Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want the good and the bad

I have been really searching for all stories. I find that 99% of all the bandsters are really happy with their decision. However, who is not at all satisfied with their choice? I want to know all and be prepared for the consequences before hand. Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm guessing that you aren't banded yet. I was banded June 9, 2005 and am very happy with my decision, although I never could have anticipated the frustrations beforehand. My doc is very conservative with fills and the fact that you don't have restriction until properly filled can be and does get very frustrating (especially when you haven't lost for four weeks).

I have lost 23 lbs. and haven't been following the bandster rules the past week and a half. I find that I'm getting stuck nearly every day, but don't feel that I'm too tight, just feel that I need to take smaller bites (I do chew slowly). Since I haven't been eating meats as often, I have been eating the wrong things--like pastas that don't fill you up for very long. Even if I don't lose another pound, I am happy with the progress I have made. I have even been able to jog lately. I don't believe I'm through losing weight, I just need to pick myself up, dust myself off and begin the journey with a fresh start. The hardest part of this journey is fighting off the food demons. You know, the ones that hit you when you're NOT hungry, just bored. That's my good and bad--hope it helps.

Tricia H

ok for me the slooooooooooow weight loss I have had is very frustrating-I was banded April 27th and have only lost 35 pounds-I know some will say this is great but for me I could have and did do this myself many times in shorter amount of time-yes I know that that they say the slow and steady will keep it off but I dunno.....plus Im not keen on the limited food intake-im sooooooooooooooooo sick of chicken salad I could scream but for me I cant eat rice,beef,breads,pork,pastas you name it so for Protein its chicken everyday-now dont get me wrong I like(d) chicken but every day for lunch is workin my nerves-but this isnt the case with everyone.

I am a Inamed 10 band and am filled to 4 cc I think which is my max I believe which makes me even more frustrated.Also for me I cant go eat anywhere as I cant eat hardly anything without coughing a good bit of it back up as Im full after about 2 tablespoons so I eat very little and no one likes to go out with someone who never orders anything-lol.

I'm extremely happy with my decision to be banded. To date, I've lost 58lbs, since March 4th. I haven't had any problems with the band, as some others have. The frustrating bits for me so far have been:-

• the liquid diet before and after banding
  • PB's (they don't happen often for me, but gosh when they do I know it!!)
  • having to choose to eat or to drink, when going out - I can't fit in both
  • not hitting restriction on the first fill - while I knew that wouldn't happen, it was still a bit of a bummer
  • the rate of weight loss - I'd love to lose faster, but realize that's not realistic for me

These things are all things I can live with though and I'm happy to put up with all of them if it means I'll lose weight. I would do it all again, in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision.

I really love my band. But it has taught me patience. I lost about 100 pounds then had my son still needing to lose about 35 more. Now I still need to lose about 20 pounds. I love it and it has been both easier (at times) and more challenging (at times) than I thought it would be. Dealing with emotional/compulsive eating has been the hardest but I have dealt with it and a binge to me now is one hand full of M and Ms, not an extra large pizza.< /p>

:)

I am very happy overall with my progress. I've lost 30lbs in two months since my op (Jul 6). I am happy to not have to worry if I'm going to be really bloated (from overeating) or not. I am happy to fit into clothes I haven't worn for ages. I am happy that I stay fuller longer. ...

But I do get frustrated with the relatively slower weight loss (I noticed that I lost weight only during the liquid phase after op and after fills (I have had two fills so far)). My sis is getting married in a month and I'd love to reach my goal weight by then - which is impossible. But that's not the band's fault - more like my unreasonable expectations.

I find it still hard day-to-day because old habits are hard to break. At times when I'm bothered I still want to reach for 'comfort' foods. I am bothered at the fact that I've lost mostly my muscle mass - I tried getting bk to working out but I am way too weak. I get quite upset about this.

But overall..I'm quite happy with the band..it just needs a lifetime commitment and lots of patience and lots of venting (on this site - which usually gets you a lot of support and gets you back on track!)....

Yes I too am a sloooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww loser. And I mean slooooooooowwwwwwwwww. I was banded May 24th, 2005 - lost 8lbs right after surgery during the liquid phase - gained 4lbs back before my first fill July 7th. After first fill - felt no more restriction - only lost 1lb before my second fill Aug. 31st. He filled me too tight and I lost 2.5lbs in one day and a 1/2. He took .5cc out - which I know was too much because now I'm back to not much restriction and NOT losing anymore weight............ So total weight loss in 3 1/2 months - 8lbs :) I was soooooo sure I'd be the one to drop 30 right out of surgery. Nope - I am literally one of the slowest losers I've seen on the 4 forums I belong to. I'm hoping my next fill will get me to the sweet spot that everyone speaks of. I've got a long way to go to. Not as easy as I thought it'd be - whoever says "oh she took the easy way out and had WLS" - is full of dooky and in my book is about as worthless as a poop flavored loli-pop! I've had to work for my 8ln loss and that's really nothing to brag home about either!

Good things - like staying fuller longer.

Like not having to heap a full plate of food to satisfy me.

Like asking my boyfriend to take 1/2 the food on my plate (let him gain a few pounds lol)

That's all I can think of for now.

I will tell you - that the bad things we're not supposed to eat will go right on down smoothly - when I was filled too tight and couldn't eat solids - I found that oreo Cookies went right on down - no problems. I still battle the sweet tooth - somehow I don't feel satisfied until I have one sweet treat a day whether it be a candy bar or a couple Cookies or a piece of candy. Before being banded it was nothing for me to hit the vending machine at work 2-3 times during a 12 hour shift for something sweet. Now I rarely do. That's everything I can think of - hope it helps!

For me, all of the good that has come from my band and my weight loss totally out weighs any bad that has happened to me. and I have had the bad. I have had a few complications, like gastritis, esophagitis and complete bowel obstruction with surgery to fix it but I would do it all over again in a second. I'm much happier and much much healthier since my band wouldn't trade it for anything

well im still newly banded but i dont regret a thing!!! I look totaly differnt and im able to do so many new things.. The other day i went to a club and i was accused of having a fake i.d. it was a big hassle but after argueing with the the dumb cop and having to show my surgery marks it felt great knowing i dont look the same.

Kim

Hello! My name is Patty and I was banded aug 25, 2005. I think I am doing great?? I have lost 19 pounds so far and go for my first fill the 26th of this month. I am really nervous about this, maybe more than the surgery itself....any thoughts to soothe my nerves?

Hi

I had the band 30 April and have had a lot of abdominal pain and reflux since then.I have lost 50 pounds.Gained only 3 while on holiday this summer (miracle I should say!!) I am frustrated because at this point I am living with the reflux and outeating the band......meaning grazing to much carbs during the day...BUT...even though I am having problems I think the band can work really well if you dont have complications.....

Once again you all, THANKS for you honesty. However, I do have a question...the band does not suppress the hunger? Why would some lose a pound and others 50lbs in the same amount of time?