Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it harder to lose the second half of your weight

I was band on feb 26 and made it to my half way point about a week ago. I have about 50 more pounds to lose. Everyone keeps telling me that the next fifty will be a lot harder. Just wondering for those banded and in the home stretch is it really harder.

Congrats on your weight loss!! I have not been as successful. I was banded Jan 16th and have only lost 30lbs. I still have about 80lbs to go, so I am hoping that the first half of the weight is the hardest to come off.

Yes, it is, lol.

Well, not harder in that it becomes gruelling or anything.

But I lost about 70lb the first year and 30lb the next. The second year where I lost 30lb, I continued having fills so I was more restricted, thus eating less and had built up to running 10kms at a time.

So I'd gone from very little restriction, able to eat anything and NEVER pbing whilst running 3 or 4kms four or five times a week and losing PLENTY to being much more restricted, having my diet more limited and running 8 to 10kms four or five times a week for a loss of less than 1lb per week for that second year.

What I eat now to maintain woudl have had me losing weight like CRAZY in the first few months. Especially if I'd done as much running!

But I got there in the end, went WAY past goal weight and BMI of 25 right down to a BMI of 22.

Its not harder, but its doenst happen as easily or quickly if that makes sense.

I think it's always harder to lose the closer you get to your goal, even without the band. I too lost weight faster in the first 3-4mos. After that it was 10lbs here and 10lbs there, but I finally lost 100lbs. Now I have been struggling to lose the last 10lbs to reach my goal weight. I guess if I never lose that last 10lbs I would still be happy with where I'm at, but I set my goal and really want to reach it. Ya know?

Good luck to you and don't give up! Joanie :))

Congrats on your weight loss!! I have not been as successful. I was banded Jan 16th and have only lost 30lbs. I still have about 80lbs to go, so I am hoping that the first half of the weight is the hardest to come off.

same here. i thought 30lbs in the first 6 months was awful......but then the next 40+ came off in the 4 following months.

think i have to pay more attention maintaining now that when i was losing weight.....odd.

It seems so I started out at 200 lbs , 5ft 2 in and am down 32 lbs since surgery mid Dec, I have about 35 to go . I keep being told it comes off slower if you are not really really heavy to begin with but is frustrating at times, Ive been losing 4-6 lbs a month for past 2 mths. But goiod news havnt put any back on

Based on my experience, the last 1/2 takes longer to come off. But it is still coming off. I am grateful that I still see weight loss and that I have not gained a pound back in a year. I have always been able to lose weight but could never keep it off. I am loving the lapband!

It really just keeps dropping off so let it go. why worry if it is the first or the last. just let it go.

Based on my experience, the last 1/2 takes longer to come off. But it is still coming off. I am grateful that I still see weight loss and that I have not gained a pound back in a year. I have always been able to lose weight but could never keep it off. I am loving the lapband!

Like you, I have never had a problem losing the weight. It's the keeping it off that has not been my strength. My weight loss has been slow, but I spent the first three months trying to fight my band (eating slider foods) instead of following the rules. Consequently, I have seen more weight loss the past two months than I saw the first three months because I wasn't focused.

We all should be commended for our journey.

I lost pretty steadily but now that I am almost at goal and it has slowed W A Y down - to less than 1 lb. a week now. It does not go up though!

I was told that it will take as long to lose the last 5 lbs. as it did to lose the first 50, and I think that may be true so I'm not going to sweat it! My health has returned, I am not on any medications anymore, I can (and do) run and work out almost every day, and "goal" is just a number on a scale - I have accomplished more than I ever imagined possible!

Besides, if they would cut off my extra skin for me, I would already be at the goal on their freakin' chart, LOL!!

post-247906-13813139013397_thumb.png