Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Bunnies '09- Let's share: How are you doing?

OK, it's been a month-two months for everyone now. I've noticed a wide diversity of how people are doing, but it seems like many of us are still in 'Bandster Hell' even though some of us have gotten 4 or more fills already. Thought it would be good for us to have a first 'CHECK-UP' and share where we are for support so we don't feel alone (feel free to leave some blank if you don't want to share them). How are you doing?

You can copy and paste these 5 headers to get started:

----------------------------------------------------------

1. WEIGHT-

2. FILLS-

3. RESTRICTION-

4. RULES-

5. ANYTHING ELSE-

Here's the explanation of the above:

1. WEIGHT- Losing weight at the rate of 1.5-2 lbs. per week or more now, OR I'm hardly losing anything, stalled or gaining.

2. FILLS- Band Capacity/Total # of cc's in my band now/# of fills I've had (if you had a fill during surgery count that as a seperate first fill too).

3. RESTRICTION- Have any, how much, anyone at their Sweet Spot already? OR are you still in Bandster Hell?

4. RULES- I'm doing well following all my Bandster food rules, OR I'm having a hard time with them, specifics?

5. ANYTHING ELSE- Whatever else you want to share about where you are on your path now; positive or negative.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'll start...

1. WEIGHT-Still losing very slowly, but lowest week was 1lb.

2. FILLS-10cc band/3cc total in/1 fill

3. RESTRICTION- Maybe the tiniest bit of restriction (fill 2 days ago), but I've been in Bandster Hell for a month so the weight loss is all me, no band help.

4. RULES-Following most of them, but I have a hard time remembering waiting to drink long enough after (I need a timer on a watch), and haven't needed to chew much lately.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I need to get more consistent with exercise! Even with Bandster Hell now...I love my band.

1. WEIGHT- I'm getting closer to 40 lbs lost since January. I count from then as that was my highest weight and when I decided enough was enough!

2. FILLS- I had a fill on Tuesday. But I do not know how much was put in or what size band I have. I will find out all of that on my next visit. My Doc didn't tell me and I didn't ask :redface:

3. RESTRICTION- I'm on liquids until 4pm today. So I don't know if there has been restriction change. I can tell you that I had NONE before, I could eat whatever and however much I wanted. Though I've tried to eat far less than I used too. Have had some bad days, but more good days.

4. RULES- I'm not the best at following rules. Though there are a few I don't mess with; drinking while eating, eating soft breads and eating right before bed. I've been very good about drinking my Water.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I walk 2 miles daily Monday- Friday. I do a lot of gardening and yardwork on the weekends. I haven't started working out at the gym yet. I went a few times, but not routine. I've got to just get my butt out of bed at 5am and go! * I think I picked to high of a goal for the July 4th challenge. But any loss is a good loss :)

Can't wait to read this thread as everyone responds! Go BUNNIES GO!!!

hi everybody

here's my info

1. WEIGHT- i have lost 32 pounds since my surgery 6 weeks ago

2. FILLS- i went today for my first fill but he chose not to fill me

3. RESTRICTION- i had no restriction after the surgery, like week 2 and then after i started a Water aerobics class at week 4 the band seemed to tighten and it takes about 6 hrs before i am hungry between meals

4. RULES- having a very hard time with the no liquids during meals, sometimes i want/need a sip of Water - trying very hard to break that habit

5. ANYTHING ELSE- learned the hard way in vegas over the weekend that chicken is not my friend. 2 bites of baked chicken got stuck and i felt it for over 24 hrs.

everything else is good - i don't miss my dr peppers anymore and have mad energy and a new boyfriend which is a plus :unsure: love to the group

kate

weight.png

1. WEIGHT- I'm losing, but stalling out around 199, so fun going up and down between onederland and 200...I'm trying not to focus too much on the pounds but on the fact that my clothes are all loose.

2. FILLS- one fill (1.5 mL's) a week and a half ago. Really strange feeling...

3. RESTRICTION- well, it's weird. Some days, I can eat whatever the heck I want, others, I get stuck and throw up. The pain is unbelievable and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just an idiot that can't seem to get it right. Is this bandster hell?

4. RULES- what rules? I am horrible at following the rules. I do try to ensure that I eat Protein first and then vegetables, but I have to admit, I have had SF ice cream, cake, pie, flour tortillas, bread (carbs are my nemesis)...the worst one is not drinking while eating. I have yet to break that pattern 100%. When I've been painfully stuck, a sip of Water will bring whatever the offending bite was up and out, which is sweet relief. Never thought I would say that about PB'ing, but LORD, the pain of being stuck is horrendous. You'd think that I would just stop trying to eat at this point...I do chew chew chew, which is new for me. Maybe I am learning something, slowly but surely.

5. ANYTHING ELSE-I have realized that diet coke tastes like crap when you haven't had it in a while, so I'm not having a problem with staying off of carbonated drinks. I was going to post this morning about being an idiot that keeps getting stuck. I try to take smaller bites, but I get so hungry and stupidly start to eat like I've never had a band...really tiresome. I'm not sure when I will get it through my thick skull...feeling really down on myself about it. I'd like to at least make it down to 198 in the next few weeks. I'm not even going to try for a July 4th challenge. I am riding my bike more and loving it though...

1. WEIGHT- I'm getting closer to 40 lbs lost since January. I count from then as that was my highest weight and when I decided enough was enough!

I walk 2 miles daily Monday- Friday.

40 pounds is awesome...I count from my first PCP diet visit also. 2 miles a day is great...I wish I could be that consistent!

hi everybody

1. WEIGHT- i have lost 32 pounds since my surgery 6 weeks ago

3. RESTRICTION- i had no restriction after the surgery, like week 2 and then after i started a Water aerobics class at week 4 the band seemed to tighten and it takes about 6 hrs before i am hungry between meals.

32 lbs. in 6 weeks is amazing! I've heard of people tightening up weeks later, awesome...not hungry for 6 hours, so jealous! Sorry about the chicken (that's about half my Protein intake). Congrats on the new BF!

5. ANYTHING ELSE-I have realized that diet coke tastes like crap when you haven't had it in a while, so I'm not having a problem with staying off of carbonated drinks. I was going to post this morning about being an idiot that keeps getting stuck. I try to take smaller bites, but I get so hungry and stupidly start to eat like I've never had a band...really tiresome. I'm not sure when I will get it through my thick skull...feeling really down on myself about it.

That's good news on the diet Coke. Sorry about all the 'stucks', is it just certain foods or is it just when you forget to chew anything? Keep in mind there's a huge learning curve with this band and don't beat yourself up for not getting it all perfect. Stay focused on what you're doing that's positive; you're in Onederland, you're riding your bike!

Great job all! Hope to hear from some more bunnies!

Hi! My name is Abby and i was banded on April 16th of this year with Dr. Nirmal Jayseelan. Found your thread and thought it would be great to respond to this. This is my information below.

273/251/143

1. WEIGHT- Still at 251 as of 5/26 and 6/5, no weight loss just managing.:cursing:

2. FILLS-1 fill on 5/26, 3.4 cc's

3. RESTRICTION- not much really, can really eat most times but try not to / last week I was feeling pretty depressed for being able to eat more (BECAUSE I'M HUNGRY!!)

4. RULES- Have a REALLY HARD TIME with them!!!! Going back to basics: drink more Protein / eat more protein

5. ANYTHING ELSE- 2nd fill on 6/20 - I am hoping that I will have enough resistance to AT LEAST ! lose 1-2 pounds a week, at least !!!!!! ---------Need to begin to walk at least / have not done that! but I try to keep myself busy with my grown kids and at home.

Love the idea of this thread! So good to know how other people are doing.

1. WEIGHT- So far, I've lost 17 lbs since surgery 6 weeks ago...27 total. Gained during liquid/mushy phase right after surgery but that first fill did the trick for awhile. Was losing a pound a day until this wknd...went to a friend's bbq and lost much of my self-control. It's been a struggle since then.

2. FILLS- I've had one fill...heard the dr. say that she was putting in 2.5 cc but to be honest, I haven't asked her what size my band is and how much Fluid is in there. Don't want to get all hung up on that.

3. RESTRICTION- For the week right after my fill, I was pretty tight. Never got to a point where I couldn't eat solids but had to eat slooowly and chew very well or pay the price - painful. Now I am in bandster hell. I am hungry 2-3 hours after I eat instead of 4-5.

4. RULES- I'm doing mostly ok on the rules, which I find shocking because broke the rules during pre- and post-op phases. Not drinking with meals or for 30 min after. ZERO bread or Pasta. I have had a smidgen of white potatoes. I practice chewing but I could be chewing much more...even though I HATE that terrible feeling you get when a bigger bite is going through after not being chewed up enough, i still have a problem chewing as much as I should. And I'm still taking much bigger bites than I should. But because it's easier to get away with now that they band has loosened up, I am still doing it. The one rule I cannot follow is only 3 meals a day and no snacking. I get so hungry! It's more like 3 meals a day with a mid-afternoon and evening snack. Really want to get rid of those Snacks and I'm hoping another fill helps with that.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I'm having a terrible time with head hunger. I constantly gripe and complain about how this is just another diet...and a non fun one at that. I feel like a bad bandster for complaining but there you have it. Up until this past wknd, I was doing good at ignoring the head hunger but that bbq triggered something and led to a mini-binge. Of course it was about 1/4 of what would have been a binge before but it halted my weight loss, nonetheless. My job is stressful and making me unhappy and I decided to deal with it by eating. I had one too many sweet potato fries in a large bite and bam! Stuck. Wow, it was one of the worst things I have ever experienced.:cursing: It lasted about 15 minutes but it felt like an eternity. i was scared to drink Water and I desperately didn't want it to come back up becuase I knew I'd have to go on liquids if that happened. Eventually it went down. I'll never shove that many sweet potato fries in my mouth again! Also, I learned that some foods trigger me. Crackers - I love 'em but I'll have to give them up. And no more 100-calorie Snacks. I can't just have them occasionally, I have 1 every day. So I won't buy them once I run out of this batch.

There is a learning curve to this for sure. I definitely thought it was going to be easier than this. But nothing about this has been easy. The thing keeping me going is feeling my clothes get looser and seeing my face get ever so slightly thinner. In certain lights, I can even see the hint of my collar bones:thumbup: Sorry for rambling!

1. WEIGHT-265

2. FILLS- June 1, 09 - .7 cc's / 2nd fill scheduled for July 6,09.

3. RESTRICTION- a tiny bit.

4. RULES- I am not doing well, I have horrible habits that are getting in the way of weight loss. I do not drink with meals or to soon after. I am eating carbs and junk. As you can tell, it's not working for me.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I feel like I am failing at this too. I say too because of past failures. I do my best to stay positive and focused, but the lack of results has me in the dumps with little momentum. Plus, I am a teller, so I have the people I told looking at me and not seeing a chnage. Oh, boy does that ever feel great....NOT! So I am in bandster hell. I did not think the band would fix my weight problems. I did think I would see some positive results. At this point, I have lost inches, and have been drinking my liquids! YAY! Those are awesome changes. I have to be patient and wait for the results I am longing for. Oh, and I am much more active now, so that is a plus as well. Thanks for the vent!

First of all, I'd like to say something to Angie and to anyone else to whom this might apply: You are not failing at the band - the band is failing you!

the band has a specific function. it is meant to create a sensation of saiety (sp) (fullness) with less food. if it isn't doing that, it isn't functioning properly.

sure, we can eat our way around this band, but that isn't the initial point. it is a point, but for later.

i was fortunate to have this life changing surgery April 1st, making me 71 days post op. and for those counting, my practice looks at 90 days out to have adjustments close to where they should be. so stop being so hard on yourselves and take advantage of this adjustment period to figure things out, including your head.

even if there is some serious sabotage going on, you still have a chance. because you still have the band. anyone who isn't friends with their doctor should get another doctor.

do not declare defeat. fight for the results promised to you when they were selling you on this procedure. you haven't failed.

(stepping off soap box)

1. WEIGHT

highest 228

surgery 4-1-212

5-1 - 204 (2 lbs a week)

5-26 - 201 (you do the math)

6-8-09 - 196 (2 lbs a week)

2. FILLS-in a 10cc band

1) 5-1 - 2.5 cc

2) 5-26 - 2.6 cc = 5.1cc

3) 6-8 - 1cc = 6.1cc

3. RESTRICTION- none until the 3rd fill. i think i've got it. when i don't eat slow enough, i physically cannot eat another bite for a few minutes. PERFECT. so i slow down. i can't drink as fast as i could before. PERFECT.

4. RULES-here's where this process will be different for me than any other time i've tried to lose weight. i will break the "rules" life happens. so how do i account for the times and incidences and still make this work? THAT is the job of this medical staff that has my life in their hands (and mine in my stomach).

5. ANYTHING ELSE when i go in for a check up (and a fill) i tell them all the things i am able to eat that i don't want to be able to eat. i could down 6 Biotin pills all at once. i ate 6 oz of steak and another 7 oz 3 hours later. that's when they looked at each other and said "she needs a good fill". if you don't succeed, THEY haven't succeeded. they didn't keep their promise. i want the physical restriction promised to me. that's what i signed up for. that's what i paid for. that's why i'm doing this.

there is no failing, because there are no other options for me. i hit bottom and there is no where to go but up.

so stick to your guns ladies. tell them you are capable of eating in a way that will not help you lose weight. tell them you need them to make it so you cannot physically fail.

on a side note, let me say this: at the initial office visit, i met with four different staff members. on four separate occasions, they all told me "ya know, you can eat your way around this band..." until i heard it (4 times) it never dawned on me to even try. I admit, with all due respect, I looked each one of them in the eye and in no uncertain terms told them : "hey, i'm not fucking around here." I'm not here to learn HOW to eat my way out of this. i'm here to learn how to use this to my advantage.

on another side note, let me also say i realize after reading these posts that i am one of the lucky ones having little or no complications. the worst part of it all has been left shoulder pain post op for 3 weeks and now if i eat too much or too fast. it's a good signal for me to stop when i feel that.

i am happy to say i might have found a good fill point with this last visit. i had 8oz of steak in front of me tonight and could only eat half. i had an entire box of Green Giant brussel sprouts in butter sauce before this last fill, made it again and couldn't come close to finishing. so this is good. my practice is overcautious with a very gradual approach allowing the stomach and your system and YOU to get familiar with this process. USE THEM to help you. i've had alcohol, and counted it (i'm a food log nut). i had 16 oz of 2% chocolate milk. and i counted it and didn't go over for the day. and that's going to happen sometimes. so here i am deep into week 10 (your typical weight loss program) and as my motivation starts to waver as patterns show, this is when we figure out how to live with it.

someday i'll have to figure out the "why" but for now, i am still optomistic. so keep your heads up ladies, and hold the doctor accountable for some of this. work with him, be honest and let life dictate how you can use the band to help you the most.

sorry for the long long post, but i felt it important since so many of you are blaming yourselves for what might not be your fault.

keep your head high and we will succeed.

hugs

knewme

Hi, I was banded on April 1st.

WEIGHT:

Highest- 242 (around March 1st)

Surgery-236

Current- 211

FILLS:

May 11--not sure how much

RESTRICTION:

Really none, can still eat large portions, steak, etc.

RULES:

I keep to all the rules, journal, exercise, haven't cheated with anything

ANYTHING ELSE:

I never went through "bandster hell", have no cravings, am usually mildly hungry at most, and have been losing about 2 pounds a week, although this past week I didn't lose anything. I attribute my weight loss and lack of cravings to a low carb diet. I get in about 100g of Protein a day, eat less than 30g carbs, and keep my fat intake low. I also try to get in about 80 oz Water.

knewme- Thanks for that post. I was just blogging here Friday about how I was gaining this week and my second fill wasn't until July 21 (SEVEN weeks after the first one). I called and they were able to squeeze me in next week (only 2 weeks after my first/only fill of 3cc's total). I'm afraid my doc won't give me anything (but he's gone most of July) since it's so close to the first fill, but you've made me determined to plead my case! I'm going to keep track of what I can eat between now and Tuesday's appt. Thanks!

WEIGHT:

Highest- 241 - 20 Jan 09

Surgery-196 - 23 Apr 09

Current- 176

FILLS:

Currently have 6 cc's in a 10 cc band

RESTRICTION:

I had my second fill on Tuesday and now have pretty much reached my "sweet spot". Initially I was very tight and thought that I may have to go back for a defill but it has since relaxed just enough.

RULES:

I'm doing okay. Just trying to remember the no drinking during meals. I am also getting back into going tothe gym but the next month is going to be hectic .... we are moving across country.

ANYTHING ELSE:

I do eat some unhealthy food. I also use some of the 100 cal items for Snacks. Usually one packet can last 2 snack times. I now eat from a small plate and now can usually not even finish that.

Continued luck to everyone.

Weight: I'm down 31 pounds or so (8 of that pre-band) from surgery day on April 27th. I lost a lot in the first two weeks post-op and stalled. Then lost 3-5 more after my first fill and now another stall.

Fills: 1 fill on June 2nd. 4cc in an 11cc band. It felt really weird and I could barely get liquids down for two days after.

Restriction: Now I have restriction, I can fit about a cup of food down or less. I'm rarely hungry.

Rules: My doc told me lean Protein and veggies. I was doing great up until the first fill. Not being able to get much in there makes me more of a mad snacker. Tiny portions of food here and there. Like 15 cheezits for dinner. Hey, it's what looked good at the time. Why am I not loosing weight when I'm eating like a bird? I'm sure it's because my body is in starvation mode. So I'm about to get back on the salads again- I was doing great with those.

Anything else: I was exercising regularly on my treadmill prior to the fill. The fill and no eating for two days after made me so weak all I did was sleep when I had the chance. Then I started feeling more energy and work, kids, life got in the way and I burned myself out and now have had a miserable summer cold for 4 days. I'm burned out, wiped out and wish I had the energy or desire to exercise. I know that is all I need to jump start another 5lbs off. I'm just too tired to care! I hope to be feeling better by Monday and get back on the treadmill and throw in some pilates. (and have a better attitude!) I am getting my Water in tho, which is a plus for me!

Knewme,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm scheduled for another fill this coming Sat 6/20 and I pray that this will work for me.

Best Regards,

Abby

Let me start by saying I have a realize band, so my fill amounts will probably be higher than those with a lap band. That being said, here goes:

1. WEIGHT- started 262/ current 225

2. FILLS - 1st. 5.5cc/ 2nd- 3 cc = 8.5 cc

3. RESTRICTION- Great. Might even be my sweet spot, we'll see as the weeks go on.

4. RULES- I'm doing very well on all fronts. I could use a tad more Water though.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I'm loving this journey!!:)