Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Central Ohio Get Lapband Sharing - June 13, 2009

The invitation is open to all! Whether you are pre-band, newly banded or an old band pro.

Everyone is welcome!

Where: Polaris Mall food Court

When: Saturday June 13, 2009

Time: 2 p.m.

Look for us near the entrance to the Great Indoors store in the back corner seating area next to Chik-Fil-A. If we're not there look for a large group of folks sitting at several tables pushed together in the areas on either side of the Great Indoors... that's usually us :-)

We usually bring a helium balloon to mark where we are meeting and please feel free to bring a friend, spouse, or support person along with you on your first visit if that will help you feel comfortable joining our group.

Hope to see you there!

I might try to make this one. I just asked about it, replying to a PM you sent me earlier. I'm in the mood to brag today, so I'll mention if I do come, it will be after running a 5K in Springfield in the morning. :thumbup: How many people typically show up?

PS, yesterday was my dentist appointment to fix the crowns that OSU broke. It took a couple of months and some implied threats to get them to cough up the money (around $1000) for the dental work)

That said, the Ohio State Bariatric Surgery program and Dr Mikami were great.

Edited by BillOh

If I can drag the kiddo away from the pool I'll do my best to be at this one. I'll actually be in town! :crying:

Brag all you want about that 5K Bill. That's completely bragworthy! What a great accomplishment!

Oh, yea, this will be the last day of my 40's :thumbup:

Bill, we welcome a newcomer anytime. We have a varied number each month depending on what's keeping people busy but generally there is about 4-5 ladies and 1 gentleman pretty consistently. Some months we have had as many as 10-15 and we keep sharing that there is this opportunity so if we can get to a consistent size of 10 or so that would be great. We especially need someone to keep Patrick (a self-pay guy who is doing great) company! We have a mix of those who are pre-band and post-band but we're actually getting more of us over a year plus out from banding and some of us are over the +100 lbs mark or are well past losing 50% of our excess weight toward our goal.

Last June, I put a challenge out to those who had lost weight at that time that I knew of the food Bank in Westerville - called WARM - that needs food donations in June especially due to so many children get out of school and no longer have a Breakfast or subsidized lunch so parents can especially use grocery help for the summer. I had lost about 40 lbs at that point so I donated 40 lbs of sugar and was shocked at how heavy that amount was to lift. Couldn't remember how I had done that going up and down steps and carrying that 40 lbs all the time. Duh!! Anyway, they are collecting again this June and if anyone wants to bring food pantry or non-perishables donations along to the Saturday lapband gathering at the mall, I will gladly coordinate taking them to my church as one of the drop off points. If you have bags or box of items you want me to get when we are done meeting, I can drive my car to where you are parked. Just let me know.

Okay, so how the heck can I Celebrate my -110 lbs gone forever milestone as of this a.m.?

If we're not there look for a large group of folks

I've read this several times, and only this morning it ocurred to me, is that a large number of folks, or a number of large folks?:party:

I can poke fun since I'm one of you right?:thumbup:

BillOH -- you're too funny! Yes, it is easier to laugh at ourselves when we are in the stages of doing something positive to change our lives. The first time we did a gathering at the mall, I didn't want to say look anything indelicate to offend anyone so I suggested we all wear something pink and I'd have a helium balloon to help us find each other! It worked!

Now we have a specific corner we sit in so that makes it easier to find us too.

This is looking to be a busy weekend. I just found out we will be dog sitting while my daughter and her fiance come into town for their pre-cana training, they are getting married next year. I'll try to sneak away for awhile. I would have loved to bring my wife, she is a poster child for gastric bypass success, but she can sure relate to dealing with a lap band patient, and together we make our own support group. Friday is a golf/MRI/5K run day and Sunday is my 50th birthday.

I'm planning on coming again. It's been months because of this and that, but I'm trying to get my act together again.

And as for "a group of large people"/ "a large group of people", I'm the one that went up to a lost looking large person and said, "Were you looking for a group of lap banders?" Fortunately he was, but if not, he should have.

Susan

Seebs

I am a pre-band and would LOVE to meet people that have already gone through the journey. I will definitely try to make it there --- It's so encouraging to see so much support and encouragement from complete strangers. I feel so much better about this surgery. THANKS!!!!

My friend keeps saying she would want to talk to people who actually had the procedure done, so I will see if I can drag her along with me. Her husband is against the surgery, but she will probably definitely talk him down, once I start shedding my weight. :blushing:

I look forward to meeting everyone.

It's tough when the spouse doesn't support your having the surgery. I know ... I've heard it all: "You don't need surgery ... you can lose it on your own ... ". I did lose 60 pounds a few years ago ... but then gained it back - and then some. She's still not very supportive, even after my success in losing weight, but I don't regret having it done. And I really appreciate having support from the bandsters on this forum. Meanwhile, she continues to keep eating more, gaining more, and "saying" she needs to lose weight but not doing anything about it. But me ... I just keep my mouth shut. :blushing:

It's tough when the spouse doesn't support your having the surgery. I know ... I've heard it all: "You don't need surgery ... you can lose it on your own ... ". I did lose 60 pounds a few years ago ... but then gained it back - and then some. She's still not very supportive, even after my success in losing weight, but I don't regret having it done. And I really appreciate having support from the bandsters on this forum. Meanwhile, she continues to keep eating more, gaining more, and "saying" she needs to lose weight but not doing anything about it. But me ... I just keep my mouth shut. :thumbup:

I certainly agree. My wife asked me how I felt before she did, and I was supportive and understanding and she more than repayed that when I decided to as well. We have been great for each other.