Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have got all my tests done for my lapband the doc called for.But I have a huge problem. I did the sleep apnea test and they said I have moderate sleep apnea. (I dont stop breathing but my oxygen level goes down a bit) well heres the problem everytime I put the cpap on I have a huge panick attack! my heart starts ponding and I feel like Im sufocating and I throw the thing down and start crying I CANNOT DO IT. Ive been depresed the last few days Ive had it and its all I think about. I start to panick. well my ? is is this going to stop me from having surgery? I am self pay so my ins doesnt care.I cant call my docs office untill monday and even then all ill be able to talk to is the nurse

Marmar, see about getting fitted with a different style of headpiece. There are types that just fit in your nostrils and so maybe that style would not give you a panic attack. If you think about it, with all of the thousands of people using cpap machines, you know you aren't the first or only one to experience panic attacks. Your doctor or cpap company will be able to work with you to get a headpiece that feels comfortable for you. Don't worry, you'll be able to get over this hurdle. Good luck.

I'm sorry, but if you get panick attacks from something like this, I fear what having the band is going to be like for you.

YOU ARE going to have serious problems the first time you get stuck and on top of that you go into a panick attack. I think you need to seriously think about if this is really the right surgery for you?

i think its normal, my doc gave me a rx for ambien to rest more comfortably until you get used to it. he told me its normal to feel alittle claustaphobic (excuse the spelling) first time out with the machine. Good news is, after the surgery the apena should go away with weight loss!

I feel like Im sufocating and I dont have panick attacks for anyother reason. Ive tryed all the other masks. when I take the mask off I am gasping for air its the most awful thing in the world. I cant sleep either and I could before. this is a nightmare

OMG Marmar...I had a panic attack in the dr's office when they were just trying the machine on me. I started crying and the poor tech had to go get the Dr. They said it had never happened to them before...I was so embarrassed.

Well anyway they sent me home with 3 different masks because they said I stopped breathing 20 times and I needed to wear it. I stared out sitting up with it on and eased my self into lying down.

I'm still not able to keep the thing on all night yet but I must admit I'm getting better and can now keep it on for a few hours. So just keep trying even if you take it off soon after you put it on. I do notice the longer I keep it on the better I feel in the morning.

Good luck!

What's the big deal - don't use it...

Just like the military -don't ask = don't tell - sent the machine back -

If you don't stop breathing the what's the big deal -

Most pple have to do the sleep study's for insurance purposes - (if your bmi is lower then you have to have 2 co morbities - sleep apnea is one)

I used mine prior to surgery - hated it - after surgery never used it - I too didn't stop breathing - but when I went into a deep sleep my oxg got low they never told me how low

But here's my disclaimer - talk to your doctor - maybe they will give you some xanax...

Edited by IndioGirl55

What's the big deal - don't use it...

Just like the military -don't ask = don't tell - sent the machine back -

If you don't stop breathing the what's the big deal -

Most pple have to do the sleep study's for insurance purposes - (if your bmi is lower then you have to have 2 co morbities - sleep apnea is one)

I used mine prior to surgery - hated it - after surgery never used it - I too didn't stop breathing - but when I went into a deep sleep my oxg got low they never told me how low

But here's my disclaimer - talk to your doctor - maybe they will give you some xanax...

The C-PAP machines are set up to monitor and record its use. So, if the doctor requires it for use before surgery he will know if it is being used. The anesthesiologist usually likes to know if a person has sleep apnea and what type of machine they're on. Some doctors discourage its use right after surgery as it blows too much air into the stomach. I had two separate sleep studies a few years apart and I had a panic attack the first time and my husband had to come and get me in the middle of the night. The second time, I took xanax and was able to use the nasal pillow c-pap at the hospital but not at home. Wasn't a problem for this surgery, though. The pulmonologist read my sleep study report and did a breathing test on me and cleared me for surgery - no cpap required. 50% of those with sleep apnea can't use those machines. So you are not alone. Good luck.

thanks for responding im gonna keep trying and see but ya know I was wondering my cpap cost over $2ooo and ya almost wonder if they tell everyone who takes the sleep tests that they have sleap apnea. how would ya know. I didnt stop breathing once but my oxygen level went down to 80% wouldnt a little ox have been good why a cpap? And also what do I do when I lose weight and dont need it anymore? Can I sell it or give to someone who has no insurance?

The cpap uses postive pressure to open airway. I have partical obstruction . I just got my cpap in march. Had a very difficult time adjusting to the mask. I found I like the nasal pillows better. It took me stwo months to adjust before I got a good nights sleep

The cpap is adjusted to the individual person. If you give it away it would have to be adjusted to that person.

I used the CPAP prior to surgery and in the hospital, then haven't used it since. The doctors require you bring the machine and try to use it in the hospital but they also understand that you are uncomfortable so they kind of look the other way if you don't always use it. I'm sorry to hear you are having panic attacks from it, but can understand why - they are scarey to use! Don't give up, good luck with everything!