Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get away w/o having upper GI?

I wasn't required to have an upper GI. The doc did find a hiatal hernia when she was in there to do the operation and just fixed it then. I think all insurances are different in their requirements. Just check with your surgeon, let them know your fears and you should be fine. Get a surgeon who understands you and will go that extra step to help alleviate your fears. Don't let a test stop you from being banded. You can do this!:crying:

My mother, who had Chrones Disease, had many endoscopy and colonoscopy done. They always did them same visit and she was out every time.

My daughter had to have the endoscopy and she also was out.

I'm petrified about having an upper GI endoscopic exam. Is this purely an insurance company requirement? Does anyone know if you self-pay if you can forgo this exam? I don't want to do it; in fact, it's a deal-killer as far as I can see. For those of you who had it, would you describe the experience. They "say" you'll be asleep, but my husband had a colonoscopy that they told him the same thing; he not only wasn't asleep, he watched the procedure on the monitor until it started to HURT and told them. Their response was yeah, it can hurt in the tight turns! That's kept me from having a colonoscopy, period. The upper GI scenario sounds like it'd have the same outcome. Yeah, you'll be asleep (wink, wink) until they've got you in there and it's too late to escape. I'm really freaked out this. I've had a nuclear stress test and Echo cardiogram and that was no biggie, but wouldn't want to repeat it. Can anyone comment on using ins. vs. self-pay, test-wise? Thanks very much.

I'm seeing doctor today for 1st consult. Nervous.:crying:

I was self pay, and never had one. My surgeon didn't require it if his patients hadn't had any GI problems in their history.

I did not have to have one, but DH and 2 of my kids have had one for other reasons and none of them thought it was bad at all.

I had to do an upper GI but I drank barium so the x-ray could be done. No pain...instead I just drank a thick, chalkie tasting Fluid that had the barium in it.

Fortunately that wasn't a requirement for me! I would have done it though. Its worth it!

As other said it depends on the surgeon. I had a barium swallow upper gi series thing today. The stuff you had to drink tasted nasty but it is all good. I want this bad so I don't care if I have to drink dog crap to get it.

I didn't have to have the camera down my throat part.

Are you talking about an upper GI or an upper endoscopy. They are two different procedures. Upper GI is when you swallow the barium and they do x-rays, they don't stick anything down your throat. The upper endoscopy is when they put the camera down your throat. I had one once before and was knocked out for it. The reason I am having one, per my doctor's refferal, is because I have a history of GERD and NSaid use. There is nothing in my insurance policy that requires it.

I had the consult with the surgeon yesterday, 5/13/09. We discussed the upper GI endoscopy - not the barium swallow - and I told him my concerns. I also told him that I don't trust doctors to tell you the truth; that elephant was staring at me so I had to bring it up. He said because of my age (60 but I swear to God, look 45), he would insist on the scoping procedure. He also started talking colonoscopy, but I guess I had that "bolt" look in my eyes cause he said he would not insist on that as a prerequisite for surgery. I had full cardio workup last August, so he won't ask for another one of those UNLESS I don't get the surgery before August. He did say that doctors will/do talk down to their patients and tell them "oh, this is nothing, this won't hurt, etc." so he understands where I'm coming from. He said if you want to be out-out as in general anesthesia, they can do that too. I feel better about things now and I do want to pursue the surgery. The thing is my husband and I are at the tail end of a whole house renovation which is almost done, then we'll move in and then we have to sell a house, so putting surgery in the middle of these two major things didn't sound like a great idea, but hey, what-the-hell-ever. :)