Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens to band when goal weight reached!

Hi everyone

My name is Samantha, I live near Manchester, England and I am having a gastric band fitted on the 15th September '09 by Dr Chris De Bruyne, in Vilvoorde, Brusels.

Can any one tell me what happens to the band when you have reached your goal weight?

Surely if it gets taken out your appetite will return along with the weight!

Do they then leave it in, fi so for how long?

I look forward to any help anyone can give.

Thanks guys :thumbup:

my doc indicated to me band will stay in for as long as it will, and no unfill at goal weight. he indicated to maintain my weight and not continue to lose I can eat Pasta and breads with my meals to maintain going forward. Your right tho if you remove it all the hunger returns and u up your cals most likely will gain the weight back. but im sure there are people out there who had it removed and didnt gain weight. I plan to keep mine forever :thumbup:

All the doctors I've spoken to about this said it's a permanent solution. When it goes in, unless there are complications, it stays in for life.

The band stays in. I reached goal and kept losing and then got dangerously low... so I think I can advise you on this subject.

When I reached goal I was on a roll so I went down another 10 pounds. But then I kept loosing. I ate alright but didn't 'overeat' or binge like before.

Went in for an adjustment with a little bit of Fluid taken out.

Things happend w/ life stressors that caused GI issues for me and I regurgitated daily. I went in and had the remaining Fluid removed.

I gained a few pounds to a good, healthy 130 pounds. But after eating Subway and Taco Bell in the same day I gained 3 pounds. 2 days later of good eating, I am 130 again.

So, once you reach goal. You are good to go unless you have unwanted weightloss. In that case you get an adjustment.

If you ever gain or keep losing...you can go for an adjustment at any time- for the rest of your life.

This is the first time ever that I lost weight and do not have a fear of gaining it back (yo-yo)...because I have a tool to impliment if needed.

What they said! It's there for life. Most who have it removed (for whatever reason) regain. (at least that's what I've heard and read; I don't know anyone personally who had it removed)

Thanks guys

That makes a lot of sense, I'm really excited about being banded and can't wait to have it done.

My Dr has suggested that I may be able to have it done on the NHS for free in England, but it would mean seeing a dietician & being put on a diet at first! Blimey, I could tell the dietician what to do standing on my head. As with you all I've tried everything ever diet, pill and potion ever invented!!!!

So I'm going private and having it done abroad as its half the cost than it is in England!

Will keep in touch with everyone and let you know how i go on :thumbup:

I don't know about your great country, but over here it's often a challenge to find a place to get fills if you get the band away from your home area (either 100 miles away or the next country) so make sure you have aftercare lined up! Good luck!

Thanks RestlessMonkey

Did much research on the surgen before booking, he comes to England every 6 weeks for infills, about 12 miles away from were I live. I have spoken to several people in England who have been banded by him, he has a thread on this web site and they all give him good feedback so fingers crossed! :-/

Great! :thumbup: (how smart you are! I would've never thought of that before I got the band! You are really prepared!) I know you'll have wonderful band success!