Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 2 weeks postop. Over the last two days I have developed hives just about ALL over my body. My arms started yesterday and when I woke up today they are everywhere! I went to my PCP and he has put me on a Rx Benedryll.

He said maybe I'm allergic to something I've been eating. WHAT is it? With so many changes to my diet it could seriously be anything!!! I had greek yogurt this week, which I've never had before. Then I accidentally bought Creatine powder instead of Protein. I had that for two days before I relized it. Then I have the whey Protein shakes that I've been drinking every day.

It hasn't itched until about 10 mins ago... I'm dying, somebody help me!!!

Hey Rosie... that sounds miserable... I sure hope the benedryl kicks in soon. Hives aren't any fun, and it is not as if you are having fun getting them! I would suggest you knock out everything new from your diet. Go back to the basics and add new stuff in one at a time. You may never know what is causing your hives but it would be nice for them to be a thing of the past!

Someone else on here (I believe it was meem) had an allergic reaction to the whey in her Protein Shakes. Sometimes it takes a while for the reaction to develop. For instance, you'll tolerate it for a while, then one day your body just says, enough! I can't take this anymore! and it breaks out. Good luck! Hope the Benedryl helps quickly!

Hey Rosie, Ann was right, it was me. About four days into my pre-op I was doing all Protein Drinks, only. I started to get hives ALL over my body. They never itched. and like Ann said, my body was just reacting to the amt of whey I was absorbing. Two days later I was fine, and I still use my whey powder without incident. Hopefully you are doing better now. Good luck,

HI.

I stopped drinking the Whey Powder on the 21st to see if it would help and after I stopped drinking it and continued with the Rx Benedryl it finally stopped spreading. Not like it had any where else to show up. The only place it wasn't was on my "privates" (at lease down below my boobs are another story, SCARY story) :lol::rolleyes2: and my neck and face.

It isn't red anymore and not as itchy. My arms still look swollen but the bumps and redness have subsided. I still have bumps all over my legs and back but it looks like it is clearing up. I also have tiny bumps all over my lips. You can't even see them but I can feel them it feels like I got sand in my lip gloss.

I'm not sure what my next step would be? Should I try the Protein powder again and see if that is what it was? I have been chopping up roast beef and cheese and eating that between meals for the extra Protein and I bought that Over the Moon milk with extra protein in it. I have heard of soy protein working in place of whey, but even the smell of soy milk makes me gag.

I may have to just wait til I see the doc again in a week or so.

I, too, have the hives. I'm scared to death because it's a Friday night! Ugh! But I'm not so sure it's the whey. I do take a bullet of whey every day for my 42 grams and the Protein Shakes I'm drinking are soy-based. I've used them for quite a few years now so I've never had any reaction to them. I've been doing the whey since I got out of the hospital. Haven't had a problem until now. It's only affecting my sides. I bought some over-the-counter Zyrtek because in the past (about 10 years ago) I did have a case of hives and that helped me.

I had an allergic reaction to the adhisive in the bandages they used, and ended up having an infection in one of my incisions because of it. The scab actually came off last saturday. 6 weeks after my surgery. They didn't give me benedryl, but just prescription strength bacitracin.

Good luck with healing!