Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I drink a cup of regular coffee each morning. Rarely a second cup and no other caffeine as I don't drink sodas or coffee drinks. Went for first pre-op drs consultation and was told to start weening (sp?) from coffee. Anyone that has been banded drinks any coffee?

Each doc is different regarding caffeine. Mine had it on the "no way" list but when I asked I was told it's because it is an appetite stimulant TO SOME! (get that...TO SOME. For some it is an appetite suppressant!)

I've had 1 cup of coffee a day, and caffeinated sugar free tee (about a quart a day) for YEARS. I am still "indulging" and am fine. The thing is, if you put cream and sugar or so on in your coffee, the empty calories are a waste.

So ask your surgeon WHY he has coffee on the "don'ts" list and use your judgment.

I will say, though, that I didn't have coffee for my pre and post op times; all told about 3 months. I didn't need to wean, either (no headache or withdrawal; I guess my body is meant for caffeine LOL) but I gave it that long while I healed.

i have a cup or 2 each morning.

i don't add anything to it, i prefer a good quality & black.....i will take the left over and pour into ice trays and use as ice cubes for my Protein Drinks, extra boost.

I was also told "no way, never" because of the appetite stimulant reason. I have been drinking it since I was 2 and it does not stimulate my appetite, so I drink it, just as much as before and I have lost 80 lbs so far and I am RARELY ever hungry. I also have a venti non fat caramel mocha every day from Starbucks (only 2 pumps of mocha and 4 pumps sugar free caramel, 220 calories 17 g protein).

coffee has been talked about on this board many times and I am not sure there is "ONE" right answer. I have heard not to drink it because it is a diuretic,because it is an appetite stimulate , it can erode the band (?) I dunno. I drink it and have never stopped. My doctor has no problems with it. If the ONLY reason my doctor told me not to drink coffee was because it could stimulate my appetite I would not be overly worried about it, you know your body best, if you find your abnormally hungry after drinking coffee then ,maybe take it under advisement..other wise :thumbup: perk up!

coffee is a touchy subject for me...lol..I live in Alaska and we drink coffee like a southerner drinks iced tea. I had a pot a day habbit I broke last week to prepare for my preop diet I started today. It hasn't been that bad at all. For me,it is an appatite suppresant,but as much as I love my coffee,I love my Creamer that comes with it...so it's best I just stay away all together! lol

Gotta say, if my doc had said no coffee I wouldn't be banded! I drink a lot of coffee every day, and have for over 30 years. The only comment of my doc about coffee was related to the 'additives'...the sugars, syrups, milks etc...all those extra calories. As I drink plain black coffee (nothing added), it is a zero calorie life requirement!!!

i drink coffee every day. i didn't, however, the first 6 months or so.

let's face it--regardless of what doctors say--if most of us are going to be successful we need to make life changes. so, i felt it was necessary for me to omit it in the beginning, but once i started to feel more in control i started to allow myself the things i like and crave--like coffee. moderation is a key thing--and with coffee that's no exception.

for me, when i drink it i just include those calories and work out my meals with that in consideration. is it worth it to you to subtract like 50-100 cal of your food for it (assuming you add milk)? it so, you may want to incorporate it back into your diet at a later date.

When I had my WLS they brought me coffee the next morning for Breakfast, and I was at a hospital that specialized in it. My doctor was fine with it. It doesn't stimulate my appetite AT ALL. If anything it suppresses it. I add a shot of vanilla slim fast in mine. It gives me a few extra Vitamins and grams of Protein. I limit it to two cups a day. I also buy high protein milk from Borden. 10 grams in a cup. If I'm out of Slim Fast I use that. I have a cup of Borden milk at bedtime. It helps me sleep.< /p>