Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Large band vs regular band???

Guest Kevin250

Guest Kevin250

Hi All,

This is my first post on the topic. I have had a very successful procedure (July 7) and now in early Sept, I am still not exactly where I want to be in the fill process but I have another appt. scheduled for next week and I think that will do it. Reason being is that they used the newer larger band on me. Don't know much about it, but I am told it is considerably larger than the normal band most lap band people have? I have 4.5cc in there now and I still have quite abit of freedom in my eating style....which does NOT help me much in the diet process! Thankfully I have followed a Protein high diet and that has allowed me at least 2 lbs a week loss....but I know I could lose much more if my quantity of food could decrease. So now I consider myself on a typical diet and I can't wait to get away from that! What I am doing now, I could have done without my $30,000 lap band! But I know the drs. will get a grip on it soon. They told me they only add a little at a time to prevent difficulties. Based on where I am at now, I think one more small fill will take care of the issue. Any thoughts....? Anyone else have the larger band?

Take care and good physical health everyone!!!

- Kevin

Kevin, Good Attitude, and you are right on, it takes sometime 5cc's to 6 cc's with the larger band to get to the level of restriction where it feels right. Many here who have the larger band have stated just that. My friend who has the larger band he had 3.5 cc's his first fill and had 2 cc's his 2nd fill and now is just right. There are several people here who have the VG band, you can do a search at the top of the page justtype in VG band and alot of threads will come up on the topic. Best of luck to you :)

Guest Kevin250

THANKS! I just took some time to look at those threads you suggested and they are great! I learned a lot and felt that all-in-all I should look at my situation as going REAL good. I have to go in again next Monday for another fill and I am thinking that will really help...it will take me to somewhere around 6-7cc and that should really help. I guess the 28lbs I dropped since July 7 was me dieting...and I look forward to the band kinda taking me the rest of the way! My goal is another 90lbs!

Thanks again! This site is so AWESOME! I've learned so much! ...I'll keep reading!

Hi Kevin,

I too have the large band (banded 8/02/05). I found that I never had problems eating foods and continued to feel hungry. After my first fill (total of 5ccs) I still had no restrictions and was hungry every three hours -- which led me to test the waters. I even went so far as to order Dominos (medium) thin and crispy cheese pizza -- ate the whole thing in two meals. That was my panic point and I called the Dr's office and said I needed a fill right away. I went yesterday 9/14/05 for my second fill (lost 17 lbs total) -- whoopee ;-( . I'm up to 7cc now and I hope it restricts better than the five. This should be my "sweet spot" the Dr. likes to call it and will begin to feel restricted and not hungry. He did say that he had one patient up to 9ccs which was pretty scary. Sometimes, I wish I had the smaller band. What about you?

I too wish I had smaller band. I am at 6cc with fills and going again this afternoon for what I hope to be the restricting fill. I can eat anything--even steak, with no problems. I am eating less, but not due to the band, due to the fact I am afraid to push it, but even with eating less, it is still waaaaayy to much. I also fear that when I do lose the weight that i need to, my stomach will be smaller and the band will be too large. That will be interesting to find out.

I have the smaller band and find it very, very sensitive. I was filled to 2cc of 4cc band, after spending 4 months at 1.75, which was probably my sweetest spot so far. I had very few pb's or slimes, since getting filled back up to 2 again, it's been slow go, but the doctor said after 4 months he felt it needed to be "tweaked".

My doctor explained it doesn't have anything to do with your amount of weight to lose, but more so about the size of your insides.

Guest Kevin250

I agree Pat...in fact I am personally OK with the larger band as I hope that maybe a year or two down the road when I am totally use to a new eating style, etc., the band may be loosened and I can go back to normal eating habits (obvisously not the quanitity that got me here in the first place but being able to eat all kinds of normal foods in respect to quanitity of course. Any thoughts on that???

I'm 8cc with room for another 3 cc if I need it. I got 4 cc the first time and 2 cc each after that. I think 1 cc from here on if needed. I have some problems with bread but everything else is ok. I will need 1 cc or 2 IMO.

I have 9.6mls in my VG band. I had NO restriction till it reached about 7.5mls. It gets to a stage where you will get restriction, its just different for everyone. i wish i could have found restriction on a less amount so I had some to play with, but *sigh* cant have everything.