Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone keeping their surgery a secret?

I haven't told anyone but DH. People sometime can be hurtful without really meaning to be. They don't understand that we still have lots of hard work ahead of us and that the LB is only a tool to help us along the way not a magic cure all

I am sure after the surgery and I am losing the lbs. I will be so excited that I won't be able to keep it a secret anymore but for now, I just get that little smile on my face in anticipation!

Count down to June 25!!!!

I haven't told anyone but DH. People sometime can be hurtful without really meaning to be. They don't understand that we still have lots of hard work ahead of us and that the LB is only a tool to help us along the way not a magic cure all

I am sure after the surgery and I am losing the lbs. I will be so excited that I won't be able to keep it a secret anymore but for now, I just get that little smile on my face in anticipation!

Count down to June 25!!!!

You are so right! We've had enough pain already & unless they've been there then they don't know what they're talking about. Just keep Smiling. :thumbup: I'm counting down with you. I just got my surgery date today! June 18th is coming faster than I know it and I start Pre-op diet of Optifast 800 on May 28th. 3 weeks of drinking 5 shakes a day and then I'm off on my journey to a new me! I know we can do this! We didn't gain this weight overnight & it's not gonna be easy but we're going in a new direction. This time it's gonna be different. I'm happy for you and when they start seeing the new you, it's no secret anymore. So just keep smiling on the inside and know where you're headed!:mad:

I'm not keeping it a secret exactly; I'm just not telling a lot of people. It feels like a personal thing that I don't want to talk about with most people. I did tell my best friend, who is a doctor, and he was totally supportive. I might tell some more family members when it's closer to time, but I haven't decided. It's not that I'm ashamed of the band; it's just that I'm a pretty private person.

I am keeping my surgery to myself because I don't want to hear unsolicited advice. I am not ashamed of this surgery, or myself in any way. I know that eventually I will share with people but as for now only my husband, kids and parents know of my decision.

I don't know why I can't figure out this tracker thing! Oh well, so I post without one. I have only told my daughter and a friend, both that have a band and of course, my husband. I feel the same way. ashamed of how many times I've lost and gained it all back. I don't want to hear "well if she'd just work out and stop eating she'd lose it". I can lose it, I just can't maintain it. Damn, Sure I wish I could but I need help and hopefully this is it. If you're an alcoholic you don't take that first drink. With a food addiction it's different. You have to eat. You have to take that first bite. You know, the people that don't understand why I can't "just do it" seem to be the ones with a cigerette in their mouth. You know, the ones that say they could quit if they want to?:ohmy:0

you are right about the smoking... I don't smoke or drink etc but people that I have known in the past have made comments how I just need to quit eating so much or this or that food... I don't see one of them quiting their addiction... not even with the ease of them getting RX to help them. They are not willing to change their lifestyle. I heard one say "Oh I can't quit then I will get fat" Touche! They don't realize this isn't a magic pill and to lose you have to commit to a lifestyle change that is HARD. ESPECIALLY , if the world around you is pigging out on your favorite foods!

I have told the people closest too me and my own dr. My family is very supportive and the couple of friends that I have that are over weight... only one is negative, I think because she doesn't have insurance or is worried that I won't want to be her friend later , Idon't know yet what her mind is telling her. The others want to see how I do and they may do it too...LOL. (that would be cool to have the "buddies" close at hand! We could go to lunch and share a plate LOL. Affordable dining out!

I have called a counselor and have an appt on June 1st through my husbands EAP and I have my pre-op on the 12th. I can't wait to get on the other side of surgery. Actually I can't wait for the pre-op diet have to! To get the weightloss jumpstarted... I typically loose really well on "liquid-diets" Now I can have help not to gain it back!!!!!!! Whooooo- HOOOOOOO!

Hi I had my lapband operation 2days ago and feel lost alone and in terrible pain can anyone out there tell me the truth as I keep getting the run around off doctors what is the success rate of this operation in percentages or have I wasted my money my time and put myself through hell for nothing HELP!!!!

Hi I had my lapband operation 2days ago and feel lost alone and in terrible pain can anyone out there tell me the truth as I keep getting the run around off doctors what is the success rate of this operation in percentages or have I wasted my money my time and put myself through hell for nothing HELP!!!!

Are you at Home now? where is your Pain is probably COLIC (wind).. in the shoulder area, try to keep moving it will reduce and get better!.Try some Magnesium and Peppermint which will ease the GUT...

You should have someone available you can speak to from the Hospital.. Where are you from .. UK or US ? Apparently the surgeons blow AIR into the Diaphram to allow more space to do the Op internally.

Make sure you take your Pain killers every 4 Hours and drinks fluids every Half hour or suck Ice...

Dawn xx:sad:

Edited by Richardson

I'm keeping my surgery a secret...........only my boyfriend knows and supports me 100%. My family tends to be highly opinionated and it's very ignoring. Diabetes and high blood pressure runs in my family. My my mother and all of her sisters and brothers have diabetes and I want just want to try to avoid that as much as possible. I feel that it's better for me to lose the weight now and have healthier life.

If keeping your surgery a secret is what you choose to do then by all means do so. Good luck on your journey.

I am typically a secrtive person anyway so it's not in my nature to tell people. However, I did not tell even my closest like my mom because I didn't want to hear a lot of opinions. This was a big decision. I really did not want to discuss with people whether they would give negative or positive advice. Everybodies journey is different. I know that certain people would want to watch me to see if and how much weight I would lose. Also, I know my over causeous mom would think I was crazy and would say you just need to exercise and eat less. I have not shared with her all my health issues cause I don't want her to worry about me but I am a risk taker and it's easier for me because I don't seek acceptance from others.

Hey! I didnt want to tell anyone! But I have opened up and now everyone knows and they are all positive about it now. I know before that some people were jealous of me for getting to have it done becasue they also wanted it, but its all worth it now and everyone is pulling for me.

But if I wouldnt have had to tell them, I prob wouldnt.

Are you at Home now? where is your Pain is probably COLIC (wind).. in the shoulder area, try to keep moving it will reduce and get better!.Try some Magnesium and Peppermint which will ease the GUT...

You should have someone available you can speak to from the Hospital.. Where are you from .. UK or US ? Apparently the surgeons blow AIR into the Diaphram to allow more space to do the Op internally.

Make sure you take your Pain killers every 4 Hours and drinks fluids every Half hour or suck Ice...

Dawn xx:sad:

Hi Dawn thanks for your message I have spent the last three days in and out of sleep the hospital released me on sat morning with indegestion tabs and injections for blood clotting but no painkillers as it was bank holiday this monday i couldn't get hold of a doctor plus I was to tired to do anything I live alone so nobody to help I just feel like I was rushed in and out and thats it take care of yourself I am very self reliant and usually don't like people fussing over me but a little help wouldn't have gone amiss this time I feel lost and don't no what to do for the best but I do hope everything goes better for you I think everybody reacts different to the lapband I expected to feel totally different a new me but I dont oh take no notice of me im just feeling down today oh and sorry for the wait for my reply Iv only been studying computers for 2 months

:smile: Yes I am it's nobodys business but my own Iv had 50years of fat condemnation from thin pretty people and when you manage to loose the weight on yoyo diets over the years that's when there jelousy sets in and the snide remarks it dosn't matter how many years you have known them just be true to yourself there looks and size will fade character and personality dosn't Stay strong people and Goodluck to all and everyone of us.

Some people keep things secret some dont but this boils down to certain attitudes of the people that are around you.

I am lucky that everyone around me is positive about weightloss and the fact that i am trying to help myself be that with a band or a diet.

I have yoyo dieted for some 10years loose 50Lbs here and there bu overtime i always put it back on.

When i decided on the op i told my family/friends and work mates. Since doing this i have had nothing but support including from work who have setup a gym membership for me. I dont associate with people that have no respect for what i am doing. At the end of the day i have put up with 20yrs of peoples looks and jokes about weight and now i am loosing weight they get jealous and say i am cheating...well FU to be honest. I dont hang around with anyone that has an issue with what i am doing, i have more things to worry about than your petty thoughts on banding.

So tbh if you have a good family and social group tell them. If you dont - keep it a secret and you'll never feel your 100% honest with anyone of them.

For me i want to be able to talk about how i feel to my friends and family and not have to think - watch my mouth and i cant say that or you cant say this.

be positive, surround yourself with positive people and loosing weight is a whole lot easier.

I have long been a proponent of not telling. I've kept my circle of those in the know to a select few. No one at work except my boss will know and just a few family members. As I lose, I may change my mind, but for now I'm sharing with my LBT friends here and getting support from my surgeon and his staff and the support groups I attend.

I did have some wonderful insight from a very good friend who has struggled with weight loss that I will share. The more people around you who do know, the more accountable you become! Oh yeah, the food police will be everywhere and I have to ask myself is that why I don't want them to know? I am not that much of a 'private' person and I don't particularly care what others think and I believe I'm pretty thick-skinned about comments. I do want the support of those around me and I am certain that they will be told sooner than later. I guess it will just have to be on my terms. Another comment that I've heard that I feel is really relevant is, You can't unring a bell, once you've told people the cat is out of the bag and won't be put back in!

I'm getting banded on June 22 and can't wait!

KayVee the thing i dont understand is why you think people would be food police? The whole reason you tell people is not so that they should know or have an opinion about it. Its done in my eyes because those people are there to help and support you all the way, if they are real friends.

There is nothing worse than having a real bad day - taking it out on someone because you cant tell them why you feel ill or why you cant eat something or worse why you just been sick. It happens.

Your true friends and family are there to help you on your journey and like mine some have already helped me.

Work got me a Gym membership, my friends wife asked me over as i wanted some recipes and she is going to show me some home made Soups and other goodies for my diet.

I just think that the reason people whisper behind peoples back or act differently to you etc is that they think your not telling them the truth, or that they are upset that you cant be honest with them. Most people wont even care what your doing as they have their own lives to live, its only us fatties that think they will talk about us or that they will think a certain way as thats the way we think about ourselves.