Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss pills with Lapband

I was wondering if anyone has taken adipex or any other type of weight loss pill after being banded and what have been your results?

thanks

I was wondering if anyone has taken adipex or any other type of weight loss pill after being banded and what have been your results?

thanks

if u go to my profile, and look under my statistics, and look at posts by ahb08 u should find a post i commented it has "phentermine" in the title...which is the generic of adipex.

I got banded in 2007 and the band did not work for me even getting filled I was still gaining weight. I started taking a diet pill in January '09 and I have lost 40 lbs. These pills cut hunger and craving.

Be careful with that PHENTERMINE!! Phentermine is the same drug that was the first ingredient in what they called PHEN/FEN years ago. Phentermine is still considered safe by the FDA even though the Fenfluramine is what caused problems and is no longer on the market. I started taking those RX only diet pills in 1992 weighing 287. I lost 75 lbs. As soon as I stopped taking them I gained it back up to 311. I have yo-yo'd on those pills for 17 years now. Last year got up to 320, took Adipex again. I lost 40 lbs, stopped and 4 months later I was back up to my current 320 again. MY lap band surgery date is 06-18-09. I can't tell you how many of those pills I've taken over the last 17 years or how many lbs I've lost & gained back each time. YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT ON PHENTERMINE. YOU WILL GAIN IT BACK + MORE WHEN YOU STOP. I promise you this. I am a self pay lap band patient who is using my PHEN/FEN settlement from the drug maufacturing companies to pay for my surgery. It took me 7 years to get this money and I'm using it to fix what diet pills did to destroy my mind, body, emotional state. Those pills are a crutch , gave me a false sense of security and they are very addictive. I was never addicted physically, just emotionally dependant. It's easy to do because they are effective,but it's temporary and will not bring any permanent/sustained success. I have to do 3 weeks of Optifast starting 05-28-09. I just found out today. For about 30 minutes I considered using Phentermine to get me through because my dr said I could. Then I stopped and thought. Hey, this is my chance to start over so I'm not going backwards. It's worth suffering through 3 weeks of 800 calories a day shakes to change my life and move forward & that's what I'm gonna do. I will not tell you not to take RX diet drugs to help you with the band. That's your choice. I can only tell you what could happen if you do from my own experience and wish you well. I will say if you've never done them---It's like having that very 1st drink/smoke. Something thats really great right now! Something you might really regret later. Good luck in your decision. I think if/when I get stuck after banding & can't lose weight I will definately try getting another fill before I resort to RX diet pills again. I hope this helps someone.

Edited by downtownjulibrown
accuracy

thanks

I noticed your jersey...... GO BEARS:tt2:

thanks

Phen Phen is different from phentermine. If I remember correctly..phen phen was a combination of two medications (the the other half of it was the one that was giving people heart problems etc.)

I was not losing weight after having my fourth fill despite doing all the right things. I went to a weight loss doctor who was I was actually referred to by my surgeon because this doctor is an expert in weight loss issues and does thorough blood tests after surgery. I dont know if my surgeon advocates phentermine or not because I have not seen him for two months. My fifth fill was postponed for an extra month. (Surgeon totally overbooked)

Back to phentermine. I read the post below of the horror story and I would just like to respond that most people who have been on a diet have regained the weight and more. (I have done that a million times) And I have never taken phentermine before now. I have had a great experience with phentermine. It helps cravings and appetite control. You cant be on it forever but in my case it has been a good thing. I have finally started losing weight and dont have any adverse side effects. I do have to say the first week I was on it I did feel buzzed and tired all at once and it wasnt a good feeling. That went away and I now feel totally normal minus the cravings and appetite. I think its a very personal decision. Of course I wouldve preferred to have lost the weight without the phentermine. However this is working for me and I am very pleased. Once I get to the proper restriction ..I am hoping it will be easier to do the band alone. So obviously there are differing opinions on the subject. Several people have quite strong opposition to it. But as for me..I find it extremely helpful at this time. Hope that helps.

Fen-Phen (or Phen-Fen??) was a combination of phentermine and fenflouramine (sp?). The second one (fenflouramine) has been taken off the market.

Phentermine was FDA approved in the US in 1959.

I've been using it to help me drop weight before surgery. It's very effective, but everything I read indicates this is only a short term thing. Like most drugs for weight loss, it loses its efficasy over time. When you go off, your appetite (and the weight) will return.

For me, the drug is a wonderful way to drop the weight now in order to reduce my surgical risk. But it's the band that will help me keep my appetite at bay and feel full on a reasonable amount for the long run. The pill can't do that.

Fen-Phen (or Phen-Fen??) was a combination of phentermine and fenflouramine (sp?). The second one (fenflouramine) has been taken off the market.

Phentermine was FDA approved in the US in 1959.

I've been using it to help me drop weight before surgery. It's very effective, but everything I read indicates this is only a short term thing. Like most drugs for weight loss, it loses its efficasy over time. When you go off, your appetite (and the weight) will return.

For me, the drug is a wonderful way to drop the weight now in order to reduce my surgical risk. But it's the band that will help me keep my appetite at bay and feel full on a reasonable amount for the long run. The pill can't do that.

Well I have been banded since Dec. 08 and lost no weight. One cant be sure that the band is the answer either. Everyone is different. My girlfriend has done very well but I havnt fared so well. If you read the posts you will see that some people lose alot of weight right after surgery and some dont. Now I hope that when I get to the correct restriction that the weight will come off. I am very aware that the pill is a temporary fix and that the weight can come back. So can the weight come back with the band. THere have been MANY people who have gained back their weight with the band only. So this is not a phentermine problem/issue only. This is an issue for every overweight person banded or not. Diet pills or not. Anyone who thinks that the band guarantees that the weight will stay off is wrong.

You're right in that I'm counting on the band to work as it's meant to. I understand it doesn't always go exactly right. I've been following the LapBand for about 5 years, and it's been over a year since I made my decision and put things in motion. I've been reading on this site for a year, and have read a lot in many other places. I agree that things don't always play out the way they're meant to. For now, I'm counting on things going as expected. I accept that they may not and will deal with that if and when it happens to the best of my ability.

Good luck finding the right restriction.

You're right in that I'm counting on the band to work as it's meant to. I understand it doesn't always go exactly right. I've been following the LapBand for about 5 years, and it's been over a year since I made my decision and put things in motion. I've been reading on this site for a year, and have read a lot in many other places. I agree that things don't always play out the way they're meant to. For now, I'm counting on things going as expected. I accept that they may not and will deal with that if and when it happens to the best of my ability.

Good luck finding the right restriction.

Thank you. I hope that you are one of the ones who loses weight quickly after being banded. Do you have a surgery date? I think its very good that you have been researching and reading for five years. Thats the way to do it so that you go into it knowing as much as you can. Good luck with your banding.

Be careful with that Adipex!! They called it PHEN/PHEN years ago. I started takinging those RX only diet pills in 1992 weighing 287. I lost 75 lbs. As soon as I stopped taking them I gained it back up to 311. I have yo-yo'd on those pills for 17 years now. Last year got up to 320, took Adipex again. I lost 40 lbs, stopped and 4 months later I was back up to my current 320 again. MY lap band surgery date is 06-18-09. I can't tell you how many of those pills I've taken over the last 17 years or how many lbs I've lost & gained back each time. YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT ON PHENTERMINE/ADIPEX. YOU WILL GAIN IT BACK + MORE WHEN YOU STOP. I promise you this. I am a self pay lap band patient who is using my PHEN/PHEN settlement from the drug maufacturing companies to pay for my surgery. It took me 7 years to get this money and I'm using it to fix what diet pills did to destroy my mind,body,emotional state. Those pills are a crutch and they are very addictive. I was never addicted physically, just emotionally dependant. It's easy to do because they are effective,but it's temporary and will not bring any permanant/sustained success. I have to do 3 weeks of Optifast starting 05-28-09. I just found out today. For about 30 minutes I considered using ADIPEX to get me through because my dr said I could. Then I stopped and thought. Hey, this is my chance to start over so I'm not going backwards. It's worth suffering through 3 weeks of 800 calories a day shakes to change my life and move forward & That's what I'm gonna do. I will not tell you not to take RX diet drugs to help you with the band. That's your choice. I can only tell you my what will happen if you do from my own experience and wish you well. I will say if you've never done them---It's like smoking that very 1st cigarette. Something that tastes great right now! Something you might surely regret later. Good luck in your decision. I hope this helps someone.

I have lost weight and gained back more (alot more) on every diet I went on. I started off at a very good weight of around 150 in my 20s and 30s. Then proceeded to diet my way up to gain over 100 pounds. You dont need phentermine to do that. All you need to do is diet often enough which screws up your metabolism. Most yoyo dieters are not phen phen users. Any yo yo dieter will tell you that they have gained more weight each time they lost and regained. Its not a phen phen issue. Its a metabolism issue. Not to say that you didnt have problems with phen phen. My best friend had heart damage done by phen phen so I am aware that it was bad. However that weight loss and gain has happened to probably 100% of the people here and without the help of diet pills of any kind.

I have lost weight and gained back more (alot more) on every diet I went on. I started off at a very good weight of around 150 in my 20s and 30s. Then proceeded to diet my way up to gain over 100 pounds. You dont need phentermine to do that. All you need to do is diet often enough which screws up your metabolism. Most yoyo dieters are not phen phen users. Any yo yo dieter will tell you that they have gained more weight each time they lost and regained. Its not a phen phen issue. Its a metabolism issue. Not to say that you didnt have problems with phen phen. My best friend had heart damage done by phen phen so I am aware that it was bad. However that weight loss and gain has happened to probably 100% of the people here and without the help of diet pills of any kind.

Then I have this ? 4 you. That if you are already a yo-yo dieter, you've already been banded, do you think you really want to add an amphetamine now. Phentermine is just legal meth. You said yourself you can yo-yo without it so why add drugs

to your problems? It's no fun after the new wears off and they don't work anymore. You are right back where you started. I'm asking this not to offend you but just to give you something to think about. Where do you go after banding & diet pills don't work? What's gonna be your next option?

Then I have this ? 4 you. That if you are already a yo-yo dieter, you've already been banded, do you think you really want to add an amphetamine now. Phentermine is just legal meth. You said yourself you can yo-yo without it so why add drugs

to your problems? It's no fun after the new wears off and they don't work anymore. You are right back where you started. I'm asking this not to offend you but just to give you something to think about. Where do you go after banding & diet pills don't work? What's gonna be your next option?

No offense taken. Like I said before...I am hoping that once I reach the proper restriction that I will no longer need the phentermine. Right now it seems to be helping alot. I dont have a problem with it being legal meth. (Yes I hear the groans and the gasps.) Its not bought on the street..its legal and prescribed by an MD. So I do appreciate what you are saying. I understand the concern. And I am aware that when you stop the med that the hunger and cravings come back. But thats where I am hoping that the surgeon will have gotten me to the proper restriction point and I will be in a better place than I am now. I do appreciate the lively debate on the subject. All opinions are valid.

Edited by married
re worded

Just be aware that it can really change your blood pressure, which is well known to make big changes in how tight your band is on any given day.

When you get closer to your sweet spot, and if it is changing your blood pressure, you are going to want to stop taking it, or you will be chasing the sweet spot forever.

Just be aware that it can really change your blood pressure, which is well known to make big changes in how tight your band is on any given day.

When you get closer to your sweet spot, and if it is changing your blood pressure, you are going to want to stop taking it, or you will be chasing the sweet spot forever.

Ok could you please clarify what you just said? It changes your blood pressure how? Raises it or lowers it? And does that tighten the band or loosen it? My blood pressure is the same not lower or higher than before. So I am guessing that if you are saying that if someone would be chasing their sweet spot..that means the band is looser? And is this from personal experience? Would a person who normally has a fluctuating blood pressure reading or high blood pressure have the same effect? Or are you saying that its just phentermine that does this? What if someone has low blood pressure ..do they experience always chasing their sweet spot? Perhaps you are saying that people with blood pressure issues cannot find their sweet spot? Most people have fluctuationg blood pressure. I see my doctor tomorrow and I will ask him if he has heard of this before. Is there any medical literature that would back this up and if so where? I am very interested to hear your answer.