Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow & steady, but I want it RIGHT NOW!

I've been struggling with something that I know is common with bandsters. Wanting faster weight loss. At times I'm like -big whoop I lost 2 lbs this week. But then other times, I feel on top of the world for my continued weight loss. It's like I'm living a cartoon with the positive sweet Angel on one shoulder and the negative cynical Devil on the other. I try to be postive but then I see pictures of me currently and I'm ready to cry because I'm still sooo huge. Though where would I be if I hadn't started losing?!

I think you are doing good. You have lost 33 lbs already. May be right now you are losing inches instead of lbs. Have you had a fill yet? If so, do you have any restriction? I just got a fill last week; however, it was restricted for 3-4 days but now I feell as if I don't have a band again. Hang in there, we will reach the sweet spot soon :-)

I have felt the same, but i look at my pics from before and i do see a big difference..i have lost 50 since my surgery in feb.. I really wanted to be so much smaller by summer, but i am now looking at the over all view, what i will look like in a year from now..i have lost 2 pants sizes and 3 blouse sizes. So that makes me feel better. It is harder with the band because you do need self control, and my family helps with that. Also the older you are the harder it is as well, i am 60..i dont look it and i dont feel it..but my body is still 60 no matter what..

Hang in there and it will all work for you.

Good luck..texas rose

I've been struggling with something that I know is common with bandsters. Wanting faster weight loss. At times I'm like -big whoop I lost 2 lbs this week. But then other times, I feel on top of the world for my continued weight loss. It's like I'm living a cartoon with the positive sweet Angel on one shoulder and the negative cynical Devil on the other. I try to be postive but then I see pictures of me currently and I'm ready to cry because I'm still sooo huge. Though where would I be if I hadn't started losing?!

Oh Honey! I so understand where you are!!! We just went on vacation and I saw the pictures. I haven't lost 33 pounds, but I have lost a little weight (about 15). I'm just so darned down on myself for not losing more. But, I promised I would remind myself that I took this route on purpose. My friends are supposed to remind me too (including my doc). I want it to be FOREVER! I don't want to lose 50 pounds in four months, only to regain it (and then some) in three months (believe me, I have done that before). I want this to be for LIFE! I also told myself after seeing those pictures, "ok, well, we will compare them to pictures I take on our vacation next year." Hopefully there will be a difference. Don't get me wrong, I was really feeling ugly for a while. I turned to my S.O. for support and thats when I figured out that my clothes were fitting looser and that I could fit into an old pair of shorts that were a size 16! A little snug, but okay to wear!

Hang in there. 33 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. I bet you look great! Keep us posted. <<<<Hugs>>>>

Thanks everyone for your responses and for letting me vent. I am very proud of the 33 lbs. I just needed to share my thoughts. I had just got done posting about an NSV. Then I went on Facebook and saw pictures from a week ago. I guess when I saw the pictures this morning I expected to notice a difference. But unfortunately they had the opposite effect. It really deflated me in a matter of minutes I left the positive side and jumped over to negative. But the very positive thing is that I didn't go eat, I came here and shared my feelings. For that I'm patting myself on the back. Thanks again for the support, I'm so glad to have this forum to come to receive and give support.

i understand your frustration and am right there with you... i was "only" 213 to begin with and i'm very muscular so the weight is very slow in coming off with me too.

I talk to another woman who had the surgery the week before me and she's lost almost 50 lbs or so and i'm still around 15-20 lbs total lose (including pre op diet).

i get frustrated and have RNY envy all the time, but i just have to keep hoping that once i get my fills, and hit my sweet spot, that I will lose 2lbs a week. My nutritionist said that i may only lose 1/2lb a week... that's REALLY frustrating.

i struggle with that realization and it's hard for me to do good cuz i'm not seeing much of anything either.

But we just have to keep looking towards the future and hope that soon we'll be at our sweet spots and we'll see the results we want.

it's like a pregnant person, those 9 months may feel like forever but once that baby is born, they realize how quickly it went... it will be that way with our weight loss too... in 52 weeks, we'll look back and be amazed at how quickly the time went!

myturn

You are doing great. I understand you rfeelings vry much remember I had that really bad post fill diet well it's not sticking I'm not doing bad but I had to have some food. Anyway I'm feeling very disappointed in myself and eve went up a couple pounds but the Clear liquids and Protein drink thing didn't work on the road this weekend. I added a few Soups and soft foods probably more than I should have. sorry this in turning into a confession not an encouragement.

Take the small victories on the road to the big prize. Yesterday on the way home from my mom's we stopped at a gas station with a food resturant attached and I sat in one of the booths there and realized that 2 months age I couldn't sit in one of them these are the things we need to grasp as we move forward. We are in the same boat and will see the shore again hang in there.

'Slow and Steady' is the low BMI'ers mantra (I'm currently at a 31.5 BMI)...we just lose it slowly, period...and all the high BMI'ers will be a low BMIer/slow loser someday, so comparing yourself to others is just hard. If I can get that 1.5-2 # per week they advertise I'll be thrilled to keep that going.

I've lost huge amounts of weight quickly on many diets...yep, it's motivating, but even more motivating is the fact that I can tell myself even if I only lose 2 pounds a week THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'LL EVER SEE THOSE 2 POUNDS!!!

I've found that setting realistic long term and mini goals is motivating me. I've given myself 2 years to lose all the weight and have set mini goals as I go along...ones that are acheivable given my amount of fill and where I am in this process. We'll get there...it's not a race, it's a lifestyle!

in 52 weeks, we'll look back and be amazed at how quickly the time went!
THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'LL EVER SEE THOSE 2 POUNDS!!!

We'll get there...it's not a race, it's a lifestyle!

I love these!!

Thanks guys xx

I'm with you. There's days when I'm like 'holy cow I've lost so much in a short time!' and then there's day when I'm annoyed because I don't see the scale moving or any real difference. I'm down 27, including pre-op, and I'm very happy about that. I think I'll be more inclined to not stress about how fast/slow things are going once I'm out of the 200s. It's been so long since I've been there. I just want to get rid of as much before my trip in a few weeks. At the very least these last 3 pounds so I can say I've lost 30!

We'll get there! It's not a race and losing slow and steady is healthier anyway.

My Doctor warned my so many times, but to actually live it (slow weight loss) is frustrating. I want it now, but I'm learning how to eat and modify my diet and all that good stuff. When I went for surgery April 17th the nurse weighed my then wrote it down on a slip and turned it up to me and said real adamant, "look at that weight" and before I can feel an emotion, she said it's the last time you will weigh this. So I pinned that up in my bedroom and when I feel discouraged, I look at that and know if I do what I'm supposed to do, I will never weigh that God awful weight again. Step by step! Inch by inch...

Just had to share this because it certainly helped me with this issue. The scale, even after my fill now, keeps hovering around a certain number, sometimes up a pound and sometime down. Well this morning I decided to try on an old pair of jeans. I was wearing a 22 and found ones that were an 18. Figured I'd just see how close I was to fitting in the, totally expecting them to be to small.

THEY FIT! A tiny bit snug in the waist near the button but not by much and everywhere else is perfect. I was so excited and really needed that boost this morning. So keep trying on old clothes, measure the inches you're losing, because while the scale may be a source of annoyance, inches can sure make you feel great!

Love all the stories and support! THANK YOU very much!:frown: