Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I am failing at this!!!!

I was banded in November and have had four fills. I don't think I'm at the point I need to be (fill-wise) and am having another fill tomorrow. I'd be lying if that the only thing I could use as an excuse though. I am just not doing this right!! I need to "re-start" from step 1 and need to get my head in to this. I t hink I would be so much more successful if I actually "worked the program." Has anyone been here??? I am so mad at myself for not doing the right thing. Anyone's advice is appreciated!!! (Please don't take this as an invitation to be nasty, I know this is all on me!)

Yes--My hubby and I are at this same point. We are going tomorrow for a fill. We are committed to start this process again--fresh. I feel so disgusted with myself for gaining the weight I have. I wish you much success.

I have sure felt this way, many times since being banded. This is just a tool, as everyone says. I don't think ANYONE is truly prepared for life after the band, until you are banded. I'm happy for some people that get banded and are able to immediately live a strict, follow every band rule, life. I think if I had that kind of power, I would never been a food addict. We have to make a mental change along with the band. You've taken the first step. I (IN MY OPINION) think this takes time and does not automatically come with being banded--no matter how much counseling you have pre-band. One week/month I may do very well, and other times I struggle EVERY SINGLE DAY. No one is perfect, no matter what they say.

Just make sure you start every day with positive thoughts. Journal your thoughts and every bite you put in your mouth (no matter good or bad). Eat right, exercise, get a fill. Don't let yourself spiral down--it gets very hard to pull yourself back up...just like waiting for Monday to start a diet. Monday never comes.

You can do this. We all can.

I was originally banded sept 2007, I had to have it taken out and replaced due to erosion. I had it put back in dec 2008. I have just had a really difficult time jumping back on the wagon. I feel that I am reald to re commit. I felt so good when I lost the weight and now I feel depressed at the weight I have gained. I will start journaling and start my days positive. Thank you for your encouraging words and good luk to you.--Michele :0)

I try to look at it like this: I have (well, had) to improve, i didnt have to be perfect. I dont have to stick to a food plan absolutely 100%, all it took was to change the balance between calories in, calories out over a long period of time and the weight went.

Now, I wanted to be healthier. You can lose weight eating nothing but KFC if you really want to. So I do eat well. I think what do I want for Breakfast and the Coco Pops might sound good, but I dont follow every urge like that! But I never put myself on a very strict diet (and we dont tend to approach it like that in australia).

I think its really important to work with your strengths and weaknesses. I may not have any real eating disorders, but I SUCK at dieting! I can never stick to any food plan, I just want to eat what I want, when I want to. So I relied on my band for Portion Control and did my very best but didnt beat myself up. I dont journal, I dont do any of that.

Where my strength is is exercise. I was already fairly athletic and had some fitness, and i really put in 150% on the exercise side of the equation. It made up for my less spectacular eating efforts. Its how I continue to manage my weight.

Success isnt necessary 3 lb per week or 50lb in 4 months you know, it might only be 2lb per month but weight gone is weight gone and over time, you will become a new person.

I recommend a food log, write down EVERYTHING you are putting in your mouth this way you won't be fooling yourself about how much you did or didn't eat. For me, just having to write it down help from the very begining.

Have you considered joining on of the challenges?? Make yourself a REALSTIC goal and then join the challenge, I know sometimes it helps to just have a sense of being accountable to someone else.

It kinda sounds to me like that "new band feeling" has worn off. Focus on what got you to the surgeon's office to begin with.

And you are obviously ready to do something about it, or you wouldn't have posted here to begin with. You may have to suffer some to get back on track....go buy yourself something sexy and hang it up where you HAVE to look at it EVERYDAY...and then when you feel like cheating or sitting on the couch or your just damn tired of suffering take a look at your sexy outfit...or better yet try it on and see how close you are to actually being able to wear it in public.

Good luck...it sounds like you are walking up the mountain right now try to remember the view is worth it!

~Monica

Thank you so much for your advice. I agree that writing things down would definitely help. I'm hoping that tomorrow's fill is going to kick my butt into compliance but I guess that's a lot to ask for! (-: I'm in Houston too (Spring actually). We actually started very similarly but you've passed me way up on the weight loss - congrats on that!!! Kathi

I was banded in November and have had four fills. I don't think I'm at the point I need to be (fill-wise) and am having another fill tomorrow. I'd be lying if that the only thing I could use as an excuse though. I am just not doing this right!! I need to "re-start" from step 1 and need to get my head in to this. I t hink I would be so much more successful if I actually "worked the program." Has anyone been here??? I am so mad at myself for not doing the right thing. Anyone's advice is appreciated!!! (Please don't take this as an invitation to be nasty, I know this is all on me!)

I think getting a fill is a perfect time for getting back on track because you have to go on liquids for at least 24 hours. You will probably be quite restricted (hopefully) the days following so why don't you try to stay on Protein Shakes for several days and see if that jump starts your weight loss and gets you going again. Just an idea!!

That you for the encouragement. I will keep my focus on what got me to the surgeons office in the first place and continue to just FOCUS on doing the right thing--especially making better choices.

I'm happy to be your cheerleader or weightloss police (whichever you need) anytime!!! It really helps when there is someone you can talk to along this journey. While we are all going to have our own unquie experiences we can all also relate to how other bandsters feel.

As far as writing down what you eat I would recommend using an online source because it will track cal/fat/prot/carbs and I think it helps if you see the whole picture that way you know if something is lacking or you are going overboard in some areas.

If you ever need someone to talk to, vent to, or Celebrate with I'm always here send me a message and I will send you my yahoo messenger if you wanna talk.

I hope everything goes great at todays fill Kathi...might be a good time to look at the 5 day pouch test too (that might be a really great way to get you back on track).

Hugs ~Monica

I had the same issue last month. I was banded Dec 08' hit a plateau and then it was downhill from there. The one thing that I had to remind myself is that this is journey and a learning process. I have come up with several mottos at different stages of this whole process. The first one was during pre-surgery diet and the 6wk period after surgery.............."A hunger pain has never killed anyone." The second one came along with daily, hourly, or minute to minute battles with my cravings or food desires..........."This is why they say weight loss is hard." or " This is why it's called a weightloss battle." Then I decide in that very moment if I want to win this battle. Sounds corny but it helps. The third one I came up with the other night when my husband fixed a huge pan of cornbread (southern dish with lots of bacon grease), everyone else had eaten and they left half of it on the stove and it was staring really hard at me! Well, as I threw it in the trash I thought........"Better in the trash than on my thighs!!!!" If something is that tempting to me I throw it in the trash..........dont get me wrong I might take 1 bite or 2 first, but that's not a big deal to me. Anyway..........I have started losing again and have regained my confidence.......You can do it girl, dont ever give up on yourself!!!

you know we have all been there and I was banded may of 08 and I just serious with my working in january and I want to smack myself sometimes because I should have been at my goal months ago. but pick yourself up and just get moving u can doo it!

Well CONGRATS! Knowing what you are doing wrong is half the battle. I had a bad month where I wasnt doing what i needed to do to lose weight. i knew that at the time and now i am changing my actions again. I know that I was eating carbs, i know i wasnt workin out, drink Water or even watching what I was eating. I gained 2 lbs for the month. The good thing is I know what I was doing and i know my body well enought to know what I need to change to get back on the wagon. So try to workout more and eat right, its just that easy..or it sounds that way..lol...good luck

I totally recommend logging your food online. I use livestrong.com, it's free for the basic, which is plenty for me.

Like Jacqui, I eat what I want, just in smaller portions and for the most part, it's pretty healthy BUT I stopped logging my food after surgery. I just restarted after being VERY frustrated with bouncing the same 3lbs over the last few months. Guess what? I've been mindlessly snacking. Didn't even realize it! Not hungry when doing it. I have a toddler and every time I'd get her something to eat, I'd grab a handful of whatever on my way thru the kitchen!

The first week, I lost 2lbs. Didn't journal last week, gained 1lb back! I am one who MUST log my food. I'm trying to stay under a certain amount of calories, higher than most but it's also based on my exercise output, and the mindless snacking bonks those calorie levels right out of the park!

It also helps me get my Water in everyday since it asks you to log that too. I lose better when I'm drinking all of my Water. And with the exercise, it's REALLY important.

It's also making me think twice about what I'm about to eat. If I had a calorie loaded lunch, I go lighter at dinner. I also, if I'm at home, decide what I'm going to eat, then log it in BEFORE I eat it! Sometimes it's changed my mind! There have been a couple of things I thought would be a pretty decent choice, only to log it in, see the calorie load [be shocked!] then decide on something different!

I told myself that once I had surgery and got off the post-op diet, that I would NEVER diet again! And I'm not but I AM paying closer attention to how much I'm eating and it's paying off. Making sure I am hungry before eating something. Getting all my water in. Exercising virtually everyday. Etc. AND I'm NOT at my sweet spot. I'm hungry and if I really want something, I eat it but I also log it in, whether it's going to put me "over" or not. You've got to stay honest with yourself, as hard as it is and sometimes ugly, it's most important.

Best wishes!!

Some where I saw a posting about the following website, which says it is for getting back on track :grouphug:

see 5daypouchtest.com.

Days One & Two: liquid Protein

low-carb Protein shakes, broth, clear or cream Soups, sugar-free Gelatin and pudding.

Day 3: Soft Protein

canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy.

Day 4: Firm Protein

ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut.

Day 5: Solid Protein

white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

Edited by fattyfatty2by4