Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BKNY,

I understand how you feel. I was banded a week ago today and have many of the same feelings. Blue, depressed, frustrated...the only think I can find that helps is talking to my husband, who is very supportive.

I've also kept myself busy at night, watching tv shows that I like, and relaxing. That helps to keep my mind off of "things". I'm still healing so I can't exercise yet, and that is also frustrating.

I think exercising will help - but it's so hard when I'm so used to turning to food to make me feel better - and now not only can I not do that, I have a super strict "diet" to follow.

I hope you feel better. It sounds like you've really hit it off w/ some of the other posters, hopefully they can be the support that you need!

BKNY - I was banded just a few day before you, June 3rd. I'll be on the full liquids for 3 weeks and then the pureed for another 2 or so. That being said, I have a few weeks before I can eat the pureed foods but I read something on here that made sense to me - the person said they just have what their family has (some moderations as necessary) but they puree it in the blender and add chicken or beef stock if needed. They said the stock has better flavor than just the broth. Anyway, I was talking to my fiance' last night and told him about reading that and it seemed to make sense. That way you don't feel like you have to cook different for yourself. Anyway, I thought it was a good suggestion and I intend on trying it. One person recommended making chicken fajitas (without the tortillas) and pureeing the peppers, onion, and chicken and then having some mashed up Beans - sounded great to me! After 3 weeks of liquids I'll be sooooo ready for anything with some consistency!

Also, I've had a few thoughts like, "wow, what did I do?" since my surgery but no depression. My fears seemed to come out the week prior to surgery - I found myself in tears almost every night saying things like, "what if I do this and fail?". Thankfully, I have a wonderful support system and I'm able to lean on them.

Good luck on your weight loss journey, know that you will succeed!

Thanks, i'm sure you will hear from me alot as I get through this. I am also online Mon-Fri from 9-5 at work. It's so hard for me because I have been such an unhealthy eater for so long. This morning I had to force myself to eat yogurt. It was the first time in my life eating it and I didn't really like it but I needed to eat something. This is a big struggle for me. But let me know how you do with the chicken? How are you eating it? Mashed up?

I am the same way, always ate things that were bad for me. But I'm getting used to it. I don't normally like yogurt either, but the taste has gotten better to me. It's a great source of Protein, so I try to get it down. I will let you know about the chicken. I'm actually having it like almost shredded, in very small pieces. My doc gave me the ok to try meat in other forms, so I'm excited but nervous! Oh, have you tried egg beaters? I find them to be so good, and they have no fat and so much protein! Give those a shot when you feel up to it, I just scramble them up and they are great! :thumbdown:

Oh and refried Beans are a HUGE help as well! Taste yummy and have lots of protein!

I was worried too. I hadn't really understood about "Bandster Hell" . . the period between where you get on regular food and before your first fill. The truth is that you will basically be able to eat just like you did before during that time (so be careful! They call it "Bandster Hell" b/c you had the surgery, but your band isn't really working yet). For me, it was a relief to know that I could be just like before simply by taking out the fill.

Of course, since my weight has started going down, I haven't wanted to take out the fill. The band works wonderfully and I love it. I still found it comforting in the beginning to know that I COULD take out the fill though, if I really hated it.

Hang in there -- you are going to be fine, and I bet that in a months, you'll be singing your band's praise along with the rest of us! :thumbdown:

Best wishes,

Catherine

BKNY,

I understand how you feel. I was banded a week ago today and have many of the same feelings. Blue, depressed, frustrated...the only think I can find that helps is talking to my husband, who is very supportive.

I've also kept myself busy at night, watching tv shows that I like, and relaxing. That helps to keep my mind off of "things". I'm still healing so I can't exercise yet, and that is also frustrating.

I think exercising will help - but it's so hard when I'm so used to turning to food to make me feel better - and now not only can I not do that, I have a super strict "diet" to follow.

I hope you feel better. It sounds like you've really hit it off w/ some of the other posters, hopefully they can be the support that you need!

lindsayb

I am sorry you are feeling that way but at the same time i'm glad that i'm not the only one. So far this website has been a great help. This morning I was crying my eyes out wishing i never got the surgery and now I am starting to feel better. Thanks for your help!

I was worried too. I hadn't really understood about "Bandster Hell" . . the period between where you get on regular food and before your first fill. The truth is that you will basically be able to eat just like you did before during that time (so be careful! They call it "Bandster Hell" b/c you had the surgery, but your band isn't really working yet). For me, it was a relief to know that I could be just like before simply by taking out the fill.

Of course, since my weight has started going down, I haven't wanted to take out the fill. The band works wonderfully and I love it. I still found it comforting in the beginning to know that I COULD take out the fill though, if I really hated it.

Hang in there -- you are going to be fine, and I bet that in a months, you'll be singing your band's praise along with the rest of us! :thumbdown:

Best wishes,

Catherine

Catherine55, thanks for the advice. I really need it right now. So once I get my first fill if I truly hate it, I can take it out and I would be free to eat just as I did before the surgery with no restrictions? (hopefully that will not be the case) But I need that comfort there to get me through this, because I am terrified. Also when you do get a fill how is the eating different? Is it hard to tolerate certain foods? Can you eat normal just in moderation?

I am the same way, always ate things that were bad for me. But I'm getting used to it. I don't normally like yogurt either, but the taste has gotten better to me. It's a great source of Protein, so I try to get it down. I will let you know about the chicken. I'm actually having it like almost shredded, in very small pieces. My doc gave me the ok to try meat in other forms, so I'm excited but nervous! Oh, have you tried egg beaters? I find them to be so good, and they have no fat and so much protein! Give those a shot when you feel up to it, I just scramble them up and they are great! :thumbdown:

I am going to pick up the refried Beans and eggbeaters tonight at the grocery store. I will give them a try this weekend. Do you know what "pb" means? I have read that on this forum and don't understand the term, i'm still learning

I am going to pick up the refried Beans and eggbeaters tonight at the grocery store. I will give them a try this weekend. Do you know what "pb" means? I have read that on this forum and don't understand the term, i'm still learning

I just recently learned what a pb was as well, in fact, had my first one on Monday. :thumbdown: Anyway, it's a productive burp. Basically, when you eat something and you feel like you have to burp and the food comes back up with the burp. I got mine from eating tunafish too fast! I just have to remember to eat slowly and take small bites!

I had the surgery on the 28th and what you are going through is 100% normal, I think as obese adults we have questionnioned ourselves our whole lives... but it does get better, I am a good week ahead of you and am feeling much better now and very happy with my decision and slow weight loss. Hang in there.

Immediately after surgery I felt like "OMG!!!!, what did I just do?". I felt scared and like a big loser who had to resort to surgery to lose weight. But, I got ove that real fast once the pounds started coming off. I was banded in October and have lost 64 pounds, feel great, look great and can do a lot of stuff now. This will pass for you. Its very common. Dont worry. Good Luck!!!:thumbdown:

I was banded this Monday June 8th, 2009. I find myself having a hard time psychologically dealing with this new change. I know I did a good thing that is going to change my life but I can't help feeling down and questioning if I did the right thing. Has anyone felt the same way? I found myself crying last night and this morning and just feeling anxiety and fear, wondering if I can actually do this. Especially the 4 weeks of pureed and smashed food. I would love to talk to someone who may have had the same feelings and has had the band for a while and can tell me what to expect

You all have been so helpful to me today. Thanks for putting me at ease. If you don't mind i'm going to add you all as friends being I am new to this site.

I just recently learned what a pb was as well, in fact, had my first one on Monday. :thumbdown: Anyway, it's a productive burp. Basically, when you eat something and you feel like you have to burp and the food comes back up with the burp. I got mine from eating tunafish too fast! I just have to remember to eat slowly and take small bites!

Oh my, that doesn't sound very fun! Is it painful? Or you jsut basically throw your food up and then feel fine afterwards? I'm not looking forward to that

BKNY30 - you sound like you have alot of questions and are very anxious about your decision to have the surgery. If your insurance paid for your surgery I'm sure you had to go thru quite an ordeal to even get approved. So don't even think about not following thru with allowing the band to work for you. I've been banded about 2 months now with 3 fills to date and have never had a PB or "sliming" (your mouth seems to create alot of saliva fast that you don't want to swallow).

There is alot of great information on this site from fellow bandsters, some veterans, and many who are a "work in progress". View this as a journey...where at the end of the journey the possibilities are, well, endless.

Myself, when I wasn't on some crazy diet or another, I was a potato chip/chip dip and pizza girl. Most of what I ate was junk. You know that saying "you are what you eat?" Well, to some degree, that is true. For others, heredity can be a b*tch.

You are at a stage that is the absolute hardest part of the program...the pre- and post-op diet. Just remember to drink lots of fluids, eat slowing, chew well, and eat your Proteins. Stop eating when you no longer feel hungry and do what the doc tells you to as far as your post-op diet.

You will need to be committed to having a band. You can and will have alot of success with the lap band if you follow the guidelines. You will feel better, look better and hopefully live longer because of the choice you made. Be proud of that. It's work, no doubt about it. But the payoff will be priceless! I wish you the very best! :thumbdown: