Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. James Clay Wellborn - Calling all Dr. Wellborn's patients

Has anyone else out there been banded by Dr. Wellborn? I love him and his staff! They are the key in my success. They always listen and treat me like a person not just another patient. I was banded October 2008. Weighed 200 lbs. Down to 137 with a BMI of 26. YEAH! Best decision I ever made both choosing Dr Wellborn and getting the band!

They are the best! I'm down over 70 pounds with more to go! I ran a mile yesterday on the treadmill (first time ever!) and I feel fantastic!

I just scheduled my surgery today. I'm getting banded on 7/21. But so far, everyone has been so nice and willing to listen to my nervous chatter. lol

Hi - I was banded by Dr. Wellborn on August 11, 2009, and I'm four weeks out of surgery now. I've had the same experience as the previous posters -- I appreciate how they take all the time you need. I've not ever felt like the doctor or his staff weren't willing to take the time to answer my questions thoroughly (definitely WAY different than my PCP or other docs I've been to). I'm thrilled with the band so far. Started out at 232, and am down to 209 -- in just four weeks. I'm already starting to feel more comfortable in my own skin. Just moving around seems easier. The key for me has been exercising. I have walked EVERY day since my surgery (including the day OF my surgery, when I walked three miles in about 1/4 mile increments to help with the gas pains), in addition to my other strenuous exercise (karate four times per week).

Also, he recommended 800 calories per day, and that is exactly what I stick to. I don't want to stay at 800 calories forever, for sure, but I weigh, measure, and count. For now, that's what I'll continue to do.

All in all, I'd highly recommend Dr. Wellborn. He comes across as just a guy off the street, kind of, but I've come to understand that he is a very talented surgeon and I've grown to trust him.

PLEASE E-MAIL ME I WENT TO THE SEMINAR YESTERDAY AND I AM FILLING OUT THE PAPERS TO FAX TO THE OFFICE TODAY. I LIVE IN MOUNTAIN HOME AR. SO THE DRIVE IS WORRYING ME ALITTLE. cherieneal@hotmail.com WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME ONE TO BOUNCE THINGS OFF. ?? THANKS CHERIE

Hi Cherie - I sent you an e-mail and would be happy to talk to you about Dr. Wellborn. I'm so pleased with him and his approach to lap band surgery and the aftercare.

I CALLED MEDICARE DISABILITY TODAY AND THEY DO COVER THE LAP-BAND SURGERY. WITH MORBID OBESITY HIGH BMI & DIABETES OR SECONDARY HEALTH PROBLEMS. SO I AM ON MY WAY. I HAVE FILLED OUT & FAXED ALL MY PAPERS AND WILL COUNT THE DAYS TO HEAR WHAT IS NEXT. I WENT TO THE SEMINAR AND IT WAS WELL WORTH THE DRIVE THEY ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTION AND PUT ALL THE TRASH THAT I HAD HEARD ON THE INTERNET TO REST. YOU DO EAT REGULAR food AFTER LAP-BAND SURGERY (AFTER 2 WEEKS) JUST SMALLER BITES AND NOT AS MUCH BUT YOU ARE NOT HUNGERY AT ALL. YOUR BRAIN TELLS YOU STOMACH YOU ARE FULL AND YOU START BURNING FAT CELLS FOR FUEL. IT'S LIKE GOING FROM A GAS GUSSLER TO A HYBRED ENGINE. I AM EXCITED TO GET STARTED. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT. ANYONE CAN E-MAIL ME cherieneal@hotmail.com PUT BANDSTER IN SUBJECT SO I CAN GET IT OUT OF JUNK MAIL.

THANKS CHERIE

Check your email. I sent you a private response. :)

I am scheduled to be banded on 2-19-10. I have loved working with Dr. W's office so far. I am really nervous about the surgery (not the actual surgery, but after). I was supposed to go to the support group tonight, but it was cancelled with the snow. I was hoping to talk to some new banders.

Hi you have my date i was hoping to be banded the week after valintines days "love my body week" but have not heard anything yet. I am sure you will do fine, just think about this is your new beginning of the rest of your life. Are you on the liquid diet? How is that going? How many visits did you have with dr. W. Before you got your date? Are you paying or do you have insurance? I have insurance that is going to pay, just waiting to see doctor went to seminar in january 19 . Send in all paper work had all blood test have my family doctor referral ok'ing surgery. Have a 48 bmi, i did weigh 280 monday my husband has a pacemaker put in. Stress and snow staying at hospital no sleep gained 5 pounds. Everything went good. Just wish i

had your date. Good luck keep in touch.cherie

I don't have to do liquid diet, just an 800 calorie per day diet for the two weeks pre-op. I started last Friday. I understand about the stress issue. My husband was sick all last week and was in the hosp Thursday and Friday and now I am stuck in the house with two stir crazy kids! I am doing the best that I can and have been pretty successful (getting more like 1000 some days, but no MAJOR slip ups).

I am self-pay. My insurance has a complete exclusion. Because of this, I got to boycott a lot of the wait and all and was able to move through pretty quickly. I actually just went to the seminar last week, but had been to one years ago when I considered the surgery. I was scared then of what would happen with getting pregnant. So, I called them the day after the Jan seminar and they got me going before I went to it. I had my history and consult on Monday and then went to the seminar Tuesday. I was supposed to be going to the Support Group meeting tonight, but it was cancelled.

Let me know if you hear anything. Maybe with close dates, we can be supportive of each other.

My BMI is currently 53.

MY NAME IS CHERIE I WOULD LOVE TO BE YOUR BAND BUDDY, AND HELP SUPPORT YOU IN ANYWAY POSSIBLE. JUST FOR SOMEONE TO TALK TOO. I HAVE VERISON CELL

IF YOU HAVE THE SAME WE CAN TALK FOR NO COST. MY E-MAIL IS cherieneal@hotmail.com MY MEDICARE WILL PAY BECAUSE I AM DISABLED WITH DIABETIES, KNEE PAIN, OBESITY. THATS WHY I CAN'T WAIT, THEY WILL PAY IF THEY WILL JUST START THE PAPER WORK. I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING ELSE. I WANT TO KEEP INTOUCH, WHERE DO YOU LIVE? CLOSE OR A DRIVE? I LIVE IN MOUNTAIN HOME , AR. SO ITS A 3 HOUR DRIVE FOR ME. TAKE CARE OF THOSE RUG RATS THEY ARE WHAT MAKE LIFE SWEET, WHEN YOU GET OLDER. HOPE YOUR HUSBAND GETS BETTER SO HE CAN BE A BIG SUPPORT FOR YOU NEXT WEEK. THAT'S WHAT I TOLD MY HUSBAND TODAY I HOPE MY SURGERY GOES AS SMOOTH AS HIS DID. WE TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER. TALK SOON CHERIE

I cant believe there are Surgeons out there that do the surgery then leave the patients to flounder and wonder how they will ge the money together for a fill, Some charging 250.00 for a Fill,,,,,oh my,,,, us Wellborn children are sooooooo blessed. I think if i lived at any distance in the wonderful state of Arkansas it would be worth it to use Doc Wellborn and his Staff. The education before, after, and during is the best you will find anywhere. I am here to tell you that it is a process to get to the point of being satisfied,,,,not too tight, not too loose,,,,,hang in there and enjoy the j0urney,,,,you cant rush it....i promise it will come.

I cant believe there are Surgeons out there that do the surgery then leave the patients to flounder.

This is the reason I DISLIKE Wellborn. He left me to flounder. I was a patient banded in Mexico. Had already lined up Wellborn as an aftercare doctor. Had seen Wellborn multiple times, post surgery. Then, one day, my band became too tight to the point Water couldn't get down. In other words, an emergency situation. Even though I had used Wellborn multiple times, when I called to schedule an unfill, for this emergency, I was told Wellborn no longer saw Mexican patients. So, I was left with a medical emergency where I had to drive to Texas to resolve it.

Now, I wouldn't fault Wellborn for no longer taking in any NEW Mexican banded patients. However, I find it completely reprehensible that he would turn away a patient that he had a previous relationship with in their state of emergency. Not only was I turned away, I wasn't given any indication that he would no longer be assisting me until I called in my emergency. For that reason, I will NEVER recommend Wellborn as a lapband surgeon.