Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest fear right now

I'm following your thought process keithf. That's what I'd do too. All the tricks I used to get fruit and veg into my kids, I use on myself. I mash potato, pumpkin and several other vegies together. I blend fruit into things. I'd never ever make chilli or bolognaise without zucchinim carrot, mushrooms finely chopped and processed in the food processer and used to replace some of the meat. The kids never even notice!

Now, as to the logic behind pureeing things. I struggle with fruit. I thought no problem, I'll eat tinned fruit instead, that's cooked and soft. Still doesnt work. One of the hardest things to eat of all is the little tubs of pureeed fruit - I used to feed that to my babies. I often get stuck on yogurt too.

As it happens, I have no trouble with asparagus (or grape skins). But it simply does not follow that if you DO have trouble with it, that you can puree it. It probably still wont work.

I drink a glass of juice in the mornings, that gets a serve of fruit in for me with no problems.

Most people CAN eat steamed vegies though, they just dont.

As it happens, I have no trouble with asparagus (or grape skins). But it simply does not follow that if you DO have trouble with it, that you can puree it. It probably still wont work.

I know my surgeon discourages fruit juices on the basis of caloric density. I can deal with that, though. As much as I'm an OJ hound, what I actually jones for is citric acid: I can be just as happy letting Vitamin C tablets dissolve (on) my tongue. I used to pop them like candy when I was a kid. Actually, I think I thought of them *as* candy.

I figure if I *do* end up having problems with grape skins, I'll remove the skins and have the grape flesh. I could care less about asparagus, and cauliflower's a known-tasty substitute for potatoes for me.

Part of my thinking on this is inspired by the horseradish crust I currently enjoy at Outback. I can see a variety of such garnishes, and it gives my partner fodder for cooking ideas.

I imagine part of it's mechanical, and the other part is chemical (does it change the situation, eg by irritating the stomach lining?), and like allergies that's going to differ for everyone in non-deterministic ways. Like me and caffinated coffee -- my mother described the effect as labor pains, and I'll not question her judgement in that.

Sounds like a sensible approach. For me, banding is all I feel comfortable with being that the insurance does not pay for the sleeve at this point. A bypass just scares the crap out of me....like maybe 10 years down the road are problems going to start showing up and well, from what I have read...you just can't go in their and fix the plumbing easily. Maybe not at all...that I don't know about. So, with the band option left I know that this will only work if I can arrange things and experiment with what I have to make it work for me. I appreciate all the different outlooks on things. I find it all very helpful in deciding the best approach for me. I live in the country and I have a nice veggie garden...it would be most difficult to not eat any of what I work so hard to grow! I see how the Proteins can fill you up...so maybe more frequent tiny meals might work...like 3 good forms of Protein and in between some fruits and veggies. That might be what I try so I can customize my eating ability with the best food choices. I would think if you didn't get fruits and veggies in that Constipation would be a huge issue. For now until I get to experiment myself I am just gathering hints and ideas from all of you who have had weight loss surgery.

I see how the Proteins can fill you up...so maybe more frequent tiny meals might work...like 3 good forms of Protein and in between some fruits and veggies.

My surgery's scheduled for 30 June. Like you, the band is the only surgery covered by my insurance that I'm comfortable with, so I certainly hope they like what they see when they start poking around.

One thing they advise against is grazing .. eating many *small* things that don't fill you up makes it easy to bypass the restriction of the band, especially since you're supposed to be spending time in between meals drinking Water. My surgeon will want me to have 3, maybe 4 filling meals.

I also spent a year debating whether to get WLS, because of how it may impact some pleasure eating: we have a very fine restaurant nearby we go to for our anniversary (VERY fine: they grow their own herbs, possess one of the finest wine cellars in the country, the former cook won the James Beard award, current used to cook for the White House, etc), and there's always the trips to Vegas we spend watching shows and sampling good restaurants rather than gambling. But I realized that the places I like can (1) adjust recipes, (2) adjust portions if needed, (3) box the rest.

Well, I certainly don't have anything like that around here...maybe some fresh Angus just off the hoof or something...but no frills! LOL! What I am really hoping is that the band will provide me with a huge phychological boost just knowing that it is in there...and also if I don't mind my P's and Q's....I might just have to vomit. I hate to do that...so I am going to try to be a good girl! Also, with me anyway, just seeing the scale can work in the opposite direction from what I am used to seeing is going to be thrilling. That I am counting on to be a guiding force to keep me on track. As long as I get my tummy full and can eat the healthy things I love and can tolerate...I think I can say no to most tempting situations.

My surgery's scheduled for 30 June. Like you, the band is the only surgery covered by my insurance that I'm comfortable with, so I certainly hope they like what they see when they start poking around.

One thing they advise against is grazing .. eating many *small* things that don't fill you up makes it easy to bypass the restriction of the band, especially since you're supposed to be spending time in between meals drinking Water. My surgeon will want me to have 3, maybe 4 filling meals.

I also spent a year debating whether to get WLS, because of how it may impact some pleasure eating: we have a very fine restaurant nearby we go to for our anniversary (VERY fine: they grow their own herbs, possess one of the finest wine cellars in the country, the former cook won the James Beard award, current used to cook for the White House, etc), and there's always the trips to Vegas we spend watching shows and sampling good restaurants rather than gambling. But I realized that the places I like can (1) adjust recipes, (2) adjust portions if needed, (3) box the rest.

Oh, yes, you will be having lots of boxed leftovers! One of my favorite fast food meals was a combo of an Italian beef and cheddar on croissant with large fries and of course large diet coke. Now it takes me 3 meals to eat the sandwich and of course I don't purchase the fries or diet coke. It's great! I still get the taste of a favorite food but I am loosing weight. You'll do the same.

Well, I certainly don't have anything like that around here...maybe some fresh Angus just off the hoof or something...but no frills!

I was surprised, myself. And while they're not an every-night sort of thing, they're surprisingly affordable for once a year or two for (I'd say) a majority of people.

That I am counting on to be a guiding force to keep me on track. As long as I get my tummy full and can eat the healthy things I love and can tolerate...

I think that's the idea.. As for psychological boost, the pre-op diet has been a good chance to prove (again) that yes, I can lose weight as a remarkable pace (down about 25 pounds or so the past month, and another month to go). Just having less matter in my tract as a result, has made me feel less.. bloated. It's easier to tie my shoes, certainly.

I think I can say no to most tempting situations.

Borrow a cattle prod when pass by the Angus? It'd be infinitely better than vomitting. :blush:

Oh, yes, you will be having lots of boxed leftovers! One of my favorite fast food meals was a combo of an Italian beef and cheddar on croissant with large fries and of course large diet coke. Now it takes me 3 meals to eat the sandwich and of course I don't purchase the fries or diet coke. It's great! I still get the taste of a favorite food but I am loosing weight. You'll do the same.

I'm surprised you can do the croissant. Most folks I've seen aren't able to do breads. Or are you doing a lettuce wrap?

We calculated this weekend that the pre-op diet alone as saved us about $600 in our food budget this past month, between not eating at the company cafeteria and other places. I expect that figure to improve substantially once I shift from about 1700 cal/day to < 700 (I'll guess it'll shift by another $300).

The extra money will probably go toward a new grill. Our last one turned into a forge one evening. The temperature gauge was maxed out, so we know it reached at least 700F by the time we noticed it. :blush:

Personally there is not alot I can not eat except for most breads unless it is toasted.I can eat apples,all berries and most any fruit I chose.Veggies too not found a one I could not eat if I want it.Now meat is hit or miss depending on the time of day,I can even eat steak much to my docs amazement.I really doubt I get in enough of any of them but I supplement what I can.For the most part what I do eat now is better for me than the sweets and fats I was eating before banding.I am not over tight either and I do not want to be so tight my eyes bulge.

I'm surprised you can do the croissant. Most folks I've seen aren't able to do breads. Or are you doing a lettuce wrap?
Actually, it is a real croissant. The band is so fickle. There are lots of breads that I can't eat but somehow this particular croissant, all juicy with beef juice goes down fine. Like others have noted, sometimes getting something to go down will depend on the time of day or if I am particularly stressed about something.

Personally there is not alot I can not eat except for most breads unless it is toasted.I can eat apples,all berries and most any fruit I chose.Veggies too not found a one I could not eat if I want it.Now meat is hit or miss depending on the time of day,I can even eat steak much to my docs amazement.I really doubt I get in enough of any of them but I supplement what I can.For the most part what I do eat now is better for me than the sweets and fats I was eating before banding.I am not over tight either and I do not want to be so tight my eyes bulge.

I was considering strategies for steak, if I encountered problems chewing it enough. Steaks are usually cut such that the fibers run up/down, so that you cut in between them. But if you were to shave the other direction, through the fibers, it might make it easier to chew it sufficiently to pass.

For this reason, too, I've been considering investing in a deli slicer.

I was considering strategies for steak, if I encountered problems chewing it enough. Steaks are usually cut such that the fibers run up/down, so that you cut in between them. But if you were to shave the other direction, through the fibers, it might make it easier to chew it sufficiently to pass.

For this reason, too, I've been considering investing in a deli slicer.

Hi Keith, your message makes me smile.:blush: You have a very sound scientific approach but from having the band for 9 months, myself, I have a feeling when it comes right down to it, if you're anything like me, you'll be like 'Oh, darn it all. This steak looks so good I'm just going to chew this thing and see what happens." I don't mean to discourage you at all. I love my band and don't have a moment's regret. It's just that sometimes, for no discernable reason, the band does not perform as it scientifically should. Just keep that as an expectation so that you don't feel like any disappointments are your fault.

well I know when I slice brisket...I slice it diagonal to the grain and it definately makes it easier to chew. What about cooking meats in a pressure cooker? It seems that would make most anything fall apart tender, plus the broth you cook it in should keep it moist. I think I will try that...when the times comes.

Hi Keith, your message makes me smile.:blush: You have a very sound scientific approach but from having the band for 9 months, myself, I have a feeling when it comes right down to it, if you're anything like me, you'll be like 'Oh, darn it all. This steak looks so good I'm just going to chew this thing and see what happens." I don't mean to discourage you at all. I love my band and don't have a moment's regret. It's just that sometimes, for no discernable reason, the band does not perform as it scientifically should. Just keep that as an expectation so that you don't feel like any disappointments are your fault.

Not scientific.. I just watch Alton Brown, and he's full of good tricks.

For the record, steak's not my weak point. Mashed potatoes and creamed corn are. :blush:

(disclaimer, I *did* get my BS in physics & astronomy, but I don't get my income from either)