Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slime and PBing question

If I slime or PB, or both am i putting my band at risk for slippage or other problems? I have been getting a lot better about not sliming or pbing (just a learning process), but i have to wonder if i am doing damage when i accidently slime or pb?

Probably not. A PB does not involve stomach muscles or that heaving we all know and hate that is vomiting. Sliming is just a heck of a lot of saliva and that shouldn't have any effect on the band. It would be better to avoid PBs, just because it's usually indicative that you are eating too fast, taking bites that are too big, or not chewing particularly well, but I don't think it harms anything other than, perhaps, your pride if it happens in public.

yeahh i had a PB in public last night...wasn't so bad...i just got up and made my way to the bathroom! I'm still learning....it gets better everyday =]

You were lucky. One friend of mine had a PB (her first) at dinner one night while on a cruise. Had no clue what was happening so it happened at the dinner table in fronto f 7 other people. We were all friends of hers so it was okay, but she was super embarrassed. Another friend tells the story that she and her husband were at dinner with their 2 kids. Sitting in a booth and her husband was on the outside seat. She felt the PB coming and told him to "get up get up, I've got to get the bathroom" but he just didn't get the urgency, so she ended up with the results of the pb landing in his lap and freaking him out....and sending her kids into gales of uncontrollable laughter because dad was so freaked out, LOL.

PB stands for Productive Burp. Thats when food will come back up in a burp. I've had this happen once... since then I've majorly chewed my food. I couldn't stand the sensation!

Specifically, it happens when you eat too fast, take too big a bite and/or don't chew well enough. You swallow it and it gets stuck. You've probably experienced being stuck but this is a really really bad "stuck". Then you start producing a lot of saliva, sometimes it's foamy, and then the food that's stuck comes back up. Contrary to what some say, it is NOT vomiting. All that comes back up is more saliva and the food that got stuck. No partially digested food mixed with stomach acid, no heaving, just the food that got stuck gets regurgitated.

also...some of the time when i drink a bit of Water right after swallowing food...i get a PB..and yes drinking while eating after the band is technically a no no (sometimes i can't help myself)...but i am quickly learning not 2 since it hurts so bad when i do drink while eating...it sucks lol

PB stands for Productive Burp. Thats when food will come back up in a burp. I've had this happen once... since then I've majorly chewed my food. I couldn't stand the sensation!

Thanks so much

Yes, you are putting your band at great risk if you do it often. A PB *does* involve heaving, well for many people it does (for me its a very violent occurrence), unless you've got incredibly slack valves that just let it gurgle back up. The whole action of pb or vomiting is your muscles working in reverse to eject food, and that puts your band at risk. You may be one of the *lucky???* ones who just opens her mouth and out it comes.

If it happens more than occasionally, the two most likely reasons are a) you're not eating properly on continuing to eat things that just dont agree with you (chew even slower, take even TINIER bites) or :thumbup: you're just too tight.

YOu can be too tight without reflux, heartburn, etc. The band was never actually designed to keep you entirely satisfied on half a cup of Protein only food, its a tool meant for a more balanced diet in smaller quantities, so you are really meant to stay loose enough to eat cereals, vegetables and fruits. If a lot of those foods are off your menu, you're probably too tight. If your band is at a restriction level where you never feel hunger, you're probably too tight. Think about your diet, are you unconsciously choosing slider foods - no not ice cream and Cookies, but have you severely limited your diet, always choosing yogurt for Breakfast, always taking the easy option for lunch? Does fear strike whenever you're eating out and not in complete control of the menu? If so, you're too tight.

What the band should do for you is enable you to eat less than you did, but still eat a complete diet. Unfortunately, it never turns out that easy for most people and we nearly all need a little more control than is ideal, I think the band's pioneers were not fat people themselve, lol and took the overly simplistic view that just coz we were full we would stop eating.

But by being tight enough to make pbing and sliming a regular event, you do run the risk of causing damage to your band AND to your body, your teeth and esophagus will not thank you either.