Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band plugged with mucus (sorry TMI)

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, but almost two years out with the Lap band. It has worked really, really well for me and so far I have lost 78 lbs. and I have about 30 left to go (I have been plateaued for over a year- grrr!).

Anyhoo, I have had a sinus infection for the past week and a half after having the flu and I have noticed that for the last week or so I have had a hard time keeping ANYTHING down, even fluids. It's like my band it too tight or everything is getting stuck. I think it is from having so much mucus and goo running down my throat that it is plugging up the band?? Almost everything is coming back up, even Water, juice, milk, Protein Drinks, etc. I am almost back on a clear diet and it is very frustrating. I am on antibiotics, Sudafed, Claritin and the band problem isn't getting better...

Has anyone else every experienced this? I have even sunk to having a glass of wine tonight hoping that the alcohol would relax the esophagus enough that I could get some Soup down, but about half a glass down and it came back up.

I would hate to take the trouble to go all the way into my doc and get loosened, pay the big co-pay to have it go away in a couple days, then have to back and get tightened again, but I have hardly eaten anything in days. I. Am.SO.Hungry.

Help! I am getting desperate and I am miserable. Anyone have any experience with that and have any good ideas??

Thanks in advance!!:lol:

I had a very similar problem. I had the stomach flu and it lasted for more days than it should have. I went to my doctor because I was getting dehydrated and weak. I couldn't keep Water or Protein Shakes down. I called my bariatric doctor and she said that my band was probably traumatized from the stomach flu (I threw up more than I have thrown up in my entire life). She had to do an unfill of 1 cc from my band. I ended up meeting her at the hospital because I didn't think I could make it to the Monday appointment we originally made. I met her in the emergency room and she did the unfill. I felt immediate relief and she had me drink some water to make sure it would go through. Call your doctor. Maybe they could meet you at the office or at the emergency room. It really helped me. Please let me know how you are doing. I know how awful it feels not to keep Fluid down. My saliva was even collecting in my pouch and coming up. This is not how the band works. You can always get a fill later when you are not sick.

Hi RF,

I remember my MD saying if I had a sinus infection or the flu he would "unfill" the band a little. I would call your MD. You need to be able to tolerate fluids. Hope you feel better soon.

Hate to say it but you probably need to suck it up and get a small unfill.

Same thing happened to me when I was sick. I was draining so much that that was all I was filled up on. Gross, I know. BUT what also helped, first thing in the AM was a HOT cup of tea with a little honey in it. That kind of broke up the overnight stuff and got things loose enough for me to be able to eat a little.

I wasn't getting any better so I went and got a slight unfill and it helped a bunch. I got tired of getting stuck all the time so it ended up working better for me that way. It had gotten to the point that I needed the hot tea before I would even try to eat.

You really don't want to be PB'ing a lot. That will irritate everything and make it all worse with the swelling. Be careful.

Take care and I sure hope you feel better soon! I was sick for pretty much all of February and March and in to April so I know what you're going thru!

Take care!

i got sick a few weeks ago and had almost the same thing happen. i was reslly congested same as you are. i tried the mucinex and it helped.but id also thrown up so much i was swollen so i had to do liquids for a day or so to let my stomach rest. between the 2 things got much better for me. make sure you buy plenty of mucinex cuz the congestion from being ssick can last quite a bit longer than the time you actually fewll sick. i got sick amost 2 weeks ago and im still congested . oh and mucinex is pretty expensivw but the generics are alot cheaper than the name brand and they work every bit as well. hope you feel better soon

Hi everyone,

I hadn't thought of the Mucinex, I have only been sticking with the Claritin and Sudafed. I'll try that and call my doc. Sigh. I did take all your advice last night and drink some *very* hot tea and that seemed to help YEA!:lol: I was able to get some homemade chicken noodle Soup down (mostly the broth and a little veggies, but I didn't care!).

I'll have to get this issue figured out though, since I do suffer from chronic sinus infections and seem to have a lot more goo down the back of my throat more often than the normal person.

I also have been trying to break myself of the "habit" of weighing myself a lot since that only seems to dsicourage myself while I am on my plateau, but I did last night and I have lost 5 lbs! Not good. I am sure most of it is Water weight, but regardless, this isn't the way to do it...lose 5 lbs in one week is pretty fast and bascially starving isn't how I like doing it.

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it! I like this board and I am going to stay with it, so **HI** :sad:.

SO glad you were able to get some tea and food down! Hooray!

I forgot about Mucinex b/c I've only bought it in pill form. Didn't know it came in liquid form. I'll have to look for it. I've always liked that stuff. It's always worked best for me.

Take care and feel better soon!

Oh and glad you decided to stick around! Welcome!!

I hope you feel better soon. I am glad you decided to post because had I gotten sick (flu, sinus, etc.), I would have known it would effect my band.

I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted!

I am a little confused, mucus can't plug up the band. The band is on the outside of your stomach. It isn't possibe for mucus to get in it. Am I missing something?

I am a little confused, mucus can't plug up the band. The band is on the outside of your stomach. It isn't possibe for mucus to get in it. Am I missing something?

Hi Carrie! No you're not missing anything. It's kind of bad terminology to say the "band" gets plugged up. What we mean is the opening between the pouch and the stomach, at the band placement gets plugged up. Your pouch fills up with mucus and at some point actually gets thick enough and stops draining through to the larger part of the stomach. Especially if you have pretty good restriction. And yes, it's pretty gross. Unfortunately. :smile:

I just got through the snotty stuff too. thank goodness i don't have much in my band so i didn't get stopped up.

something you might try is a nelly pot/ sinus rinse. the snot(yuck) goes out your nose not down your throat.

i have chronic sinus infections and had to go to an ear/nose/throat

doc for help. i had nose surgery and also started allergy shots. the ENT helped.