Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone keeping their surgery a secret?

I haven't told anyone by my mother, DH, and day care provider for my kids because she had to pick them up the day after surgery. Other than that I feel great. I didn't tell my employer, and had vacation scheduled for a week off. Ended up going back to work two days post op. Felt great. Good luck!

Thats ok BillOh each person is different. I must say though that times are different from what they used to be. Everyone watches the TV shows with people getting the WLS and a lot know about it.

All i know is i feel so much better that everyone knows to be honest. I did feel that trying to make an excuse would backfire when any of my friends asked me what was up as it would mean digging the lie that bit further, also i am terrible at lying.

The reaction though of my work/friends/family is by far the best thing i did by telling.

When your obese and everyone can see you need help how or why would anyone want criticise you for getting the help. I dont have any health issues associated with being over weight but its only a matter of time.

I just wanted to point out that you should not be afraid, you can be honest about what you have done. Its a positive thing for everyone that had WLS that your doing something about your weight - not just sitting there feeling sorry for yourself and blaming metabalism or family genes or other crap, and still putting the crap food in your mouth.

I think everyone that has WLS deserves to be supported by their family/friends/work as it will benefit them all in their relationships with you. Sorry to rant...

DowntownJuli

Thanks so much for your support. I still don't know what to do at this point. Your right though,I probably should start by telling one person and seeing how it goes. I've just decided who I'll start with. Thank you. I'm also looking for a therapist right now to help me with these weight, lapband issues. I went to my monthly lapband support group at my doctor and it felt good to be with others just like me. I couldn't believe how good people looked; it was great. I'd love to update you as I go along.

Thanks so very much.

Caryn

I have my surgery tomorrow and I've only told my best friend. I'm pretty ashamed that I can't do it on my own, but I feel really good about this decision. It really is no one's business but I know that my kids are going to figure something out. Oh well! they are grown-ups now and they will just have to deal with it.

I've been telling EVERYONE. I waited until a few weks before to tell my co-workers. It's amazing. Everyone I tell seems to know someone who has had the surgery and has given me great success stories, which has really been helpful.

I have my surgery tomorrow and I've only told my best friend. I'm pretty ashamed that I can't do it on my own, but I feel really good about this decision. It really is no one's business but I know that my kids are going to figure something out. Oh well! they are grown-ups now and they will just have to deal with it.

I certainly understand that sentiment, and is part of the reason I didn't tell a lot of people. Despite having the surgery, I still credit myself with most of the work in losing weight. I know how difficult it has been over the last 25 years raising a child, trying to stay employed, keeping a good marriage, I didn't have enough left in me to try and lose weight. I'm proud of myself for making the decision to go forward. That said, I have to admit to looking down on the guy from the Biggest Loser who had bypass and still was 400 pounds.

I have recently had a Lapband fitted at Abbey Sefton Hospital Sefton Suite Aintree could anybody else who has had this procedure done their please contact me at pixie0151googlemail.com Thank You

I told everyone and now I wish I hadnt. Im usually very open about everything so as soon as I had my surgery date I told alot of my family and friends. I wish I hadnt because these last 6 months have been hard for me. I hadnt lost any weight before my last fill and all of the questions of my non weight loss made me feel horrible and like a failure. I found myself having to explain the band and how it works to everyone after their disappointing looks. I really didnt think it would take me this long to start losing. 5 fills and 8.8ccs later it looks like this might be it!

As time went by and I had no weight loss I stopped telling people. Dealing with the looks and questions of people I had already told was enough.

My family, and closest friends are the only one who know about my surgery. I guess the people I think should know about it know. I really don't want a lot of people knowing at this point. I also told my haridresser, only because she had it done also, and was one of the people who helped encourage me to get it done.

Hi Patt first off goodluck with the op tomorrow everybodies different but I feel this is one of those things that are very personal and private to yourself if you feel the need to tell someone chat on here where nobody really knows you or find someone you connect with at the hospital who's having the same op that way you can share your fears and thoughts without wondering if people are going to judge you or even worse keep asking how much weight you have lost. if you feel you need to talk to someone Im no expert but i will listen and help as much as I can your not on your own my email add is pixie0151@googlemail.com

I have not told anyone I am even contemplating surgery.

You don't have to it's personal to you everybodies different if you want to chat or ask questions come here or ask at the hospital for a support group that way you can get things off your chest (excuse the pun) plus have a bit of privacy Goodluck

My family, and closest friends are the only one who know about my surgery. I guess the people I think should know about it know. I really don't want a lot of people knowing at this point. I also told my haridresser, only because she had it done also, and was one of the people who helped encourage me to get it done.

Hi michelle telling your hairdresser is like putting it in the paper and announcing it. lol but if thats what you feel comfortable with that's fine i just feel anything as personal as this should be kept private we have enough to deal with getting our weight and life on track without hushed whispers and pointing fingers plus you will come across jelousy that's human nature I wish you all the best for the journey you are about to take Goodluck

Well I wasn't telling anyone either but what should happen at the surgeons office yesterday - I bumped into someone I know.

OK not a friend, not my hair dresser but a beautician I know . LOL. Thats almost the same as a hairdresser. She asked what I was doing there and I said the same as her! Plus side is that being banded herself she can't be negative about the choice to have a band.

She just had surgery 2 weeks ago and is having a lot of pain at the moment so was telling me (jokingly) not to do it!

I AM JUST GETTING STARTED ON MY JOURNEY TO BETTER HEALTH AND A GREAT LIFE. MY FRIEND JUST HAD IT DONE AND TOLD ANOTHER FRIEND OF OURS AND ME. WELL THE OTHER FRIEND WAS NOT SUPPORTIVE AND ACTUALLY NEGATIVE:frown:. SO I HAVE DECIDED TO ONLY TELL MY TWO OLDEST DAUGHTERS WHO HAVE GIVEN ME THE THUMBS UP AND MY FRIEND WHO HAD IT DONE AND ONE COWORKER. I DON'T NEED TO BE WATCHED AND SOMEONE CHECKING TO SEE WHAT I'M EATING. ALSO YOU KNOW WHAT THEIR GOING TO SAY "TO BAD SHE COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT ON HER OWN AND NEEDED TO RESORT TO THAT". MAYBE JUST MAYBE AS I GET FUTHER ALONG ON MY JOURNEY I WILL CHANGE MY MIND. BUT WHAT I AM THANKFUL FOR IS ALL OF YOU AND THIS WONDERFUL WEB SITE.:) TAKE CARE!