Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

essential travel post banding

As a school administrator, I do not have many choices of banding dates. I have secured July 13th, 2009 for the date of my procedure. Since then, I have found out my goddaughter is getting married. I will need to fly out of town the following weekend of July 17th. For those of you who have had the procedure, do you see that as a workable possibillity to travel 4 days after the banding?

Basically, you should be fine. Maybe you'll get a little tired, so naps might be a good idea. The biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is that you will be on the post-op liquid diet and it will be much better if you take stuff with you. If you have to stay in a hotel, get a room with a fridge and microwave and take your liquids with you if you drive or shop after you get there if you fly.

I traveled from California to Ohio 3 days post banding and it was not a problem. I only drank a little juice on the plane. I was a little uncomfortable in the seat, but it wasn't too bad. It is very workable to travel right after if you are careful . . . the walking is no big deal, you just want to avoid lifting and have a seat when you can.

-you will be sore so make sure you bring a comfortable pillow for the traveling to protect your incisions

-bring your breathing excercise thing they give you in the hospital

-be careful what you pack- as you cannot do any heavy lifting

-keep hydrated by sipping water- bring a special cup

-as said above, make sure you bring your own liquids since you will not be able to eat anything else for the first few

-bring your gas x strips and pain medication- liquid tylenol

-bring some saran wrap to cover your incisions because you don't want to get them wet while showering and you cannot take a bath

everyone's recovery time is different. I had my surgery on a wednesday and was back at work on monday and hating myself. Sitting down a lot helps. To me, it just felt like someone sucker punched me reallllly hard. Your food intake will be minimal, so keep that in mind to your daily activities and make sure take it easy.

Talk to your surgeon. A HUGE concern is blood clots. That's a potential on any plane flight for any person and becomes more so on us obese people post op. The doc may give you instructions like "get up and walk for 5 minutes every 30" or some such.

It really is not an optimum time to travel. Even a week later would be better

You probably won't need to saran wrap your torso (most docs don't restrict showers beyond 24 hours or so) but you will be sore, you will be hungry and must NOT eat ahead of your post op diet, and you may be "not all there". Just think; the combo of no food, pain meds, surgery etc can alter the old mental status a bit.

And if you are one of the unfortunate people who have severe gas pain etc for up to 2 weeks post op, you'll be in misery.

It may go off without a hitch but I'm a "girl scout" type...I would move the surgery or cancel the trip.

As a school administrator, I do not have many choices of banding dates. I have secured July 13th, 2009 for the date of my procedure. Since then, I have found out my goddaughter is getting married. I will need to fly out of town the following weekend of July 17th. For those of you who have had the procedure, do you see that as a workable possibillity to travel 4 days after the banding?
How long is the flight?

i would tell your surgeon and see what he suggests. he may give you a prescription to prevent blood clots (ie, with a needle).

Don't do anything until you ask your doctor about traveling.

We have to fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage to have our surgery anyhow...he keeps us down there for about a week after to make sure all is well...

Thanks to all responders!! After reading all reflections, It appears the best course of action is talk to the doctor and if he gives me the green light I will travel very cautiously and let hubby handle all luggage....I may even request the "ride" down to the gate!