, chest x-ray, ekg)....follwing week is my week "off" of appointments since it's the ONLY week since getting my surgery date that I dont' have an appointment to go to....the 29th is my PCP appointment...july 1st is my pre op with the PA to make sure I'm all set...july 2nd i start all liquids...i've never been so excited to not eat in my life!

Edited by barbie1978

Stay focused on the outcome and trust in your doctor. I've never been fond of not being in control, and turning my insides over to someone else to manhandle, well, not my idea of a way to spend a morning, but the end result is what I am focusing on!

It will be fine, in the end, and when it's over you'll be starting on a brand new you!

Thanks guys!! All of your messages are really helpful and encouraging. I am starting to get excited. I am a big shopaholic, so I am starting to think about cute new clothes. I have been out on the hunt for all my stuff to set up shop for post-surgery period at home on full liquids.< /p>

Is there anything out there that you all just can't live without now that you are banded? I got a bullet blender over the weekend and have several Protein beverages lined up as well as small eating utensils and measuring devices. Got my Vitamins as well. Any more hints for me?