Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Off topic. . Can we talk about Kirstie Alley?

I don't blame her for making up numbers (if she is)...it's no ones business how much she weighs!

I don't know about that. . I think it stopped being private the moment she made it everyone's business by going on TV, getting paid to be a spokesperson for Jenny Craig, and broadcasting her supposed weight #s to anyone who would listen (People, Oprah, etc., etc.). My thought is that if she didn't want to tell people what she weighed, she could have just not told anyone. . . much less alert the media!

I completely agree that this is very different from the Driver's License situation. There, people who really don't want to tell their weight are forced to do it by law. Very different from volunteering it so you can get a paid endorsement spot, get on Oprah, and get a cover & photo spread in a magazine with a circulation of 3.6 million people.

All of that said, as someone who really actually was 230 (at 5'6) seven months ago, I can understand that she may have felt embarrassed, that she's been humiliated by the press with horrible articles and photos, and that she probably feels so bad about herself for gaining the weight she worked so hard to lose.

I'm not trying to minimize her struggle, her feelings, the fact that she's beautiful at any weight, how cruel the media is, etc. All I'm saying is that. . there is no freaking way I believe that 5'8 woman only 230 at her highest.

I agree that she looks like she weighs more than what she says she does....but I don't think there is really any visual way to know how much someone weighs.

My entire life I have weighed over 30kgs MORE than what people thought I did (including my own doctor who didn't believe me when I said I weighed 140kgs at my heaviest) until I stood on the scales in front of him. It frustrates the hell out of me when people who weigh less than me look a lot bigger than me.

The reason I was given - muscle mass. I have a lot of muscle compared to a lot of other overweight people. The muscle weighs a lot more than people who are just carrying fat/flab. I carry a lot of fat/flab..but it is more proportioned than that of someone who doesn't have any muscle....Soooo what I'm trying to say is maybe Kirstie just doesn't have ANY muscle and therefore even at her heaviest (according to her 230) she looked a lot bigger visually but it didn't necessarily mean that she weighed more...

lol I started to confuse myself at the end so I hope you get what I mean!! :thumbup:

I was 5ft 10, 245 lb when I got banded and Kirstie Alley at her heaviest was twice the size I was. I was nowhere near as fat as she got.

Then again - it can be deceptive. You'd have to see her in real life. And she also has one of those faces, where she just completely loses any chin or neck when she gains which makes her look absolutely enormous, when in fact her body may not have been as big as her face led you to expect, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, I have a very heavy girlfriend who has maintained a fairly thin neck (and also has tiny, slender hands and feet) and that is also deceptive, you cant believe she weighs 300lb.

If she hadnt been the JC spokesperson, i would have suspected she never said what her weight was and that it was just made up rubbish to fill tabloids. But in the position she had, I feel she did have a responsibility to be honest about her weight (and size).

I'm not trying to minimize her struggle, her feelings, the fact that she's beautiful at any weight, how cruel the media is, etc. All I'm saying is that. . there is no freaking way I believe that 5'8 woman only 230 at her highest.

You know, I get to look at people's weight / height every night as part of my job, and I can "guesstimate" pretty good (I daresay I could work the "guess your weight" booth at carnivals). There's no way 230 was the highest. She was probably 215 when she wore the bikini on the show. Granted....I didn't see her in real life, and TV is supposed to add pounds, but that's my opinion.

If she hadnt been the JC spokesperson, i would have suspected she never said what her weight was and that it was just made up rubbish to fill tabloids. But in the position she had, I feel she did have a responsibility to be honest about her weight (and size).

And as cruel as it sounds, let's be honest......she's not fooling anybody. I can understand the humiliation of disclosing one's weight in public, but if she gives an artificially low number, she can't change how she looks.

I can tell people all day long that I weigh 150, but I think they'd be more likely to believe their eyes.

Is your driver's license accurate, for example?

Actually, it says I weigh 55 lb. more than I do. :thumbup:

Remember the camera does add weight. This is true, if you have ever met anyone who is on TV and you meet them.

Also, KA, would make a lousy, lousy, lapband person. First, she has a very significant history of addiction issues. Second, she isn't very well liked at her best. She had one short career on Cheers, and really hasn't done diddly since. She is a "C list star" at best.

She lost the weight because she was motivated by the sponsor money to lose it, then after collecting, she lost motivation to keep it off. In other words, only money is motivating her to lose, it won't last, regardless of what she does choose to lose weight.

....and lots of us lie too..ages, weight...is your driver's license accurate, for example? :thumbup:

Lol, now that you mention it . . . I weigh less than what my drivers license says I do for the first time in my life. However, that is a fluke in that I kept losing beyond expectations.

She was probably 215 when she wore the bikini on the show. .

i thought the same thing - she never took her robe off when she disclosed her bikini bod on oprah.

i personally am not knocking KA, gaining weight in private was hell, i couldn't imagine doing it while the tabloids make a living over someone gaining weight. i just no way believe at her heaviest she was 230.

Also, KA, would make a lousy, lousy, lapband person. First, she has a very significant history of addiction issues. Second, she isn't very well liked at her best.

What does being well-liked have to do with being a good lapband patient? :thumbup:

She lost the weight because she was motivated by the sponsor money to lose it, then after collecting, she lost motivation to keep it off. In other words, only money is motivating her to lose, it won't last, regardless of what she does choose to lose weight.

I completely disagree with this. We all know that diets don't work. They don't work because they don't provide hunger control so eventually you can't stick to them any more.

I'm really dismayed that people who have had WLS and are failed dieters would pass judgement on another person's inability to keep off the pounds after a diet.

We have ALL been through the same thing... when you are losing, you are motivated. But when you get to goal or plateau, the motivation to constantly deprive yourself lessens and your ability to force yourself not to eat when you are very hunger also lessens. And the weight starts coming back on...

We don't know what Kirstie's motivation was. Yes, she was paid, but that doesn't mean she wasn't motivated by other considerations such as health and wanting her life back.

I would have to agree with MacMadame.

No one ever paid me to lose weight . . . it was the other way around where I was paying for this or that to try and lose. Making money wasn't motivation but I still couldn't keep it off until I was banded. I lost the weight for all the "right" reasons but my insatiable hunger eventually bested my efforts.

Well said Mac,

I think if any of us were put under a microscope like a fat* actor we'd all be a bit more understanding.

fat=anything bigger than a size 0 in Hollywood!

Most women and now men tend to judge themselves and others on their weight/gain/loss/size. It's a lot of pressure and really silly/superficial/insane if you think about it but we're kind of stuck doing this in our society. OK, I know we all got surgery for our health but let's be honest we all feel the pressure to look good!

I think she's a beautiful actress no matter what size she is or what her weight is. She's not just a "pretty face" and is a good comedic actor. She's lucky to have very beautiful and striking features and carries most of her weight below the waist. So it's easier to camoflage. I envy that as I'm an "apple" and cannot hide much!

As I've stated before I'm the last to throw stones in my glass house as I've been a skinny beeeeach and gained it all back again and have repeated that same scenerio a few times. Once you get closer to 50 it gets a lot harder to get back to skinny beeeeach hence the RNY I am now getting! I hope everyone that has gotten thin and is able to now judge those that are not as thin as they think they should be realize it can all go away again under certain circumstances. That pumpkin we all want to go away sometimes comes back! Nancy.

Second, she isn't very well liked at her best. She had one short career on Cheers, and really hasn't done diddly since. She is a "C list star" at best.

I'm not sure what you mean by "well liked".....she was actually quite well liked by people she worked with. I became acquainted with her first when she had her screen debut on Star Trek II, and then got to know her when she worked on Cheers (I worked at the studio where they made those). She was quite a lot of fun, and got along with most everyone....very personable. I had lunch with her a couple of times and she was a riot!

I was surprised when i saw her begin to put on weight noticibly during "Veronica's Closet", because she always looked terrifc when i saw her on the lot. But, she was under a lot of pressure to succeed in her new series, and i suspect that is one of the reasons she turned to food.< /p>