Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB-ing a few times a day, too tight, slowed weight loss...

Hi all,

Would really appreciate some feedback or others who might be going through what I am. To synopsize - first two fills did NOTHING, lost 28 lbs. without restriction. Had third fill, was a charm. I think I have 4.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. Experienced restriction for first time. Lost an additional 10 lbs over the last two months, but am at a standstill for about a month now. Trying to come to terms with the fact that I may be too tight, but waited so long for restriction, I'm hesitant to have some removed. Here's what's happening: I am having A LOT of trouble eating most foods without throwing up. It seems the healthier the food (chicken, veggies, salad, etc.) the worse the PBing. I was doing so well for the first 3 months in terms of food choice, but now I find myself eating the wrong foods because I am hungry and they are the only thing I can get down. Can you way "eating around the band"??? I even started picking up junk foods again (chocolate, Cookies, fatty foods) because it's more likely they will go down w/out PBing. Breakfast is a nightmare. I guess I'm tightest in the AM. But in truth, I am throwing up undigested foods (recently swallowed) sometimes up to 3-4 times a day. It's come to the point where I am eating soft foods or liquids (yogurt, soups) when I am out bcuz I'm fearful to get "stuck" and have to throw up the food when I'm in work and around others. I'm also very hungry lately and am getting very frustrated that I cannot successfully eat the kind of foods that will keep me fuller longer. I am thinking maybe the fill will loosen somewhat, but it's already been over a month and things are pretty much the same. it's weird though, bcuz sometimes I can eat certain foods and other times I can't get the same foods down. Also, and here's the real downside, I'm not losing any weight and in fact gained two lbs. over the last couple of weeks. Just goes to show you - you can have restriction and still put on weight by eating the wrong foods. I'm frustrated and know I have to change my food choices but am concerned that the "right" foods won't go down successfully. Do any of you think it's totally taboo to eat soft and mushy foods for a while and still stay healthy. I am SO reticent to have some saline taken out of the band, but I have to consider something different SOON. I have to start losing weight again and most importantly maintain a healthy diet and body.

Any help or suggestions are coveted!

Thanks!

Lori

I had the same problems. It sounds like you are too tight. You should have some taken out. Even the slightest amount will help you.

You may be too tight...

But before you decide to unfill--are you absolutely sure you are chewing as well as you should? When the fills first start to work, it's hard to get used to chewing, chewing, chewing because you've gone so long without having to worry about it so much. I know for a fact that when I pb --usually on the first bite where I've eaten too fast/too big of a bite because I'm so hungry, or on the last bite that I should not have taken but ignored the signs because it was good....

Try egg salad, canned tuna or chicken (with light mayo of course) for foods that are good in Protein but may be easier to get down.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Crystal

Hi Lauren-I was having the SAME exact problem after my last fill except I'm not losing as much as you. One thing that I recently discovered was JUICING. I absolutely love it and I've never been one to just drink vegetable juice (i.e. v-8) for the fun of it. I always thought it would taste too nasty to get down until I just bought a juicer and actually tried it with veggie/fruits I like. I bought a Jack Lalanne juicer at Target and I have been juicing about twice a day ever since. I FEEL so much better because I'm getting the nutrients my body needs. If you want more info or have any more questions, please feel free to email. It has had an amazing impact and I feel so much better!

Lauren, don't think for a minute than an unfill means losing all your restriction. The simple fact is an unfill of a fraction of 1cc can make all the difference between what you are experiencing and being able to eat healthily and not suffering. Your weight loss is likely at a standstill because of your inability to take in adequate nutrition....your body is in "starvation mode" where it holds on to anything you take in because it is uncertain when more nutrition is on the way. And, you can be tighter at different times of day which could explain why one time you can manage a particular food and the next time you can't. Your doctor's job is to help you, so call and make an appointment to go in and work this out. I was too tight once, had a bit of an unfill and later had another fill that took me slightly past where I had been too tight and everything was fine!

I'm no expert and not even banded yet LOL but I agree with Cathy. :)

I have heard though that lots of people have real tight bands in the am, and therefore those people recommend liquid breakfasts (Atkins shake, or homemade juiced meal)

Good luck!

It sounds to me like you skipped right over your soft spot and are just too tight for comfort. What is worse is that the constant pb'ing can sabotage your band and set you up for some serious problems such as a slip. Your weight loss seems to already have stopped due to food choices as you said so you know that the restriction you have now is not working for you.

I agree with other posters in that a tiny, fractional unfill can make a big difference. Sometimes unfills as small as .10 or .25 cc's can loosen you up enough to still have great restriction, but be able to eat.

If you start relying too much on mushies and shakes to get nutrition in, you are defeating the purpose of the band. It is intended to allow you to eat a healthy but small amount of food and keep that "full" feeling for several hours. When you are eating healthy Proteins and veggies, they definitely stick around for a while. Slider foods go through to quickly and setup cravings and blood sugar spikes . . . but at least they go through the band which is one reason why people that are too tight can start to gain.

It sounds from your post like you already know you should get a bit of an unfill but are a little nervous about making the change. Most of us who have been banded for a long time have had to make that decision including myself.

Just do what you need to do. Remember that banding is all about balance and moderation . . . being too tight can be just as bad, and is certainly riskier, than being too loose. If it hasnt loosened on its own in a month and you are starting to gain a little, it probably wont change on its own. Good luck and keep us posted. :0)

Boos, Crystal, Stephanie and Cathy... thanks so much for the feedback. As far as chewing well enough - agreed, I sometimes forget to chew as well as I should, but really for the most part, I have no other choice if I want to get something down. I think it is very telling when you are PBing on YOGURT and other soft foods - so chewing may not always be the issue. The juicing idea sounds good for nutrient intake, but it doesn't sound like something we should consider for the long run and in place of "real" food. This journey should really be a lifestyle change we can live with and that should include being able to eat solid foods to stay healthy. After reading your posts and living with this for the past couple of months, I realize I should call my doctor and schedule an unfill... even if it's only a half of a cc. I am getting so frustrated - depressed really - over not being able to eat real foods and swallow normally. It's not uncommon for me to have to stop my car sometimes to throw up on the roadside with something I just can't swallow or digest. Now that's kind of ridiculous and is good cause for me to reconsider how tight I am. So, the reason I am eating some junk food is because it actually goes down and I need to have the feeling of actually swallowing food sometimes! I do realize that sometimes the PBing gets worse when I forget to chew, take too big of a bite, or eat that extra forkful - but it's happening too often now and it can't be good for my health or esophagus. Time to get into see my Dr. and have a little taken out. Thanks again for the great advice!

All the best to all of you. I'll keep you posted.