Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My stitches are sticking out!!!

Yikes! :wink: My internal stitches from the incision on my port area are sticking out a little bit at the end. I didn't realize this until all the scabbing had fallen off, i.e, last night. There are two tiny clear threads sticking out. I know it won't hurt me, but how gross is that?! I go back to the surgeon soon, so I'll show him then.

If you were wondering what your internal stitches looked like, think of clear fishing line. :)

If they are really irritating you put a peice of medical tape over the area until you see your doc. I just had my bandages/steristrips removed, he was AMAZED at how I healed, 1 of my incisions is infected, like I suspected, but I just have to put bacistraticin on them for a while.

Thankfully, it's not irritating me at all. I've been putting antibiotic ointment on mine twice a day as well. :)

I would give a call anyway for safety sake.

Mine are still covered by steristrips. I have 5? Seemed like more than I thought it would be. The 2 bigger ones are still pretty sensitive I think one of them is the port but forgot to ask when I was at the hospital. I will know for sure on Tuesday lol.

Thanks, Sarahbellzz. I just e-mailed the surgeon's nurse to be on the safe side. I can't really talk privately at work.

hey Ann... Mine are too. Bacitracin will help heal quicker. keep them nice an coated. thats what my nurse told me.

I had some sticking out too. One I actually pulled out myself because it was after my first surgery and more than 5 weeks had gone by. It was all dissolved and just sitting there in its little hole.

The other two were left over from my 3rd surgery and were very long. They were very firmly in place so at my first fill the doc pulled them out.

It is best to leave them alone and they should dissolve. If they don't have your doc pull them out at your next appointment. It is normal to have stitches sticking out after surgery. It happens.