Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest fear right now

I have been poking around on LBT for a long time and I haven't run across any info on this yet.(not to say it isn't there) What possible "long term" complications can happen from lap band surgery? What I mean is...I know about slippage, erosion, port repairs and the such....from what I have read, those can be fixed. BUT...is there any complication from surgery that can't be fixed? My surgery date is June 12th, so I know I am taking this time to convince myself that this is the right thing to do and all will be okay, but there is always that other side that keeps you wondering if you are making the right move, or are you a loser because you can't lose the weight yourself. I am fat and I need to lose weight, but I also am healthy with all things considered. I have high cholestrol, sleep apnea because of my weight, but other than those two things, I have no other problems except plantar fasiitis. I sometimes fear that I might have some long term or lifetime problem that happens because of surgery. I sure wouldn't want to lose the health I have left! Any thoughts on this?

I think you've named everything I've heard of. You have to remember that lap band surgery has only been performed in the US for about 7 years. While they are constantly compiling information about patients, there aren't any long term patients (like 10 or 15 years). BUT the band is removable, so if it became an issue 15 years from now or whatever, it could be removed if it was believed it was causing a problem.

I have been poking around on LBT for a long time and I haven't run across any info on this yet.(not to say it isn't there) What possible "long term" complications can happen from lap band surgery? What I mean is...I know about slippage, erosion, port repairs and the such....from what I have read, those can be fixed. BUT...is there any complication from surgery that can't be fixed? My surgery date is June 12th, so I know I am taking this time to convince myself that this is the right thing to do and all will be okay, but there is always that other side that keeps you wondering if you are making the right move, or are you a loser because you can't lose the weight yourself. I am fat and I need to lose weight, but I also am healthy with all things considered. I have high cholestrol, sleep apnea because of my weight, but other than those two things, I have no other problems except plantar fasiitis. I sometimes fear that I might have some long term or lifetime problem that happens because of surgery. I sure wouldn't want to lose the health I have left! Any thoughts on this?

I do have permanent esophageal damage from the band. Most of the problems resolved after removing my band but the rest of the damage is there forever.

If the band were to erode or seriously damage your stomach about the worse case scenario is the slim chance of no future WLS revisions.

Dental problems from vomiting if you PB a great deal.

The long term complications (including death) from obesity are 1000x greater than long term problems with banding. Now, don't get me wrong... there are a lot of complications that come with banding. But the severity of obesity is worse than the problems you'll have with a band.

Cathy:

I think you've named everything I've heard of. You have to remember that lap band surgery has only been performed in the US for about 7 years. While they are constantly compiling information about patients, there aren't any long term patients (like 10 or 15 years). BUT the band is removable, so if it became an issue 15 years from now or whatever, it could be removed if it was believed it was causing a problem.

Sure there are. There are a great number of long term studies. It hasn't been in the US long but it's been around for many years. It was approved in MX in 1991, it was being used in several countries long before the US.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

Don't let the problems that could happen hinder you from doing this. The way I looked at it was there are far more complications for staying overweight. There are pros and cons for everything, focus on what this will do to benefit your health.Good luck:thumbup:

Oh yes...I do want to focus on the benefits...but it's just human nature to let yourself wander over to what could happen. I am sure that surgery and risks are all worth it as long as I am successful! I am praying I can follow procedures on what I need to do to succeed. Thanks for posting your thoughts...it really does help to hear from those who have been there and done that!

Well, personally I think there's nutritional problems that can arise too - since what I see people eating (and this is not a high protein/high carb comparison or argument at all) is absolutely terrible.

The biggest problem with the band outside of damage to your actual body (which is rare) is that banding, and the way people tend to want to use it - leads to the inability to consume entire food groups - and it CERTAINLY leads to the underconsumption (by a long shot) of fresh fruit and vegetables.

I agree entirely that the risks of obesity far outweigh the risks of eating too little fresh produce, but I dont personally believe a diet of Protein Shakes, cheese, the occasional cracker and maybe a bean or two now and then is doing anyone ANY favours in terms of living a long, healthy cancer and disease free life.

I have what I consider a loose band and I have to work extremely hard to fit these foods in, since they are more difficult foods, I find myself gravitating to the easier foods - often healthy foods, but not fibrous ones, and indeed to bad foods - for some insane reason, I find pastry easy, so I am always craving a meat pie or sausage roll for lunch (I'm an Aussie, lol). And the problem is, with a bandsters little stomach, 3 slices of raw carrot is NOT an entire serve of vegies.

That woudl be my main concern.

Well, personally I think there's nutritional problems that can arise too - since what I see people eating (and this is not a high protein/high carb comparison or argument at all) is absolutely terrible.

The biggest problem with the band outside of damage to your actual body (which is rare) is that banding, and the way people tend to want to use it - leads to the inability to consume entire food groups - and it CERTAINLY leads to the underconsumption (by a long shot) of fresh fruit and vegetables.

I agree entirely that the risks of obesity far outweigh the risks of eating too little fresh produce, but I dont personally believe a diet of Protein Shakes, cheese, the occasional cracker and maybe a bean or two now and then is doing anyone ANY favours in terms of living a long, healthy cancer and disease free life.

I have what I consider a loose band and I have to work extremely hard to fit these foods in, since they are more difficult foods, I find myself gravitating to the easier foods - often healthy foods, but not fibrous ones, and indeed to bad foods - for some insane reason, I find pastry easy, so I am always craving a meat pie or sausage roll for lunch (I'm an Aussie, lol). And the problem is, with a bandsters little stomach, 3 slices of raw carrot is NOT an entire serve of vegies.

That woudl be my main concern.

Excellent point and one that should have been obvious to me. There isn't a doubt that I was severely malnourished by the time I had my band removed. It took about 6 months before I can say I really felt good and healthy again. I felt MUCH better just having the band removed but for overall health it took me about six months. Today I eat all the things I struggled with while banded, veggies. I've never been a fan of fruit.

What the heck is a meat pie? You can imagine the visuals here. ;o) I think I asked you this a long time ago but I don't remember what it was?

I'm picturing an apple pie with meat added. ;o)

So it was hard for you to eat both fruit and veggies? Is that true for all band patients or is it a matter of what each person tolerates? I would hate to give up either fruit or veggies. Can't they be cooked tender and then eaten? I thought I had read somewhere that it was fine to have them, I guess I better go do some research!

A meat pie is pastry with a meat filling - no sweet stuff. Typically the meat is braised(don't know if that is the correct American term) in gravy . Common varieties include beef, beef and muhroom, chicken and mushroom etc.

They are a national institution in Australia but were invented originally in Europe(UK I think) in the middle ages.

Can't believe that you don't have pies over there, they are divine.And of course not very good for you because they are loaded with fat!

A meat pie is pastry with a meat filling - no sweet stuff. Typically the meat is braised(don't know if that is the correct American term) in gravy . Common varieties include beef, beef and muhroom, chicken and mushroom etc.

They are a national institution in Australia but were invented originally in Europe(UK I think) in the middle ages.

Can't believe that you don't have pies over there, they are divine.And of course not very good for you because they are loaded with fat!

HA! Our name is just as silly... we call them a pot pie.

Ours our loaded with fat as well! Ours are meat, peas, corn, potatoes, gravy, in a non-sweet crust. Not a lot that is healthy in there. ;o)

Well, I suspect like here, things like that are mainly made with lips and assholes!

You just drown it all in sauce anyway (tomato sauce = ketchup).

A sausage roll is made from sausage mince and onion and vegies (if you make them at home) all mixed into a pasty sort of mess, and you make it into big sausages and roll it in savoury pastry and bake.

I'm partial to party pies and sausage rolls - mini versions. I find anything like a pie which is normally about 3/4 of the size of a saucer (you dont take a slice out of it like for a family size pie, you eat the whole thing) is difficult becuase if you eat it out of a paper bag like you do if you buy one for lunch at the football or the kids' basketball or wherever, it tends to fall apart, so its the kind of thing you eat very fast in huge gulps before all the hot filling falls on your hands. Instant PB there! I struggle with sushi and rice paper rolls and stuff for the same reason. If I can buy them, take them home and eat with a knife and fork, fine, but to try to eat them out of the bag with my hands, ouch.

So it was hard for you to eat both fruit and veggies? Is that true for all band patients or is it a matter of what each person tolerates? I would hate to give up either fruit or veggies. Can't they be cooked tender and then eaten? I thought I had read somewhere that it was fine to have them, I guess I better go do some research!

For me, it isn't a matter of not being able to tolerate certain vegetables or fruits. It is a matter of there just not being enough room in my pouch to eat Protein and vegetables and fruits for a meal.

Another pre-band poster said that she was looking forward to the band teaching her how to eat healthy. IMO, the band does not do that at all. The band provides restriction. That's all.

Good luck to you.

Disclaimer: I'm still a month from surgery. This is all based on reading what others have noted for themselves.

food tolerance is different from patient-to-patient. Some foods are in general more difficult to make tolerable to most people (for example, things that are hard to chew well enough to pass through the stoma -- grape skins are often noted, as are woody plants such as asparagus). That may lead you to exclude some items, or discover different ways to prep them.

I'd consider, for example, the possibilities of using a bit of pureed asparagus as a garnish for meat. Or perhaps take the puree and dehydrate it into thin, crispy wafers.

Disclaimer: I'm still a month from surgery. This is all based on reading what others have noted for themselves.

food tolerance is different from patient-to-patient. Some foods are in general more difficult to make tolerable to most people (for example, things that are hard to chew well enough to pass through the stoma -- grape skins are often noted, as are woody plants such as asparagus). That may lead you to exclude some items, or discover different ways to prep them.

I'd consider, for example, the possibilities of using a bit of pureed asparagus as a garnish for meat. Or perhaps take the puree and dehydrate it into thin, crispy wafers.

True, but most people don't want to take the time to make their food into baby food. At first you are all about food and how to do things. Over time you just want to eat the darn stuff, you don't want to have to go to those extremes so you end up avoiding them. Going out to dinner is trippy when there is something you want and there isn't a chance in the world it is going to go down.

You'd be surprised about pureed foods. You'd think it goes down with no problem. I never could eat mashed potatoes, got stuck every single time. One would think that one would be easy.

The band is really quite ... fickle.

True, but most people don't want to take the time to make their food into baby food.< /div>

This isn't about making baby food. Most people are content to order their filets mignon medium-well and gorge on sugar-coated fat. This is about taking an interest in food, to replace the interest in eating.

The OP likes veggies. Some veggies are difficult in their typical form. There are only three responses to this (or any other) problem:

- ignore the problem, stop complaining (stupid)

- keep complaining, but do nothing about it (annoying)

- find different ways to prepare them (creative, interesting)

So maybe solid asparagus, etc don't work. Fine: change its form as use it as an ingredient in something else. You'd get the flavor (sans the texture), and you're better off than you were before.

My apologies, and please don't think it's directed at you -- I have been finding myself with an incredible lack of patience for negative attitudes. After all, I've an empire to run. :wink2: