Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water making you nauseous?

I am 7 days postbanding. I was fine until yesterday when horrible nausea kicked in. And, the thought of having to drink more Water literally made my stomach turn. I know my body. If I didn't get something significant in my stomach I was going to start puking. I ate just a few tablespoons of oatmeal and the nausea subsided significantly. Anyone else experience nausea from having to drink so much freaking water?

And postop diet? What are the different diets for 7 days postop? I have heard still only liquids, mushies, and above. I think a lot of my nausea yesterday was because for the first time I was actually HUNGRY! :thumbup:

My post op diet was as follows: Day 1-3 post op was Clear Liquids, Day 4-8 was pureed food, and Day 8 -month out from surgery is soft food.

Not everyone has the same type of post op plan to follow...I am now on soft foods and feel great. Lost 13 pounds in the first week after banding!

i don't think eating a few spoonfuls of oatmeal is going to hurt you...especially if it will keep you from vomiting, which could cause your new band to slip.

13 pounds already!! Good for you! I am allowed pudding, cream of wheat, Egg Beaters, etc. from day 2 through 14, then on to wheat toast, boiled eggs, tuna with mayo, etc. By week 4 I will be eating solids. I know vomiting could cause more problems than eating a few tablespoons of oatmeal and luckily it did the trick.

Are you exercising, too, Bethany? You go girl!!

I would suggest sticking to whatever diet you were given . . . if you are already approved for mushies then you are fine, it not I would avoid it.

Many of us have different diets in the beginning based on our doctors recommendations and what may be OK for one person may not be OK for another. If you are not approved to move on yet but feel that it would help, give your doctor a ring and see if they will approve progressing a little quicker.

I was also nauseous with Water. I know for certain it was the Water doing it and it did go away once I was out a few weeks post surgery. I found an over-the-counter anti nausea medicine called Nauzene that was sold at Wal-mart and also my local grocery store. It is chewable, cherry flavored and kind of like a big Tums and is band friendly. It worked great to get me through the tail end of my liquid diet.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

MsGulfCoast, I haven't started exercising yet but plan to in a few weeks, maybe when my incisions are more healed.

Sounds like a lot of people have a much more specific food plan to follow than my surgeon gives out...but so far so good so I won't complain! I think the trick will be not to succumb to eating mostly carb-filled options on the soft food phase...still try to get in plenty of Protein. I was tempted to have mac and cheese the other night...but was able to make a better choice in the end!

Call your doc. It's important to follow the post op diet...no one likes it (at least no one I know! LOL) but we do it because we have to, to heal. Your doc may give you the green light to eat or he may give you a nausea med, but don't just do this on your own. Peristalsis (digestion) can cause your stitches to rip or loosen and you may not know you've hurt yourself until on down the road. I know you don't want that; let your doc decide if it's safe for you to eat or no.

I'm 4 months out and still get nauseous if I drink too much plain Water. It makes me feel like a water balloon. I try to switch it up between plain water, minute maid light products, crystal light, propel, and low cal G2 (not always the best choice).