Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jumping With Joy!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible that you can not go directly to Dr. Cierny and you have to go to Cosmic Bliss? Just wondering?

Is it possible that you can not go directly to Dr. Cierny and you have to go to Cosmic Bliss? Just wondering?

Hi, the short answer is that I don't know. I did find this press release on the InterWeb

Demand for Weight Loss Surgery Soars. BMI Clinic in Brno opens new wing for UK & US Patients.

which seems to suggest that it is a close partnership, which is what it seemed to me while I was there.

I don't want to look like I am advertising or anything, it's just impossible to explain where I went without mentioning the UK side of the operation as they accompanied me out there, arranged the flights & hotel for the 1st night, the next 4 were in the clinic and spent a lot of time with me before and after the op.

All the best,

Hi, the short answer is that I don't know. I did find this press release on the InterWeb

Demand for Weight Loss Surgery Soars. BMI Clinic in Brno opens new wing for UK & US Patients.

which seems to suggest that it is a close partnership, which is what it seemed to me while I was there.

I don't want to look like I am advertising or anything, it's just impossible to explain where I went without mentioning the UK side of the operation as they accompanied me out there, arranged the flights & hotel for the 1st night, the next 4 were in the clinic and spent a lot of time with me before and after the op.

All the best,

I do not believe any clinic is going to turn down a multi-thousand dollar surgery because they did not go through CB. I'll apply and see what happens.

Fine by me, please post the results.

Even though I knew it was pointless I decided to find out what it'd cost to "cut out the middle man." Mr Ackroyd's secretary informed me that as my bmi is under 50 (I lost a stone and it dropped to 49!) a gastric bypass would cost me £10,500 and more if over 50. Now as I haven't a passport and would hate travelling alone that means taking a ferry to England for a consultation and see a dietician (£100) at a cost of £189 each. That's a total of £360 for a boat journey for me, Dad and most likely my brother and their motorhome, £540 total if Mum came with me. This is for one day!

So let's say I went over for a consultation, it'd cost me £360 plus £100 to see Dr Ackroyd and the dietician that's £460. Let's say I got a date for surgery and we all go over to England again, Mum comes too. That's £540 plus £10,500 for my op. Total cost so far is (wait til I get me calculator lol) £11,500. I then get home and within a week or two of surgery I would have to go back to England for post-op check ups and dietician appointments, even if I got a plane and bus by myself to get to my destinations it would be too expensive for me unless I win the lotto (fingers crossed lol).

That's why these companies exist in the UK, they understand that the National Health Service is snowed under (it's aparently even worse health care than Estonia, according to a national newspaper) and that even if people qualify for wls they have a battle on their hands to get, with health trusts shifting the goalposts at every opportunity. These companies provide people with a self-pay service which means a slightly cheaper package deal with surgery (with approved GMC surgeons, not "back street butchers") and aftercare at a venue convenient to where we live.

With the Weightloss Surgery Group I can have my consutation here in Northern Ireland (which I have had in December 08), travel once over to England with my family for my op, they can go and see the sights etc while I'm in hospital, then come home, recuperate and see the bariatric nurse Wendy 45 miles away for all my post-op checks etc.

My GP told me he doesn't know anyone who has had wls. That's how rare it is here but there's a definate need for it, just no money and the facilities have been withdrawn even for people who can self-pay so I don't even have the so-called priveledge of paying for the operation in my own country. So I have no other choice unforunately. I have to go elsewhere or continue as I am getting sicker and sicker and gaining more weight.

The health care system in the usa sounds wonderful. The doctors seem to really care, whereas here we are "just a number."

This thread has helped me to decide to go for wls and get a life. :wink2:

Even though I knew it was pointless I decided to find out what it'd cost to "cut out the middle man." Mr Ackroyd's secretary informed me that as my bmi is under 50 (I lost a stone and it dropped to 49!) a gastric bypass would cost me £10,500 and more if over 50. Now as I haven't a passport and would hate travelling alone that means taking a ferry to England for a consultation and see a dietician (£100) at a cost of £189 each. That's a total of £360 for a boat journey for me, Dad and most likely my brother and their motorhome, £540 total if Mum came with me. This is for one day!

So let's say I went over for a consultation, it'd cost me £360 plus £100 to see Dr Ackroyd and the dietician that's £460. Let's say I got a date for surgery and we all go over to England again, Mum comes too. That's £540 plus £10,500 for my op. Total cost so far is (wait til I get me calculator lol) £11,500. I then get home and within a week or two of surgery I would have to go back to England for post-op check ups and dietician appointments, even if I got a plane and bus by myself to get to my destinations it would be too expensive for me unless I win the lotto (fingers crossed lol).

That's why these companies exist in the UK, they understand that the National Health Service is snowed under (it's aparently even worse health care than Estonia, according to a national newspaper) and that even if people qualify for wls they have a battle on their hands to get, with health trusts shifting the goalposts at every opportunity. These companies provide people with a self-pay service which means a slightly cheaper package deal with surgery (with approved GMC surgeons, not "back street butchers") and aftercare at a venue convenient to where we live.

With the Weightloss Surgery Group I can have my consutation here in Northern Ireland (which I have had in December 08), travel once over to England with my family for my op, they can go and see the sights etc while I'm in hospital, then come home, recuperate and see the bariatric nurse Wendy 45 miles away for all my post-op checks etc.

My GP told me he doesn't know anyone who has had wls. That's how rare it is here but there's a definate need for it, just no money and the facilities have been withdrawn even for people who can self-pay so I don't even have the so-called priveledge of paying for the operation in my own country. So I have no other choice unforunately. I have to go elsewhere or continue as I am getting sicker and sicker and gaining more weight.

The health care system in the usa sounds wonderful. The doctors seem to really care, whereas here we are "just a number."

That's a lot of unnecessary expenses. Needless trips, etc.

Me? I'd just call the doctor, set up a date, and get it done. And that is what I did. No need to pay someone to hand you the name of a doctor.

All in all the problem here isn't that others use this needless source of naming a doctor. The point is that advertising is not acceptable on a support board. That's all. That's the problem, the only problem. The company in question is free to pay for advertising but so clearly and obviously using a support board for advertising is not acceptable or ethical.

When someone comes here, doesn't even talk about the surgery type but just the company that referred them it's a little weird.

Get to know us first, find out what we are like. See our posting styles. Then try to sell us crap.

WOW! You lost over 45 pounds in 1.5 months? I'm amazed... congratulations!

Hi Elisabethew,

Thanks for the encouragement. How is your weight loss coming on. I've begin to get a lot of heart burn when I eat is that normal for every one.

Anyway thanks again.

Take care

Rukhshandah

weight.png

CONGRATULATIONS RUKHSHANDAH -- YOU'VE GOT TO BE WALKING ON CLOUDS TODAY .... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. I'LL BE ANXIOUS TO FOLLOW YOUR PROGRESS.:wink2:

Hi Vegasangel,

Thanks for the encoragement and yes it does sometime feel like I'm walking on clouds. The result has been amazing beyond my expectations.

The great feeling you get when some makes a comment on how much weight you loss and how good you are looking. I cant explain the happiness inside me that at last that something I suffered from most of my life and now I'm getting results.

Anyway cant wait to see your resluts on here.

Take care

Rukhshandah

weight.png

Congrats on your success!

Hi MacMadame,

Thanks so much. Looking at your results you have had a great succes in weight loss surgery too. I cant wait to hit target on my weight.

Take care

Rukhshandah

weight.png

Why does your entire family have to travel with you for everything and what post-op care do you need with WLS unless you're getting the band? I called the surgeon's office, scheduled an appointment, and traveled alone to and from Mexico.

Hi Elisabethew,

Thanks for the encouragement. How is your weight loss coming on. I've begin to get a lot of heart burn when I eat is that normal for every one.

Anyway thanks again.

Take care

Rukhshandah

weight.png

Are you taking an acid blocker such as Nexium or Prilosec? The surgeon I use places patients on one for 3 months post-op. I suffered with horrible heart burn pre-op but not at all since I had the revision.

That's a lot of unnecessary expenses. Needless trips, etc.

Me? I'd just call the doctor, set up a date, and get it done. And that is what I did. No need to pay someone to hand you the name of a doctor.

All in all the problem here isn't that others use this needless source of naming a doctor. The point is that advertising is not acceptable on a support board. That's all. That's the problem, the only problem. The company in question is free to pay for advertising but so clearly and obviously using a support board for advertising is not acceptable or ethical.

When someone comes here, doesn't even talk about the surgery type but just the company that referred them it's a little weird.

Get to know us first, find out what we are like. See our posting styles. Then try to sell us crap.

All I was doing was explaining the situation re wls in Ireland/UK. I am not selling or advertising anything, I wish I was cos then I would be paid for it. I was merely pointing out how unnecessary and expensive it is for me to go directly to a surgeon.

I thought this was a supportive site because we are all in the same boat but perhaps when the vsg board grows it'll be spilit into local sections like the band board and I can chat to people who understand my frustrations with the lack of options in my country.

I wasn't even going to bother answering this post but I wanted to try and explain myself as I thought I had done in my previous post. If some people cannot or will not understand where I am coming from then we'll have to agree to disagree. Once again I am NOT advertising, I was merely looking for help and support to decide on the type of wls best for me and I am disappointed by the hostility shown.

All I was doing was explaining the situation re wls in Ireland/UK. I am not selling or advertising anything, I wish I was cos then I would be paid for it. I was merely pointing out how unnecessary and expensive it is for me to go directly to a surgeon.

I thought this was a supportive site because we are all in the same boat but perhaps when the vsg board grows it'll be spilit into local sections like the band board and I can chat to people who understand my frustrations with the lack of options in my country.

I wasn't even going to bother answering this post but I wanted to try and explain myself as I thought I had done in my previous post. If some people cannot or will not understand where I am coming from then we'll have to agree to disagree. Once again I am NOT advertising, I was merely looking for help and support to decide on the type of wls best for me and I am disappointed by the hostility shown.

Total crap, you haven't been shown the least bit of hostility. I posted my opinions, just like Jane if you prefer to see a difference in opinion as hostility that one is on you and not me.

Dragging your family around with you for everything is a wasted expense. That's my opinion. I scheduled my surgery, went by myself, and drove myself home. No big deal. This passive aggressive stuff doesn't wash well. If you want to perceive that as pink flying elephants, that is your choice.

Hi Lyn,

I understand where you are coming from. I didn't even approach the local PCT to see if I could get my surgery on the NHS because the system is designed to defer as long as possible and some may say to hope you die waiting so lowering the cost!

There is a lack of options available here in the UK so I thought it would be OK to say how I got my surgery and how much it cost. Forgot we are the 51st junior state and have to ask permission :wink2: In common with many fat people I was bullied as a child and now I react very badly to bullying, hence the spat you have read.

The fact is that to get the surgery we need at a price we can afford we have to go to Europe and then things become more complicated as we have language barriers and other regulations. At such a stressful time I found it reassuring not to be trailblazing, plus I considered the price I was paying extremely good value.

I am still glad I did what I did. I weigh myself tomorrow but I can feel that I have already lost loads. I have not felt hungry but I am looking forwards to a softly scrambled egg on Tuesday.

I think I have changed psychologically the most though. I have hope now and that's amazing.

Anyway whatever you decide to do the very best of luck to you. You can drop me a private message if you like.

Cheers!

I take exception to the insuation that you feel you're being bullied and policed because you're from the UK. It's insulting to the people who post here. If you have a personal issue with someone, it's advisable to use the private message option.

Thank you,