Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon is too soon for real food?

I was banded on 5/14/09 and have not had any digestive problems with anything, whatsoever. Other than the hunger, I feel the same as before. I was sooo hungry that I started eating soft foods (eggs, cottage cheese, and yogurt) last week. While I have not had any pain or nausea from this, could I still be doing harm to myself and just not know it by eating more solid foods earlier than my surgeon advised? I need advice from all of you more experienced bandsters!

I was only banded on 5/21/09, but from my understanding, eating soft foods too soon could cause an internal stitch that holds the band in place and tear. Which can lead to band slippage down the road, maybe even years, from the band not healing in the right place. Now keep in mind, that does not happen to everyone who has cheated, but it is a possibility. Good luck! and I feel your hunger pains! Today I get to advance to mushie foods, but am waiting until dinner. Half a baked potatoe and broccoli cheese soup!

If you are hungry and just not getting satisfied you should call your doctor and speak to someone. If they give you the green light to advance your diet then so be it.

In my opinion it's NOT a good idea to advance your diet just because you think you are ready for something more. And it is true that you can cause damage that might not show for months or even years down the line.

I'm not trying to use a "scared straight" tactic here, but the bottom line is you should be following your surgeons guidelines, if you feel like it's not enough for you then your best bet is to speak to someone in your surgeons office and let them be your guide.

I know this is hard, that's why it's called Bandster Hell....but you can do this and you are better off reminding yourself this is a very short time period in your journey to a healthy new you.

Good luck and stay strong!

~Monica

I was on liquids for 10 days. Then moved to mushy for a week. Then mushy with "real" food added slowly over the next week. It doesn't sound like you've rushed yourself, but it's probably too soon to move to "real" food.

I was only banded on 5/21/09, but from my understanding, eating soft foods too soon could cause an internal stitch that holds the band in place and tear. Which can lead to band slippage down the road, maybe even years, from the band not healing in the right place. Now keep in mind, that does not happen to everyone who has cheated, but it is a possibility. Good luck! and I feel your hunger pains! Today I get to advance to mushie foods, but am waiting until dinner. Half a baked potatoe and broccoli cheese soup!

Wow, you're lucky. I was banded 5/22 and per the doctor's orders, have 8 more days before I can move to mushy foods. Tomorrow I get to incorporate thicker liquids to the Clear Liquids I have been on.

It's odd how every surgeon has a different set of rules. I can see why people would start to venture out on their own.

Have you had your post-op appointment?

I was banded on 04/23/09 and at my 1 week appointment, my surgeon allowed me to go to mushy food. I'm not sure if this was a good thing... because that meant I was on mushy foods for 3 weeks... instead of 2... I became very inventive with what I considered "mushy foods".

Last week I went to real food. YEAH! but at the same time, you have to be careful, because even without a fill, I still get "blocked". bread is a BIG no-no. Being blocked is very painful and something you really want to avoid.

p

First, thanks for all of your replies - I promise to be good and follow dr.'s orders. I agree with the previous post, though. It seems like the prescribed diets are all over the board. I guess I am just one of those people that needs to know why, as opposed to blindly following orders.

I was the same way. I was supposed to do the liquid diet for 14 days instead I only did 10 days and then the mushy stage for another 14 days after that but I only lasted 10 days. Just be careful and don't eat too much at once since you are still healing.

Yes, the surgeon diets are very different. I was only on liquids for three days post op, then on pureed for four days after that, now I am on "soft foods." I had some pizza toppings for lunch today and I am definitely full just from one slice! I had tomatoes and mushrooms and mozzarella cheese, very good! I am on soft foods until I'm a month out from surgery.

My diet seems to be VERY different from everyone else's. It worries me a little bit.

I was only on liquids until my third day post-op, at which point I was told I could start eating soft foods like yogurt, scrambled eggs, refried Beans, Soups, etc. Then I was instructed to ease back into a normal diet 7-14 days post-op, which I've been doing. I've had no issues.

Weird??

All of your diets sound better than mine!! I was banded on May 19th, Clear Liquids for 3 days then full liquids like strained Soup, pudding, and so on for 5 weeks. Get to try to start solids on June 27. Wow it is hard but worth it.

5 weeks! jesus!

I'd been on solid foods for two weeks and had already had my first fill at 5 weeks.

more power to ya

I was on liquids for two weeks, but the first three days of those two weeks I was on clear liquids, then moved on to full liquids for the remainder of the two weeks. Then mushies for a week, then soft (a step up from mushy) foods for another week. Then I was told to gradually add in regular foods.

Similar to others.. (and I was just banded yesterday), I'm on clear liquids for a week, then full liquids, then mushy/soft, and then starting with some foods.

I'm going to be way more careful following post-op than I even was on pre-op. I don't want the band to slip, I don't want food to get caught and cause vomiting. It's only been 1 day so if I get caught up in desperation later, remind me of this, OK? LOL

I was banded on the 27th and was told for the next two days do clear liquids but after that to stick with full liquids...SF puddings...soups...I go for my one week on Weds...sure there are times when I get hungry but I remind myself how much I paid for this new beginning and I quickly remember to stick to the Dr.'s orders...lol

Edited by Bean1980
needed to finish